Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Alamodome - San Antonio TX

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Wow I didn't notice that at first, wonder what would have happened had someone hit it like Tropicana field.
    for games that don't count (like those) they can make it up as they go along.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

What i figured.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Alamodome Baseball configuration

Hey everybody. Not sure if this was posted back in March or not but the Astrodome hosted a weekend exhibition series between the Rangers and the Padres. Here is what I could find. Do you think that the Alamodome could host a MLB franchise?

628x471.jpgPadres+Rangers+Baseball_30391289_273460.JPGrangers-padres-alamodome-entirefield.jpgad1.jpgvlcsnap-001341c07599b-12bc-48c5-a178-1b4362d37da9.jpg
    How many times has this happened to you?

The TV shot behind home plate makes the stadium look not too bad really for baseball. Naturally, packing the seats in the upper decks of centerfield are going to be hard to come by if this was a regular ballpark.

Deleted first post
    Last edited by JT7; 06-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prince24 View Post
    Hey everybody. Not sure if this was posted back in March or not but the Astrodome hosted a weekend exhibition series between the Rangers and the Padres. Here is what I could find. Do you think that the Alamodome could host a MLB franchise?

Personally, I dont' think so. The Alamodome would require major renovations to make it a baseball friendly park. Just look at the seats along the third base line and behind home plate. As well, the Right field area would have to have retractable seats a-la Metrodome to make the Right Field fence a little more respectable. I believe...someone correct me if I'm wrong, MLB is no longer allowing stadiums to use fake grass...I thought I heard that a while back with Toronto and Tampa Bay grandfathered in. That requirement needs to be confirmed, but aside from that, just looking at the pictures, the Alamodome would need A LOT of work for it to be MLB acceptable. But that's just my opinion. Not a professional one... =)

Well, if MLB wanted the money, they'd accept this as a temporary venue while the "real" stadium gets built nearby. I can't imagine any non MLB city would have to actually build the entire stadium and install proper infrastructure around the area just to get the OK.

Think about it; place a team here, after the city/state approves funding for, and starts building the new stadium. Especially if someone greedy *cough* Pohlads *cough* just ups and moves the team.

in a word - no
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by ericlc129 View Post
    Well, if MLB wanted the money, they'd accept this as a temporary venue while the "real" stadium gets built nearby. I can't imagine any non MLB city would have to actually build the entire stadium and install proper infrastructure around the area just to get the OK.

Think about it; place a team here, after the city/state approves funding for, and starts building the new stadium. Especially if someone greedy *cough* Pohlads *cough* just ups and moves the team.
    won't happen, all franchises are stuck where they are.
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

The Rockies did it last maybe the marlins if too since they last longer and it wasn't horrible for the Rockies, but the Marlins hated every moment of it (except the world series sell outs).
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

More exhibition games at the Alamodome next year, probably involving the Astros this time.
    http://ballparkdigest.com/2013110567...ome-next-march

This was fun!

I wonder if the revenue from the exhibition series covered the expense of converting the Alamodome to baseball. Looks to me like it would have been quite costly to do everything necessary to make the stadium suitable for baseball.

I thought all they did was lay dirt, retract seats and move any overhead videobaords?

Love to see a game with this place packed. Probably loud as heck.

The first rows of Astroturf arrived on Monday!

Pitch Clock Now! Pitch Clock Now! Pitch Clock Now!

Going to make my way down to the Alamodome next weekend to catch one of these games. Who else is going?
    http://s24.postimg.org/lmevom1ol/Astros_Sig.png

National League Champions: 2005
    National League Division Champions: 1980, 1986, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001
    National League Wild Card: 2004, 2005

Do you think that the Alamodome could host a MLB franchise?
    No.

Any team that moved in here would have to move right back out again, for exactly the same reasons as the Twins left the Metrodome.
    "If he's a good fastball hitter...should I throw him a bad fastball?"
    - Deep Thoughts by Larry Andersen

.. because their new stadium is ready?

If San Antonio couldn't get football during the let's move almost every other NFL team why would they even get baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post

Any team that moved in here would have to move right back out again, for exactly the same reasons as the Twins left the Metrodome.
    Why did the Twins leave the Metrodome?

^ Because it was indoors, multipurpose, had a crappy baseball layout, and was obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    ^ Because it was indoors, multipurpose, had a crappy baseball layout, and was obsolete.
    If that's true, why did they play there in the first place.

^ They thought they had to have a permanent fixed roof due to the weather. Plus 1982 was on the tail end of the "everybody's building cookie cutters" trend.

The Twins played 21 seasons outdoors.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast