Thread: Musician players/coaches/managers- the complete list?

Musician players/coaches/managers- the complete list?

My personal favorite is Giants 3B coach Tim Flannery, whose music has taken on a vaguely "Americana" tone lately, though his Irish heritage is a big influence. Another journalistic reference for me- I've interviewed him twice, once for a music article and once for a baseball one. He's a fine singer and musician (and Jackson Browne's his old surfing buddy, apparently).

Who else is there?

Barry Zito - guitarist, musical family- sister Sally Zito's a good piano-based singer-songwriter
    Bronson Arroyo - grunge guitarist/singer
    Jake Peavy's a guitarist too, I believe. Don't know what his music's like. Seems like it's mostly pitchers.

There's also tons of ex-players- Scott Radinsky's a punk rocker, Bernie Williams has guitar albums out, Jack McDowell had a decent alternative band for a while. Who else? Is a complete list possible?
    Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

Didn't Pepper Martin and some of his mates have a string band.

Charlie Grimm played a mean banjo.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Wayne Edwards was in VIEW with Jack McDowell.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently for sale: Lots of Dave Winfield and Vernon Wells!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently for sale: Lots of Dave Winfield and Vernon Wells!

My website...
    My other website...

I read somewhere that Vada Pinson was a good trumpet player

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Excellent reference, thanks! I look at BR all the time and I'd never seen that list before. I'd forgotten that Musial was (is) a skilled harmonica player with an instructional book out on Mel Bay, and that country singer Charley Pride was a minor league player. Actually, I thought George Thorogood was too, but I don't see him on the list.

It took a minute to realize it was a list of any musicians referenced in addition to ballplayers that also played music; I did quite the double-take when I saw Bob Dylan's name there!
    Last edited by toomanyhatz; 11-12-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

I guess Thorogood played in a semi-pro league, which is why he's not there. Like Musial and Griffey, he's from Delaware. Griffey's apparently on the list 'cause he recorded on rap single. I can't imagine it's very good, anyone heard it?

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyhatz View Post
    I guess Thorogood played in a semi-pro league, which is why he's not there. Like Musial and Griffey, he's from Delaware. Griffey's apparently on the list 'cause he recorded on rap single. I can't imagine it's very good, anyone heard it?
    Musial and Griffey are from Donora, Pennsylvania.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Uhhh......no John Fogerty?!?!?!?!?
    Will

Jimmy Dugan: ... But sneaking out like this, quitting, you'll regret it for the rest of your life. Baseball is what gets inside you. It's what lights you up, you can't deny that.
    Dottie Hinson: It just got too hard.
    Jimmy Dugan: It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.

I never would have thought Griffey would have a parental warning on his rap song. I guess back then every artist wanted it to sell more albums though.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

bbref is great, but their list is very incomplete. Two additions who spring to mind immediately:

Denny McLain, organ - youtube has his version of "Girl from Ipanema" & a couple more

Dick Allen, vocals - youtube has his "Echoes of November" (as Rich Allen & the Ebonistics)

We've had a whole thread about this already, apparently.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...ball-musicians

No mentions of my man Flan, but it does mention what I came here to say- that I remembered Maury Wills was a banjo player.

The Hall of Fame has a player file on every MLer who ever played the game. Here's what I learned researching the career of a young town team pitcher of 1889:

"It is not generally known that Jack Shearon is an accomplished musican, but such is the case. Montreal's right fielder wrote the music for two of Press Eldridges's, "Do Not Slap Little Brother-Kick Him in the Slats," and "Sifting the Cinders With Cynthia." He is now engaged on some pathetic ballads, which are to be called "Strolling in the Mud With Blanche," "Playing Ping-Pong With Polly" and "Who Soaked Sally With a Pancake." These songs are to be published as musical supplements of the "War Cry." (from the Montreal Sun article titled "A Musical Genius Flouted")

Shearon began his career as a pitcher and later converted to the outfield. I'd love to get the sheet music for some of these classics. :-)
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

I'm surprised anyone got this far without mentioning Jim "Mudcat" Grant. Mudcat wasn't a bad singer, and I think he did an album in the 60's- "Mudcat Grant and the Kittens."

Quote Originally Posted by TonyK View Post
    The Hall of Fame has a player file on every MLer who ever played the game. Here's what I learned researching the career of a young town team pitcher of 1889:

"It is not generally known that Jack Shearon is an accomplished musican, but such is the case. Montreal's right fielder wrote the music for two of Press Eldridges's, "Do Not Slap Little Brother-Kick Him in the Slats," and "Sifting the Cinders With Cynthia." He is now engaged on some pathetic ballads, which are to be called "Strolling in the Mud With Blanche," "Playing Ping-Pong With Polly" and "Who Soaked Sally With a Pancake." These songs are to be published as musical supplements of the "War Cry." (from the Montreal Sun article titled "A Musical Genius Flouted")

Shearon began his career as a pitcher and later converted to the outfield. I'd love to get the sheet music for some of these classics. :-)
    That's brilliant, it could have come from The Onion. Hilarious.

Eddie Basinski, infielder/concert violinist.

On Rick Dempsey's official website, he is described as a musician. Wonder if he does his Babe Ruth routine at shows?
    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Dang, this is good. Bronson Arroyo could learn from the relaxed effort Flannery puts into this. The man can sing. Solid guitar player, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7RPu...&feature=share

As for the two hefty boys in the back- great musicians. Not athletes.

Ben Broussard does music apparently.

http://www.benbroussard.com/

My website...
    My other website...

Ben Broussard does music apparently.

http://www.benbroussard.com/
    Thanks for the heads up on Broussard.
    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com