Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep Spending

Keep Spending

1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

All I can say is: Huh
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” – Walter Lippmann

"Fill in any figure you want for that boy [Mantle]. Whatever the figure, it's a deal." - Branch Rickey

So if the Dodgers sign Ryu Hyun-jin they have to pay his Korean team $25.7 million and then also pay Ryu's contract. Wow.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    So if the Dodgers sign Ryu Hyun-jin they have to pay his Korean team $25.7 million and then also pay Ryu's contract. Wow.
    It's the same process that Darvish, Matsuzaka, and others have gone through.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

don't forget the overpayment they made for an unpolished Cuban last year

something like twice the contract of Cespedes for half the player

and the desperate and disastrous trades they made for Victorino, Blanton, Ramirez, Crawford, Becket etc etc etc that sunk them into a 8 game deficit by year end

you can spend all the money you want

you need to spend it wisely and on players with charachter

keep spending
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post

and the desperate and disastrous trades they made for Victorino, Blanton, Ramirez, Crawford, Becket etc etc etc that sunk them into a 8 game deficit by year end

you can spend all the money you want

you need to spend it wisely and on players with charachter

keep spending
    Sadly I think I agree with you! They seem to be spending for the sake of spending.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    It's the same process that Darvish, Matsuzaka, and others have gone through.
    Indeed... Nothing to see here. Spend spend spend...... Like Zito? One of the worst contracts in baseball?
    Last edited by StanTheMan; 11-11-2012 at 05:32 AM.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    Indeed... Nothing to see here. Spend spend spend...... Like Zito? One of the worst contracts in baseball?
    hey without zitos win the giants would have been eliminated this post season.

but still of course a bad deal. bad deals happen all the time there is no guarantee for anything in baseball. the dodgers certainly need to improve their farm system if they want to compete. just spending didn't work for the cubs and mets (not anymore since wilpon is broke and the cubs have epstein but they used to do it) and won't work for the dodgers.

but let's not juge the dodgers already. they are only one year removed from the broke ownership. it will take some time to field a good team. we will see if they are going to succeed.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and can’t run, most of the time he’s clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. – Dusty Baker.

Let's not judge the Dodgers... Is addressed to whom?
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

9royhobbsrf: don't forget the overpayment they made for an unpolished Cuban last year

the hated dodgers signed yasiel puig for $42M million... upon the recommendation of scouting director logan white... who... wait for it... wait for it...

had never seen puig play in a game.

"he's got a lot of pluses - power, speed, arm ... he's still a lot of a work in progress. he's a very intriguing player ... we don't have anybody in the system that can square a ball up like he does."
    -ned colletti, los angeles general manager
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

That's pretty funny... Never saw him play? Don't remember that part. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by stantheman View Post
    indeed... Nothing to see here. Spend spend spend...... Like zito? One of the worst contracts in baseball?
    .... Championship

On what grounds to you call Puig half the player that Cespedes was?

Their last seasons in Cuba

Cespedes: .424/.667 OBP & SLG, 1.2 K/BB ratio
    Puig: .430/.581 OBP & SLG 1.3 K/BB ratio

Cespedes has a power advantage, but he's 6 years older and in his power prime. I'm excited about Puig.

Blog Entries
    We get it, you hate the Dodgers.

Personally I see the Dodgers as a serious threat in 2013. Throwing a bunch of guys together mid-season often doesn't work out, but they have a whole off-season to add parts, and an entire spring training to see them gel. If the Dodgers spend wisely, they'll be a serious force in MLB for the next several years. Give any team an economic advantage like that, and they'll be tough to beat. Money doesn't buy championships, but it gives you a leg up on the opposition from the get-go.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

mlb radio did not agree with you

today they talked about the 2013 season and said the Dodgers have the most to prove with the least ability to do so

they specifically mentioned the weak starting pitching after kershaw

they also said the investment for the unproven korean player who would most likely be mid to best case scenario a 5th starter with a 4.5 to 5.0 era along with other spending would have been better suited to go after greinke or sanchez(?)

they said having an unlimited paycheck is one thing spending it wisely is another

Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    Personally I see the Dodgers as a serious threat in 2013. Throwing a bunch of guys together mid-season often doesn't work out, but they have a whole off-season to add parts, and an entire spring training to see them gel. If the Dodgers spend wisely, they'll be a serious force in MLB for the next several years. Give any team an economic advantage like that, and they'll be tough to beat. Money doesn't buy championships, but it gives you a leg up on the opposition from the get-go.
    Right now the Dodgers have too much talent not to be a threat in 2013.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Dodgers keep spending...

LOS ANGELES -- Two weeks after hiring former Seattle executive Bob Engle as vice president of international scouting, the Dodgers on Monday announced the hiring of six international scouts: Pedro Avila, Gene Grimaldi, Patrick Guerrero, Pat Kelly, Jamey Storvick and Mike Tosar.

The Dodgers also hired Josh Bard as special assistant, player personnel and professional scouts Willie Fraser and Scott Groot. Former Dodgers third baseman Bill Mueller, who served as special assistant, player personnel, will become a full-time professional scout.

Avila will be coordinator of Venezuela operations, Grimaldi will be coordinator of European operations, Guerrero will be coordinator of Latin America, Kelly will be coordinator of the Pacific Rim, Storvick will be the special assignment scout in the Pacific Rim and Tosar will be coordinator of Cuba and Mexico.

The international hirings are the latest in a string of decisions aimed at boosting the Dodgers' presence outside North America, a stated priority of new ownership.

Avila has been scouting Venezuela for 16 years, working with Toronto (1996-99), Seattle (2000-08) and the Texas Rangers (2008-12). He was instrumental in the signing of Felix Hernandez.

Grimaldi returns to the Dodgers, where he began as an international scout from 1990-2000. He also scouted for the Minnesota Twins (2000-07), the Cincinnati Reds (2008) and the Mariners (2009-12).

Guerrero had been with the Mariners since 2000. The son of legendary scout Epy Guerrero worked for Toronto in 1995, the Baltimore Orioles from 1996-98 and returned to Toronto in 1999 before joining the Mariners. Guerrero was instrumental in the signing of right-hander Michael Pineda.

Kelly, who resides in Adelaide, Australia, returns to the Dodgers, where he was Pacific Rim coordinator from 2000-05. He left the Dodgers to join the Mariners for the past seven years. Kelly played nine seasons in the Majors with the Yankees, Cardinals and Blue Jays.

Storvick, the first American scout based in Taiwan, had been with the Mariners since 1999. His role was expanded in 2008 to include South Korea. Storvick is a graduate of Faulkner State College and Oklahoma City University and a native of Anoka, Minn. Tosar played in the New York Mets, Yankees and Montreal Expos organizations from 1991-95. He was a coach in the Twins organization in 2002 and turned to scouting the following year and eventually scouted for the Mariners from 2005-10.

Bard caught for 10 years in the Majors (2002-11). He joined the Dodgers in 2012 and was a backup for the Triple-A Albuquerque Isotopes. Fraser comes to the Dodgers from the Angels, where he has scouted since 2010. Fraser pitched parts of eight seasons in the Majors with the Angels (1986-90), Blue Jays (1991), Cardinals (1991), Marlins (1994) and Expos (1995). He also pitched three years in Japan.

Groot returns to the Dodgers, where he worked from 1998-2004. Prior to joining the Dodgers, he started his scouting career with Minnesota (1991-98). After 2004, he worked as a sports management consultant and teacher and returned to scouting for Kansas City (2010-12). Mueller, who played 11 years in the Majors, joined the Dodgers in 2009 as an assistant to general manager Ned Colletti. He will join the Dodgers' scouting staff in 2013.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Right now the Dodgers have too much talent not to be a threat in 2013.
    the red sox were going to be runaway winners recently

how did that work out?

Quote Originally Posted by JR Hart View Post
    .... Championship
    How many more would they have were it not for Zito during his years with possibly the worst success to salary ratio in all of baseball?

Blog Entries
    the red sox were going to be runaway winners recently

how did that work out?
    Angels too

Now spending money on good scouting is an excellent idea for any team. Signing players without having seen them play is something else though.

The Dodgers wont be that much of a threat unless they upgrade their starting pitching. There's still plenty of time to do that, but one wonders if they will be able to do that.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    How many more would they have were it not for Zito during his years with possibly the worst success to salary ratio in all of baseball?
    8? 9?

really?????

8? 9?

really?????

No.

But Giants fans pointing fingers at LA for a costly contract for a pitcher while perhaps the most lopsided $'s to performance pitcher of today's game wears the interlocked SF on his head is the epitome of pots, kettles, and blackness.

EVERY team has players who are overpaid/underperforming. Posting "Championship" and nothing esle? Third grade playground stuff...
    Last edited by StanTheMan; 11-13-2012 at 11:17 AM.

EVERY team has players who are overpaid/underperforming

not in record numbers at a record pace like the Dodgers and on very unproven players or players with checkered histories and bloated salaries .... that all press entities are commenting on

that you miss that subtlety is not unexpected

that you harp on a team with 2 world series wins in 3 years is not unexpected either

hindsight with Zito is just that and you fail to appreciate the off field effect as a veteran Zito has had on the Lincecums, Cains and Bumgarners of this world
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 11-13-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast