Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Braves 2012-13 offseason thread

Reed Johnson resigned pending medical, 1 year deal with option for 2014 reportedly. LF and leadoff hitter still the wish list plus another bench hitter. Things are starting to take shape, the LF and leadoff could potentially be filled by Prado/Simmons, but would be preferable to get a proven leadoff hitter IMO.

turn on, tune in, chill out.........

Backup infielder Ramiro Pena signed on 1 year deal, wonder if Prado will stay in left next season?

Quote Originally Posted by skar View Post
    Backup infielder Ramiro Pena signed on 1 year deal, wonder if Prado will stay in left next season?
    I think that would only happen if they don't get a new left fielder and decide that Juan Francisco can start at third.

I would love to see the Braves pick up a left fielder who could lead off, but I don't think that they will. Wren liked what he saw in the Dominican Republic, and says that Francisco is really conditioning during this off season. Looks like Juan will be at third and Prado will be in left. I'd rather them take that direction rather than overpay for a free agent who might not pan out.

I think given a full season, at least against lefties, Juan will impress.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Im honored to go into the Baseball Hall of Fame with such a great group of men. - Tom Glavine.

It's starting to sound like the Braves are prepared to stick with what they got at the moment, unless something comes up for relative peanuts. Maybe this is to free up some cash for some contract negotiations with the current roster?

Good point, skar. It will be important to look beyond 2013 as the potential free agents hit the market. I would expect Wren to do the same thing with J-Hey that his forerunner did with McCann; sign him before he hits the market. That's assuming that Heyward has the same kind of year that he did in '12.

I agree. Juan has looked very good at times. How is his defense? I must confess that I haven't paid as much attention to that as I have his bat. We will miss number 10 at the hot corner...

His range has been iffy but a lot of that has to do with his shape. He's got a terrific, strong arm.

Im honored to go into the Baseball Hall of Fame with such a great group of men. - Tom Glavine.

Still leaves the question of who will bat leadoff for next season? Any ideas?

Most likely it will be Prado, especially if Evan Gattis or Ernesto Mejia end up in left field. Heyward and Upton both have no business leading off for different reasons, and no one else is capable other than Martin.

How about Andrelton Simmons?
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    How about Andrelton Simmons?
    I'd rather have someone who's not likely to crash given a full season of playing time and adjusting while getting the most plate appearances on the team. Right now, Prado is the best bet. He can't steal bases, nor do I want him to, but I think he's proven that his batting skill is appropriate for a classic leadoff or two-hole hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    Right now, Prado is the best bet.
    Martin Prado can do everything. I can't wait to see him pitch in the seventh and eighth innings of games.

Martin Prado can do everything. I can't wait to see him pitch in the seventh and eighth innings of games.
    Har har har. It is to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Bravos View Post
    His range has been iffy but a lot of that has to do with his shape. He's got a terrific, strong arm.
    I heard he shed some weight this offseason. Is this true?
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

Quote Originally Posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    I heard he shed some weight this offseason. Is this true?
    Yeah, I think so. That should help if he has a bigger role at third.

Happy New Year everyone! My apologies for not being around as much in the past few years, but 2013 I'm committed to being on BBF much more!

Here's a list of Spring Training non-roster invitees (according to David O'Brien):

Pitchers
    Ryan Buchter, left-hander Yohan Flande, Sean Gilmartin, JR Graham, left-hander Dusty Hughes, right-hander Wirfin Obispo, left-hander Daniel Rodriguez, right-hander Gus Schlosser and Alex Wood.

Catchers
    Luis De La Cruz, Evan Gattis, Matt Kennelly, Matt Pagnozzi, Braeden Schlehuber and Jose Yepez.

IFs
    Nick Ahmed, Blake DeWitt and Joe Leonard.

OFs
    Todd Cunningham, Joe Terdoslavich and Jordan Parraz.
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Latest rumours on mlb are of a trade for Justin Upton. That looks good in theory and would free up Martin Prado as a full time 3rd baseman. Hope this could get done without to much sacrifice of prospects.

I would imagine that he'd like to get the hell out of Arizona at this point and that he would also like to reunite with his brother. Maybe he'll use his no trade clause to try and engineer that result, since he's already vetoed a move to Seattle.

Why is Arizona trying to dump Justin Upton?

Why is Arizona trying to dump Justin Upton?
    Well, for one, they have a surplus of outfielders.
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

Braves acquire Justin Upton and Chris Johnson for Martin Prado, Randall Delgado and two prospects.

Braves acquire Justin Upton and Chris Johnson for Martin Prado, Randall Delgado and two prospects.
    The prospects are Zeke Spruill and Nick Ahmed. I'm loving this proactive offseason, let's hope these moves translate to success in the postseason.
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Sad to see Martin go, but the contract extension seems to have been the deciding factor there, but at least Andrelton stays with the Braves, hope this all works out well. Still wondering who's gonna lead off though?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast