Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Alamodome - San Antonio TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    Attendance picked up a bit Saturday, 27,255 turned out for Astros/Rangers Round 2, bringing the 2 game total to 49,932, far below the Stade Olympique totals.
    That's kind of loaded, this town never had a pro team, they had 2 games here last year, the astros aren't that good, and the Rangers are sliding back. Montreal hasn't had baseball in 10 years after having it for almost 30 years.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    That's kind of loaded, this town never had a pro team, they had 2 games here last year, the astros aren't that good, and the Rangers are sliding back. Montreal hasn't had baseball in 10 years after having it for almost 30 years.
    I've read several members of the local media state that the attendance was disappointing. The Mets and Blue Jays are both terrible teams and the Expos existed for 36 seasons. The Rangers sliding back? I don't know about that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    I've read several members of the local media state that the attendance was disappointing. The Mets and Blue Jays are both terrible teams and the Expos existed for 36 seasons. The Rangers sliding back? I don't know about that.
    I guess my point was more that at least Montreal has a baseball past and misses baseball, whereas San Antonio has no baseball past so has no real reason to recapture lost emotions.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

The Alamodome, part baseball, part basketball. This is how we were raised.

B_sHKmuUsAE9ZZr.jpg
    https://twitter.com/SABigLeagueWknd/...61264138792960

Rangers, Dodgers to square off at Alamodome:
    http://m.rangers.mlb.com/news/articl...f-at-alamodome
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

From what I can guess from the pictures, in order to make the field they do a few things:
    1. They layout where the bases and all go.
    2. They drop cutout forms on the concrete floor.
    622x350.jpg
    622x350.jpg
    3. They build up the infield base with dirt so that it's the same height as the cutout rings.
    alamo-install-3-300x224.png
    4. Dirt is tapered from infield down to the concrete floor in the outfield.
    5. Base pit and mound clay is partially installed.
    6. Turf is then laid over field surface, wrapped around wood cutout forms and trimmed.
    pg1baseball-alamodomesaroplj032913*304.jpg
    7. Final grading of sliding pits and mound construction.
    8. Line field, install bases, etc.

Normal multipurpose turf fields had actual pits in the concrete floor. Since they don't here, they have to build up the floor temporarily so that a sliding pit could be built. Guess without a full time baseball need, the additional issues with trying to maintain sliding pits and all in the floor for football is worth it. So they do this each spring instead.

I would also guess that the base anchors must slightly go into the concrete floor too. Typically the MLB base anchors are a few inches deep.

bs112p.jpg
    Last edited by Matt The Hammer; 03-16-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Good shot of the playing surface. You can see how the plate was sprayed with white line paint right before the start of the game. Little over spray that the ump will brush up.

bl1.jpg

That type of preparation will always be intriguing.

Dodgers vs Rangers tonight. Clearly, the novelty of baseball at the Alamodome has worn off.

CAlM4a9U8AAX_5E.jpg

Attendance was 20,591.

Attendance Saturday was 25,434. The 2013 Big League Weekend drew over 75,000.

I think if the Rangers were coming off a deep playoff run last year, the attendance could have been higher.

Rather they are a last place team...

ad2.jpg
    mlbf_50502883_th_13.jpg

They went both teams wearing blue jerseys. Which, is kinda bush league.

Blog Entries
    Wonder how many more events need to be held at this place until San Antonio finally feels like this wasn't a waste of money?

What's left? WWE, boxing, ufc, football, arena football, baseball, concerts, rodeos, truck shows, basketball, hockey, Disney on ice...

Have they had an actual recreation of the battle at the Alamo in 1836?

That might be the last thing.

EDIT - Forgot swimming:
    Swimming1.jpg
    Last edited by Matt The Hammer; 03-23-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking more like how many days of the week is this filled. I know now they have a college football team now and I don't know if they still have arena football. Just was hoping for a better tenant that can use it to its fullest, not quarter filled for low level sports.

P.S. I love how they think swimming will sell out in that picture lol

It's hosting the 2018 Final Four.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567