Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alamodome - San Antonio TX

Alamodome - San Antonio TX

The story:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...n-san-antonio/

Rangers to play spring exhibition games at Alamodome in San Antonio

Aaron Gleeman

Nov 14, 2012, 12:12 PM EST

An official announcement is expected later this week, but in the meantime Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports that the Rangers will play a couple exhibition games at the Alamodome in San Antonio during spring training.

Durrett writes that it will be “the first time a big-league baseball game will be played in an arena that wasn’t originally built with baseball in mind” and San Antonio mayor Julian Castro is hoping it helps attract other teams to the city in the future.

Beginning in 1992 the Spurs played in the 65,000-seat Alamodome until 2002 and the arena has also been home to football games and conventions.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Wonder if Richard Durrett ever heard of the LA Coliseum or Exhibition Stadium before?

And I'm also wondering how screwed up the foul lines will be, unless the Alamodome has retractable seats of which I'm not aware.
    Marlins' magical, mystical backstop fish! Now starting on the DL for the Toronto Blue Jays!

I wonder what the dimensions will be.

Looks like it will be set up like Joe Robbie. Although not designed for baseball, the seats are retractable.

Empty-Alamodome.jpg
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

This was all I could find so far.

alamodome.jpg

ALAMO.jpg
    Here's another shot of the Alamodome with both sides of stands pulled back for Cowboys training camp.

alamo2.jpg

One more from ground level.

Here's the layout for Rangers vs Padres at the Alamodome.

rangers alamo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by burroughsmvp View Post
    Here's the layout for Rangers vs Padres at the Alamodome.

rangers alamo.jpg
    Well those look to be crappy third base line seats.....the first row will be 25 feet up in the air.
    Marlins' magical, mystical backstop fish! Now starting on the DL for the Toronto Blue Jays!

At least it will be a fun experience. Anyone here plan on going? I'm not a fan of either team, but think it would be cool to see.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

odd sight lines, no daylight, carpet on the floor - sounds like another version of kingdome.
    will be some "experience", eh?
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

I wonder if anyone here will be going to this game.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

I would go just like people went to see games at BC Place and the Superdome.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    I would go just like people went to see games at BC Place and the Superdome.
    I would go for the novelty if the tix were cheap.

BC Place was at least built as a multipurpose--almost a clone of the Metrodome...and the Superdome is just an awesome stadium...but this place looks terrible--dark, dreary and awful for baseball.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Why not just clear out chairs and tables in the food court at the biggest San Antonio mall and have the game there?

The overall shame of this is that The Alamodome is outdated and there is truly no team that is willing to commit to playing there. This stadium like the LA Coliseum was built for other sports making baseball an ill money grubbing fit making the sport a novelty act. 280 down the right field line? 307 to the right field power alley, brings up shades of Ebbets Field. They might as well just have a home run derby instead.
    Fan of The NY Mets!

This just seems like a gimmick to me. Logically, there's no reason to play baseball in a stadium that wasn't built for it.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Its fun to have baseball in unique places for a meaningless game. And there is a new college football team that plays in the dome UTSA, so I think there is still life for the dome.

I wonder if the score of this game will be 11-10 in favor of the Rangers. 10 HR's

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    This just seems like a gimmick to me. Logically, there's no reason to play baseball in a stadium that wasn't built for it.
    MLB teams have been playing exhibition games in non-baseball stadiums since the 19th century. This is hardly precedent setting.

I remember an Atlanta Braves pre-season game at the Liberty Bowl in the early 70's where either the right or left-field fence was around 200 feet. The world survived

Better than the other way around, I suppose.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
    Wonder if Richard Durrett ever heard of the LA Coliseum or Exhibition Stadium before?

And I'm also wondering how screwed up the foul lines will be, unless the Alamodome has retractable seats of which I'm not aware.
    Didn't the Superdome in Louisiana have a couple of games at one point?

^ It did.

However the recent Superdome renovations have, thankfully, eliminated the possibility of doing it again.

Yeah if you go to the superdome thread there are pics of how you couldn't see all of the field from the upper decks.

Chill people. It's an exhibition game. Baseball will survive.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast