Thread: Okay, one more Cy Young Award Trivia, When being voted for, he usually won it...

Okay, one more Cy Young Award Trivia, When being voted for, he usually won it...

There are 34 pitchers whom appeared on a ballot 3 or more times through 2011. Of those 34, 7 have a 50 percent or better award winning percentage. Hence if they appeared on the ballot, usually they wound up winning the award.

Name them.

Brett saberhagen has to be one

Koufax, Clemens, randy Johnson, Maddux, lincecum, Pedro

I've now guessed more than the 7 so so done has to be wrong, but I'll add Steve carlton

Clemens is right, winning 7 times and voted for 12 times
    So is Big Unit, going 50-50 being voted for 10 times, and winning the award 5 times
    Koufax is also right, going 3 wins in 4 tries
    And so are Lincecum (2 out of 4) and Saberhagen (2 out of 3)

Pedro Martinez shows up in 7 years, but won only 3, and Maddux was voted for 9 times with 4 wins.

Incidentally, of the 58 players to appear on exactly 2 ballots, Denny McLain is the only two time winner, and the only one to win on his first try, 7 would win it on their second appearance.

you didn't comment on Carlton (post #4).

Sticking with guys that won 3+ as being likely candidates, I'll guess Palmer, although I'd be suprised if that is right

Blog Entries
    Jim Palmer?

Oh yes, missed it. 4 wins out of 6 tries for Lefty.

And no to Palmer. Last one is one of the greats but sandwiched inbetween two eras of tons of standouts.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    Oh yes, missed it. 4 wins out of 6 tries for Lefty.

And no to Palmer. Last one is one of the greats but sandwiched inbetween two eras of tons of standouts.
    Seaver also won three but I'd be surprised if he wasn't on more than 6 ballots.

Seaver, whom's Met years caused me to do this project, is on 10 of them from 1969 through 1981!

Only Clemens and Johnson have that many, or more.

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    Jim Palmer?
    Oh and for the record, Palmer won it 3 times out of 8 tries.

I think I've guessed everyone with 3+ Cy's, I'll start on the guys with 2. How about Gaylord Perry?

Another couple of hints, this guy, like Tim Lincecum and Randy Johnson is 50/50 in terms of this. Also like Randy he was a master of intimidation on the field.

The 6 so far:
    Roger Clemens 7 out of 12
    Randy Johnson 5 out of 10
    Steve Carlton 4 out of 6
    Sandy Koufax 3 out of 4
    Tim Lincecum 2 out of 4
    Bret Saberhagen 2 out of 3

And for the record, Dennis Eckersley, Ferguson Jenkins and Ron Guidry hold the record for most times on the ballot with only one CY award to their names with 6.

The list of most times voted for but never won? Here it is of players with 5 or more times on a ballot:
    9 Mike Mussina
    8 Nolan Ryan
    7 Jack Morris
    6 Mariano Rivera (also most times a reliever has been voted for)
    Roy Oswalt
    5 Phil Niekro
    Don Sutton
    Rich Gossage
    Dan Quisenberry
    Kevin Brown
    Andy Pettitte

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    Another couple of hints, this guy, like Tim Lincecum and Randy Johnson is 50/50 in terms of this. Also like Randy he was a master of intimidation on the field.

Bob Gibson?

Johan Santana?
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    Johan Santana?
    Gibson was the last one needed...