Art Fabbro - Former Montreal Royal (Brooklyn Dodgers farm team)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cooperstownersincanada
    • Jun 2010

Art Fabbro - Former Montreal Royal (Brooklyn Dodgers farm team)

Hi there,

I sent this message to my SABR colleagues last month, but they couldn't provide much information.

I'm looking for information on a former Brooklyn Dodgers farmhand named Art Fabbro who played for the Montreal Royals in 1954. The reason I ask is that I'm attempting to write a blog entry about each Montreal Royals player pictured in their official 1954 team photo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Glew
    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com
  • VIBaseball
    Mets/Brooklyn Dodgers fan
    • Mar 2005

Hi Kevin...I've been meaning to look into this and at last have had a chance to do so.
    There's remarkably little about this player in the Sporting News. It doesn't appear that he ever got a feature.
    However, I turned to fultonhistory.com, an online archive of New York State newspapers, and came up with this bit of background (see picture).
    I think it'll help you, and further digging on that site may give you more.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks to me like Mr. Fabbro is no longer with us. Baseball-reference.com shows him as being born in 1927, which fits with this story, under the name Arthur G. Fabbro. An Arthur Gino Fabbro, born on November 6, 1927, died in Port Richey, Florida on April 4, 2009.
    Fabbro_AlbanyKnickerbockerNews_Jun29-1951.JPG

Comment

• VIBaseball
      • Mar 2005

From Montreal columnist Dink Carroll in the spring of 1955. Fabbro apparently quit after the Royals released him.
      Fabbro_Mtl.JPG

Comment

• VIBaseball
        • Mar 2005

Here he is in action.
        Fabbro_1953.jpg

Comment

• cooperstownersincanada
          • Jun 2010

Thank you for this information. I'm sorry I haven't responded sooner. This is great information. Sincerely, Kevin
          Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X