Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mariner's Off-Season Thread

And he is there to replace Kawasaki and Figgins. Guess there is always a need for a utility guy.

Craig Robinson quits the Yankees to become a Mariners fan:
    http://blogs.thescore.com/mlb/2012/1...g-my-religion/
    "Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." - Warren Spahn

Mariners appear to be one of the three big players for Mike Napoli. Texas and Boston both like him, but seem only willing to go three years while Napoli wants four.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

--Napoli would definately improve the Mariners offense, but he isn't exactly a great fit and 4 years seems too long for a guy with his skill set. As a 1B he is a good, not great, hitter now and probably no better than average before the end of the deal. The M's best 2012 hitter (Jaso), highest ceiling young hitter (Montero) and best prospect (Zanino) are all catcher/DH so Napoli would be addressing one of our strongest areas not one of of main weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --Napoli would definately improve the Mariners offense, but he isn't exactly a great fit and 4 years seems too long for a guy with his skill set. As a 1B he is a good, not great, hitter now and probably no better than average before the end of the deal. The M's best 2012 hitter (Jaso), highest ceiling young hitter (Montero) and best prospect (Zanino) are all catcher/DH so Napoli would be addressing one of our strongest areas not one of of main weaknesses.
    I agree. But the M's are in a bit of a tight spot. They've been losing in recent years, the rest of the division is tough to overcome at this time, and the park history does not exactly welcome hitters when it comes to free agency. Think if you were Napoli. You're 30 years old and with a 3-year deal, you'll likely be back out on the market at 33 (relatively young for a 1B/DH type by then). What will you be able to bring to the table if half of your games in this deal are played in a park that suppresses the one true asset you have - power? He could very well average out a .270 hitter with a 20 HR cap each year in Safeco, wheres Texas or Boston have deeper lineups and/or better hitting parks with which to help push out some big numbers.

I think the only way Seattle can really get him is to offer 4 years with a 5th option and/or blow everybody else away money-wise in a 3-year deal.

And if it comes to that, I simply cannot see paying for a 2011 year that very well may have been an outlier as his 2010 and 2012 seasons were simply okay - especially in the park he played in.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Not surprisingly, Figgins passed thru waivers and now has been released. M's still on the hook for $8M or so.

Nothing big from the M's at the Winter Meetings so far. Lots of talking, not much else.

There is some talk of a trade for Billy Butler of Kansas City. He hit a career high 29 HR last year. But he has been solid the last 4 years (131 OPS+) and has only sat out 11 games in those 4 years, so young, healthy and good at the plate. He is a 1B/DH kid of guy (more games at DH last season). If he could play most of the year at 1B, then I would be happy with him. It looks like he has 3 more years on his contract, $8 million for 2 years then a $12.5 Million team option. I would be happy with that.

He is only 26 years old at the moment and 3 more puts him at 29, still young. We shall see what may come of this. I think we would lose some prospects on this one but not sure exactly what it would take.

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the bidding for Shane Victorino is down to the Indians, Red Sox and a third unidentified team.

I personally think it's the Mariners in this.

Looks like Victorino is off to Boston.

But the M's are now connected with Bourn, 29 year old speedster from Atlanta.

And Swisher is still on the market as well. Zduriencik has said he would be willing to pick up 2 Outfielders, possibly one who can play multiple positions (i.e. Swisher). Bourn gives us a speedy leadoff hitter and Swisher gives us a 1B/OF option with some HR power.

I would be happy with those two.

--I would still be most excited to land Hamilton. Swisher is a very nice fit though since he could play either RF or 1B depending on who comes through amoung our young hitters. Bourne would be a nice adition, but not really a difference maker (a poor man's Ichiro?). If he is our second biggest FA pickup then we've had a terrific offseason. If he is our biggest then we've been Figginsed again.

--I would still be most excited to land Hamilton. Swisher is a very nice fit though since he could play either RF or 1B depending on who comes through amoung our young hitters. Bourne would be a nice adition, but not really a difference maker (a poor man's Ichiro?). If he is our second biggest FA pickup then we've had a terrific offseason. If he is our biggest then we've been Figginsed again.
    I think for any of them, the M's would have to add an extra year without dropping the overall average. If Texas or such is offering Hamilton 4/$100M, the M's need to go 5/$125 IMO as an example. Reason is, Hamilton can't hit in that park. His .224 average in Safeco is the lowest anywhere he's had at least 100 PAs. That won't bode well if he thinks he can get one more deal in four years with ballooned numbers. I can see him putting up .275 / 27-30 HR seasons there and I'm not sure you want to pay that kind of money for those results.

Just as I finished typing, it came across that the Mariners signed the next best thing to Hamilton. Welcome Jason Bay

--Unforunately the inverse is probably true as well- we won't get those kind of results without paying that kind of money. When you've been down and out as long as the Mariners you have to pay a premium to get free agents to sign. Not adding talent will just keep that downward spiral going.
    --I'd rather overspend by 25 million to get an impact player who jump start the offense than overspend 10 million or whatever it takes to bring in a marginal upgrade. Of course its not my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Just as I finished typing, it came across that the Mariners signed the next best thing to Hamilton. Welcome Jason Bay
    --hopefully he is strictly a NRI who would have to earn his spot on the team in Spring Training. I doubt he has anything left, but the Ms haven't made any real commitment then I suppose even the slim chance of him bouncing back is worth taking a look at.

--Unforunately the inverse is probably true as well- we won't get those kind of results without paying that kind of money. When you've been down and out as long as the Mariners you have to pay a premium to get free agents to sign. Not adding talent will just keep that downward spiral going.
    --I'd rather overspend by 25 million to get an impact player who jump start the offense than overspend 10 million or whatever it takes to bring in a marginal upgrade. Of course its not my money.
    Absolutely understandable. I can attest to that first-hand as a fan since my local team (Phillies) had a brutal time getting FAs to sign without overspending - at least until CBP was built. Once hitters saw how well the ball carried there, it became a bit easier to sign them - and of course there's winning a WS that helps too.

I'm wondering if it doesn't simply make more sense investing in 2-3 small-ball types to help maybe win games. We saw how well Ichiro fared in that park, and I'd think others with his style may be able to do well also. Guys like the recently signed Juan Pierre could be golden there as many of his balls in play simply drop into spacious outfields - same goes for somebody like Bonaficio that Toronto's looking to move. Get fast outfielders to go along with the decent infield defense and maybe go the other route with money - invest into a full rotation. I don't know really. But if I was a hitter in free agency of any quality, the Mariners would absolutely have to blow everybody else out of the water with an offer.

--hopefully he is strictly a NRI who would have to earn his spot on the team in Spring Training. I doubt he has anything left, but the Ms haven't made any real commitment then I suppose even the slim chance of him bouncing back is worth taking a look at.
    There were multiple teams in on him which suggests he got a ML contract.

Bay can still hit lefties, sort of:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24424157

Sounds like Bay was given a 1-year, $1 Million deal. I am fine with that. If he can rebound then it is a great deal and if not, it wasn't a big investment. Sounds like the Mets are still paying him from his last deal so the money wasn't an issue with him so he is probably just happy to get a chance to play.

I know Hamilton is pretty much off the table but with the fences pulled in and all, he is someone that could take great advantage of it. Maybe we could sign Swisher AND Hamilton (and Bourn?). Not happening but maybe ownership will be feeling very nice and generous. Think then, if Bay could turn it around and Swisher is himself and Hamilton, I think we know we could get good results from him... we would all be happy.

I am going to continue to dream here in my corner.

Edit: The Met's are paying Bay his $18+ Million for 2013 plus a $3 Million Buy-out for 2014.
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 12-06-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Kendrys Morales to the M's for Jason Vargas. I like that deal for you guys. Vargas, to me, is very replaceable - especially in that park. Morales has shown he can hit in Safeco as well, and should add some needed power in the middle of the lineup. I'm assuming Justin Smoak takes the brunt of this move.

Decent radio interview with GM Jack Z. as he talks about the Morales trade and goes into some detail concerning the Josh Hamilton negotiations.

jack-zduriencik-talks-with-mitch-in-the-morning

Mariners sign Ibanez to a 1 year deal. If the Mariners are going to go "Back to the Future" with their transactions, they might as well do it with their uniforms and colors.

Mariners heavy into Morse from Washington right now along with TB & NYY. Makes sense since a FA couldn't be signed.

Justin Upton has rejected a deal that would have sent him to the Mariners today. No word on what the Mariners would have given up. According to Rosenthal and Morosi, the trade still could be revived.

Well, the word was Seattle would have traded Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin, Charlie Furbush and Stephen Pryor for Justin Upton.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast