Stories, Photos, etc. to help us get through the winter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StanTheMan
    Back after a decade or so
    • Jan 2006

Stories, Photos, etc. to help us get through the winter...

Opening Day is a loooong way away. Post any stories, photos, etc to help us pass the time through the long winter. I'm thinking about the historic stuff, anecdotal, maybe the emotional side of the game. You know, the part of baseball that has woven itself deep into the fabric of the nation like no other sport has been able to do. The stories that make you smile... Or pieces of baseball history that make you say, "wow"...

I'll start with one from my son, now 8, and a fine ball player in his local rec league. An All-Star in both Spring and Fall ball. His Fall Ball team was mediocre, but improved greatly as the season wore on, reaching the championship game after a favorable draw. My boy batted lead off all year and was one of the defensive stars, unassisted double plays at 1B when the runner took off not expecting him to catch the line drive, the only kid who caught outfield flies, that sort of thing. He loves the game... Throwing a tennis ball off a door to himself all winter long, and religiously playing baseball on PS3.

The team he faced in the Championship game was 10-2, actually an All-Star team from a neighboring Spring League who did not have enough players for a Fall League of their own. We were beaten 14-6 and were never in the game. He got a game ball for four hits, a couple runs, several RBI and a sweet backhand shorthop scoop in the dirt while playing 1st.

At the car, the eyes started to water. I thought he might have been upset they lost, with dissapointment on missing out on the big trophy rather than the second place medals dominating his thoughts. (His team won it last year)

When I asked him if he was sad that they lost, fully expecting to tell him the All-Star team situation he said...

I'm not sad we lost. I'm sad it's over.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."
  • StanTheMan
    • Jan 2006

It's had not to be moved by this photo.

"Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

• StanTheMan
      • Jan 2006

Comment

• StanTheMan
        • Jan 2006

Amazing moment...

Comment

• Ben Grimm
          Semi-lucid User
          • Jun 2012

Proof of a very little-known investigation back in the mid-1930s - following Addendum XXI of the Constitution which repealed prohibition - spearheaded by Kenesaw Mountain Landis when suspicions arose along with the increase of offense in the great game. If there was one thing he wasn't going to stand for, it was a new scandal.

Landis, with the aid of U.S. Attorney General Homer Cummings, began an investigation following a series of games in which Babe Ruth was seen stumbling into the dugout after his at-bats and between innings. He also slurred his speech a few times during post-game interviews. Certain players - especially stars - were becoming quite large in the midrift, and even though MLB and the fans themselves turned a blind eye, the game was becoming a mockery of itself.

A third party was brought in to do interviews. His name was Heinrich Pitchell. He put together a detailed report known now as the Pitchell Report in which his findings revealed a rather large population of the players being involved in these acts.

The compiled list of offenders was much larger than anybody expected - with quite a few possibly Hall of Fame candidates included. This would have been disastrous as the Hall was just being opened and this list implicated quite a few of those were were highly considered for enshrinement.

With the knowledge of what could transpire from the fanbase, Landis decided to have the report voided in the hope that things would either just go away, or that the acceptance of alcohol now that it was legal to the public would take over and the players would be looked at as sympathetic characters.

Many point to this era as the birth of the term "beer muscles" that is still sometimes used today.

Thanks to Beyondtheboxscore.com for the image.
          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• brewcrew82
            Mod against IL play!
            • Jan 2000

Originally posted by StanTheMan View Post
            When I asked him if he was sad that they lost, fully expecting to tell him the All-Star team situation he said...

I'm not sad we lost. I'm sad it's over.
            That's awesome! :applaud:
            RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

• StanTheMan
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by brewcrew82 View Post
              That's awesome! :applaud:

I'll never forget the moment, that's for sure. When we got home he wanted to play catch.

He has played coach pitch Spring Ball and Fall Ball at ages 6, 7 and 8. Those six seasons combined with a year of tee ball make seven... He tells people "I've played seven seasons of baseball in my life so far.". Average height for an 8 year old (perhaps a little undersized) most people politely say "wow", or "that's great" to him and probably wonder what he is talking about.
              Last edited by StanTheMan; 11-14-2012, 06:42 AM.

Comment

• StanTheMan
                • Jan 2006

The Bambino's glove... How could they catch ANYTHING???

Comment

• StanTheMan
                  • Jan 2006

Beautiful...

Comment

• StanTheMan
                    • Jan 2006

Would have been something to see... Home Run at Wrigley, out of the park, across the street, and high enough to be caught by someone ON THE ROOF of a building.

Comment

• Blue387
                      Ya gotta believe
                      • Jul 2010

Look at this changeup:
                      Table of Contents Here’s the table of contents for today’s edition of Daily Notes. 1. Action Footage: R.A. Dickey Throws a Changeup 2. Today’s MLB.TV Free Game 3. Today’s Complete Schedule Action…
                      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• StanTheMan
                        • Jan 2006

Catcher with a SOFTBALL catchers mitt! Shhhhh... Don't tell any girls.

Comment

• YankeeMan
                          SABR member since 1994
                          • Feb 2003

I hate winter...
                          byb1.JPG

128 days until opening day...
                          Last edited by YankeeMan; 11-24-2012, 05:54 PM.
                          WORLD CHAMPIONS!

1923 • 1927 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1943

1947 • 1949 • 1950 • 1951 • 1952 • 1953 • 1956 • 1958 • 1961 • 1962

1977 • 1978 • 1996 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000 • 2009

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X