Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 100 of 100

Thread: Keep Spending

  1. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    What evidence was presented? Spring ERA? LOL


    Kansas City has 23 wins this spring. Look out!
    so are you encouraged by the Dodgers pitching this spring?

    I know you want to change the subject because the numbers are there and don't help your case
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  2. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    are you saying the Dodgers (220 milion payroll) and the Marlins (36 million payroll) and the Astros (16 million payroll) are on even ground?

    if yes, too funny for words

    if no, that should answer your question

    some times it seems you don't like direct responses to your questions and move sideways to argue a different point

    that is not something that is encouraged
    How many questions have I asked you have flat out avoided?

    Where did the Giants rank in payroll last season?

    What matters? How teams finish on the field or how teams finish on the field adjusted for payroll?


    The floor is to you

  3. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    so are you encouraged by the Dodgers pitching this spring?
    No. Neither am I discouraged. How players perform over 20 or so innings doesn't change my opinion of them based on hundreds of other innings.


    Do you think the Royals are the best team in baseball based on their spring record?
    Last edited by filihok; 03-28-2013 at 08:39 AM.

  4. #79
    http://crashburnalley.com/2013/02/25...stats-warning/

    The dawn of a new spring for baseball is usually accompanied by a warning about spring training stats, especially if run in Sabermetric circles. In general, spring training stats do more harm than good for a plethora of reasons. Here are a few reminders from past springs.

    Placido Polanco (2012)

    Many thought Polanco had found the fountain of youth as the veteran hit .429 with a 1.050 OPS in 42 AB. The success didn’t translate, as you may recall. When he wasn’t on the sidelines battling injuries, Polanco hit .257 with a .629 OPS during the regular season, a disappointing end to an otherwise successful three-year stint with the Phillies.

    Ben Francisco (2011)

    Francisco hit his way into a starting role two springs ago, finishing with a 1.106 OPS, tied for the team lead with five home runs. When Francisco wasn’t able to replicate that success immediately, his playing time quickly vanished. His PA by month went from 107 in April to 74, 47, 23, 11, and 31 in the following months.

    Brian Schneider (2011)

    Schneider gave off the impression that maybe he had just a bit left in the tank when he ended his spring with a .901 OPS. He hit .176 with a .502 OPS during the regular season.

    Joe Blanton (2011)

    3.19 ERA in 31 spring innings. 5.01 ERA in 41.1 regular season innings before succumbing to injury.

    Cole Hamels (2011)

    6.67 ERA in 27 spring innings. 2.79 ERA in 216 regular season innings, finishing fifth in Cy Young voting.

  5. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    How many questions have I asked you have flat out avoided?

    Where did the Giants rank in payroll last season?

    What matters? How teams finish on the field or how teams finish on the field adjusted for payroll?


    The floor is to you
    looks like 8th last season

    I think you have to look at who spends what

    this isnt the NBA or NFL with salary caps

    the Yankees led the league in payroll like 25 of 30 years

    was it more important to win 3-4 championships or spend all that money and not win 85-90% of the time

    it depends on your point of view

    the Dodgers will spend 220 million dollars this year

    anything less than a world championshipwill be a failure IMO

    is is not how much you spend, it is how wisely you spend

    I queston the Dodgers wisdom and as evidence is last year's poor finish
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 03-28-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    An hour from Cooperstown
    Posts
    7,712
    In Spring Training, pitchers work on getting their arms in shape and and improving their secondary pitches. Unless they're competing for a roster spot, they aren't necessarily focused on getting hitters out. Spring Training stats are beyond meaningless for pitchers, imo.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

  7. #82
    1000s of major leaguers and you cherry pick 5 over TWO years?

    really?
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Second Base
    Posts
    10,227
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    Hasn't that been in response to the original Dodger bashing going on here?

    so it is OK for someone to respond but then I can't re-respond

    is that really your position?

    really?
    Respond and re-respond (whatever) however often you like. I couldn't care less. You started the thread to bash the Dodgers. Not me or anyone else. You continue to try and drudge up anything you can to continue to talk trash. Fine. Article I, buddy I get it. When someone tries to respond to your ridiculous attacks (you called Yasiel Puig an "unpolished Cuban" and couldn't even have the decency to attempt to name the young man), you start your attacks again in that condescending manner. I have agreed with you that some Giants were having a great Spring. I see that others have posted how well the "unpolished Cuban" was doing this Spring, and you just continue your attacks. Whatever.

    Now you are cherry picking a couple extra Dodger pitchers (de la Cruz does indeed have a 13.50 ERA, but in 2.2 IP, and Lilly seems done, and that is what teams are trying to determine, and he has only 1 GS) to "prove" who has had a better Spring. Conveniently, you have forgotten to mention the Korean Ryu (who you scoffed at paying so much for) and his 3.86 ERA, .207 BAA, and 1.07 WHIP this ST. Don't forget Kenley Jansen (you listed Romo for the Giants) and his 1.69 ERA in 5 appearances.

    If you want to continue to trash a team during ST, then so be it. Seems a bit ridiculous to me, but then again I am not all bent out of shape about the organization of other teams. There are far more important matters to get all cranky about, in my opinion. And no, I don't pay much attention to the Yankee Doom Watch. Why should I?
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

    "We always did know how to pitch to him, but some days when you're squatting behind the plate, Mr. Mize's bat swells up." Roy Campanella on how to pitch to Johnny Mize.

  9. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    In Spring Training, pitchers work on getting their arms in shape and and improving their secondary pitches. Unless they're competing for a roster spot, they aren't necessarily focused on getting hitters out. Spring Training stats are beyond meaningless for pitchers, imo.
    so a hitter who hits .526 is not important because he is facing pitchers working on pitches and not trying to get hitters out

    thanks for MAKING MY POINT

    FINALLY!
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    An hour from Cooperstown
    Posts
    7,712
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    so a hitter who hits .526 is not important because he is facing pitchers working on pitches and not trying to get hitters out

    thanks for MAKING MY POINT

    FINALLY!
    My pleasure, Roy. We don't always agree, but when you're right, you're right.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

  11. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    Respond and re-respond (whatever) however often you like. I couldn't care less. You started the thread to bash the Dodgers. Not me or anyone else. You continue to try and drudge up anything you can to continue to talk trash. Fine. Article I, buddy I get it. When someone tries to respond to your ridiculous attacks (you called Yasiel Puig an "unpolished Cuban" and couldn't even have the decency to attempt to name the young man), you start your attacks again in that condescending manner. I have agreed with you that some Giants were having a great Spring. I see that others have posted how well the "unpolished Cuban" was doing this Spring, and you just continue your attacks. Whatever.

    Now you are cherry picking a couple extra Dodger pitchers (de la Cruz does indeed have a 13.50 ERA, but in 2.2 IP, and Lilly seems done, and that is what teams are trying to determine, and he has only 1 GS) to "prove" who has had a better Spring. Conveniently, you have forgotten to mention the Korean Ryu (who you scoffed at paying so much for) and his 3.86 ERA, .207 BAA, and 1.07 WHIP this ST. Don't forget Kenley Jansen (you listed Romo for the Giants) and his 1.69 ERA in 5 appearances.

    If you want to continue to trash a team during ST, then so be it. Seems a bit ridiculous to me, but then again I am not all bent out of shape about the organization of other teams. There are far more important matters to get all cranky about, in my opinion. And no, I don't pay much attention to the Yankee Doom Watch. Why should I?

    nice post NOT

    you can say trash talk and bash 1000 times a post and it is your opinion, NOT FACT

    I think the Dodgers way over spend and more to the point were UNWISE investments

    and I am happy to point this out (as have MANY pundits)

    it is not trash talk

    sorry
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 03-28-2013 at 08:50 AM.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  12. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    1000s of major leaguers and you cherry pick 5 over TWO years?

    really?
    Ok then...why don't you run a correlation of spring training stats to regular season stats. I have to go now and enjoy this beautiful day, I look forward to seeing it when I come back tonight.

  13. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    and I am happy to point this out (as have MANY pundits)
    Are these the same pundits that a few minutes ago you were pointing out how wrong they were?

    I'm cherry picking?

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Second Base
    Posts
    10,227
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    you can say trash talk and bash 1000 times a post and it is your opinion, NOT FACT

    I think the Dodgers way over spend and more to the point were UNWISE investments

    and I am happy to point this out (as have MANY pundits)

    it is not trash talk

    sorry
    Yup. You sure are.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

    "We always did know how to pitch to him, but some days when you're squatting behind the plate, Mr. Mize's bat swells up." Roy Campanella on how to pitch to Johnny Mize.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Second Base
    Posts
    10,227
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Are these the same pundits that a few minutes ago you were pointing out how wrong they were?

    I'm cherry picking?
    You liked that too?!
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

    "We always did know how to pitch to him, but some days when you're squatting behind the plate, Mr. Mize's bat swells up." Roy Campanella on how to pitch to Johnny Mize.

  16. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    so a hitter who hits .526 is not important because he is facing pitchers working on pitches and not trying to get hitters out

    thanks for MAKING MY POINT

    FINALLY!
    He hit .526 that's a fact, right?

    Kershaw's ERA was 4.whatever right? A fact?


    Now I'm confused. Are Puig's and Kershaw's stats real and something we should take stock in or are they not?
    Last edited by filihok; 03-28-2013 at 08:52 AM.

  17. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    He hit .526 that's a fact, right?

    Kershaw's ERA was 4. whatever right? A fact?


    Now I'm confused. Are Puig's and Kershaw's stats real and something we should take stock in or are they not?
    you either understand the posts or you don;t

    someone posted how great Puig's spring was

    I responded by posting how bad the Dodgers pitching was this spring

    you can choose

    they are both important or both unimportant

    but not cherry pick 1 is but 1 isn't

    ah the irony

    it is rather a simple concept
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  18. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    Yup. You sure are.


    I will consider the source
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  19. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    you either understand the posts or you don;t

    someone posted how great Puig's spring was

    I responded by posting how bad the Dodgers pitching was this spring

    you can choose

    they are both important or both unimportant

    but not cherry pick 1 is but 1 isn't

    ah the irony

    it is rather a simple concept
    Where do you think I stand on this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    It's hard to ignore what he's done though.

    And that's not the over .500 batting average talking.
    Puig's BABIP is over .600. Since 1990, the highest single-season BABIP (min 200 PA's) is 1990 Frank Thomas at .421. A .600 BABIP is just not something that is possible over the long-haul.

    Puig has shown power, game changing speed and hustle and an outstanding throwing arm.
    He's got a ton of talent.

  20. #95
    Baseball's opening-day payrolls will exceed $3 billion for the first time this season, jumping more than 7 percent from last season and redistributing the windfall from landmark local television deals across the sport, according to a Yahoo! Sports analysis.

    Using Baseball Prospectus' contract database, arbitration projections from MLB Trade Rumors and expected salaries for the remaining free agents likely to garner major-league contracts, Y! Sports estimates opening-day payrolls of teams' 25-man rosters will total about $3.15 billion, a 7.1-percent increase from last year's opening-day figure of $2.94 billion.

    More than half of the increase comes from the Los Angeles Dodgers, whose projected $213 million payroll is the highest in the major leagues

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/opening...224840102.html
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  21. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    More than half of the increase comes from the Los Angeles Dodgers, whose projected $213 million payroll is the highest in the major leagues
    Jealous?

    Would you rather Magic Johnson et al be making that extra money?

    I'd rather see it go to players.

  22. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Jealous?

    Would you rather Magic Johnson et al be making that extra money?

    I'd rather see it go to players.
    time will tell if the spending was wise or foolish

    anyone can spend

    only smart ones spend it wisely

    see Boston 2012 (who suckered the Dodgers into taking 4 highly paid, underproducing players)

    weren't the Phillies going to have the greatest pitching staff ever in 2011?

    and other recent exmples
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  23. #98
    Easy, folks. We don't need to make this personal. This is why threads and posts that target teams negatively are discouraged on this site, because they only lead to overly heated arguments regardless of being fact-based or not.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Second Base
    Posts
    10,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    Easy, folks. We don't need to make this personal. This is why threads and posts that target teams negatively are discouraged on this site, because they only lead to overly heated arguments regardless of being fact-based or not.
    You're right. I apologize. I allowed myself to be dragged down into a juvenile argument and went with it. All apologies to the rest of the posters here.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

    "We always did know how to pitch to him, but some days when you're squatting behind the plate, Mr. Mize's bat swells up." Roy Campanella on how to pitch to Johnny Mize.

  25. #100
    Since the sniping isn't stopping despite the previous call for calm, this thread is closed for the weekend. If it continues when it is reopened, suspensions will be in order.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •