Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many players received 45% of the Writers' vote but never got in?

Blog Entries
    JR Hart, since you shout so stubbornly "OLIVA belongs!!!", who else do you think belongs, using that same criteria?
    "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
    George Brett

Blog Entries
    I made a program that included the following: ASG appearances (public perception in their time), HOF Monitor and Standards as well as Black and Gray Ink (Bill James's creations that can be related to HOF level, old-school sabermetrics) and WAR, WAR7 and JAWS (really liked this data collected by Jay Jaffe). Made a correlation to HOF Level and came up with this list of players most deserving of HOF enshrinement, that are not in the HOF thus being eligible:

1. Pete Rose
    2. Jeff Bagwell
    3. Larry Walker
    4. Tony Oliva
    5. Mark McGwire
    6. Joe Torre
    7. Alan Trammell
    8. Joe Jackson
    9. Harry Stovey
    10. Dale Murphy

Pretty neat. And going to use it for all players, included HOF to see a new ranking. But the thing is, that Tony Oliva is up there in the discussion.
    "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
    George Brett

Quote Originally Posted by yankillaz View Post
    I made a program that included the following: ASG appearances (public perception in their time), HOF Monitor and Standards as well as Black and Gray Ink (Bill James's creations that can be related to HOF level, old-school sabermetrics) and WAR, WAR7 and JAWS (really liked this data collected by Jay Jaffe). Made a correlation to HOF Level and came up with this list of players most deserving of HOF enshrinement, that are not in the HOF thus being eligible:

1. Pete Rose
    2. Jeff Bagwell
    3. Larry Walker
    4. Tony Oliva
    5. Mark McGwire
    6. Joe Torre
    7. Alan Trammell
    8. Joe Jackson
    9. Harry Stovey
    10. Dale Murphy

Pretty neat. And going to use it for all players, included HOF to see a new ranking. But the thing is, that Tony Oliva is up there in the discussion.
    nice list although I'm not that hip on Joe Torre as a player being in the hall.

Quote Originally Posted by yankillaz View Post
    JR Hart, since you shout so stubbornly "OLIVA belongs!!!", who else do you think belongs, using that same criteria?
    I'm not sure what my criteria is. I think that Oliva was dominant enough before his injury to get special consideration along with the other career shortened inductees.

I think that Steve Garvey is hugely overlooked. He was seen as a dominant player when he played.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123