Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catcher: block plate tag or sweep tag?

That's great. Then teach the straddle... Or whatever you want.

Especially if none of your players ever expect to play at a higher level. But we are obviously talking about more than just your league here.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Quote Originally Posted by omg View Post
    Right but that's my point. Why don't we just teach catchers to straddle and drop the tag? I equate it to this play: runner on first base, deep fly ball to the outfield and unexpectedly the outfielder makes the catch. Now the runner at first, who didn't think the ball would be caught, has to retreat to first before the outfielder's throw. How would the first baseman make the tag? Typically, straddle the base and drop the tag.
    Uh... this is not a tag play; the first baseman just needs to touch the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Major View Post
    Uh... this is not a tag play; the first baseman just needs to touch the base.
    What? No way. When did they start making that a force? I forgot to mention that the outfielder really trapped the ball, the umpire signaled no catch but nobody saw this, and the batter retreated to the dugout before he touched first. Or take this scenario: I was playing first base. Anyways, I'll just have to go with the analogy that the catcher's tag is like any other infielder's tag since I can't get the base runner running into an infielder's tag from the same direction as a base runner from third to home would be coming very easily. Maybe in a rundown. I guess a tag by the third baseman on a throw from an outfielder is the best I can do.

And hey, don't mention this to anyone, okay? Let's just keep it between us. Let's just forget about it.
    Last edited by omg; 11-11-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    That's great. Then teach the straddle... Or whatever you want.

Especially if none of your players ever expect to play at a higher level. But we are obviously talking about more than just your league here.
    What higher level is there? I'm basically talking hs ball here where sliding in to home is a standard nationwide rule, or at least not barreling into the runner is. I'd be surprised if runners are allowed to barrel over the catcher in college ball but maybe they are.

The same basic notion applies to sliding into second base on a double play. The base runner is not allowed to take out the fielder in hs ball and below.

So I think there are certain adjustments that can be made in hs level and below to get an out and stop a run. I don't see these hurting anyone's development if they are going to go pro. I guess Legion has pro rules, maybe some showcase/summer leagues. i think in hs ball a coach is looking for an easier way just for the fielder to make the catch since that is far from a given.
    Last edited by omg; 11-11-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Even then, the "straddle" would work poorly on a throw from the right field corner, or from the cutoff man who is on or near the right field line.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    Even then, the "straddle" would work poorly on a throw from the right field corner, or from the cutoff man who is on or near the right field line.
    Yes, I think there would have to be an adjustment for a variety of throws just as an infielder would have to adjust. For example, the 2bman doesn't really straddle on a throw from the left fielder. But the overriding point is why we would we teach the catcher to block or even swipe from the side of the plate if the rule is such that the runner cannot knock over the catcher. I'm just thinking aloud and didn't come up with this stuff until now. Even as I introduced the thread I thought 2 options: block or swipe. But after thinking about the rules, I'm proposing that the catcher tags like any infielder. Unless someone can come up with a good reason to the contrary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12