Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Alamodome - San Antonio TX

Blog Entries
    I would say the spurs left for the same reason the Pistons left the silverdome, no nba team wants to play in a place with a ceiling that high and temporary bleachers half way around the court. Their fans deserve to have a proper stadium set up.

The Alamo bowl does well also because they take a pac 12 team and a big 12 team so they are close enough, but also because San Antonio is fun, its not like a bowl in Birmingham or El passo.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

No pro sports team changes facilities for fan comfort. Just sayin'

Blog Entries
    No baseball in the Alamodome this spring. That experiment is probably over.

Blog Entries
    But shouldn't that lure an mlb team to San Antonio lol
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Blog Entries
    No, the building wasn't built for baseball.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    No, the building wasn't built for baseball.
    That was the joke

Blog Entries
    I stand corrected, Big League Weekend returns to the Alamodome for the 4th straight spring. The Royals and Rangers will play in the Alamodome March 18 & 19.

Blog Entries
    Wow, Big League Weekend signs with the Alamodome for another 2 years.

Cae9jIWUUAE4Aj9.jpg

And why not? It's a great exhibition and a huge attraction for us here in SA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by machinehead11 View Post
    And why not? It's a great exhibition and a huge attraction for us here in SA.
    How is it "great"? and define "huge". Attendance has declined each year.

How is it "great"? and define "huge". Attendance has declined each year.
    It's played on plastic "grass." That alone makes it great, obvs.

QED

Grow the game!

Blog Entries
    I don't know, the AstroTurf® there is temporary, therefore it is not in the same league as the fields I have highlighted in the Perfect Fields thread. Plus, they inexplicably have dirt/clay cutouts, mound and home plate area. Grow the game, the right way.

Blog Entries
    The novelty of baseball in the Alamodome has clearly worn off, plus the AstroTurf surface looks awful.

I only speak the truth. Some people want to make controversies when there are none.

This exhibition game used to be held in Round Rock, TX at the Round Rock Express stadium. That is such superior venue for an MLB exhibition game. Although, it was a match between the Rangers and the Expres their AAA affiliate instead of two MLB teams.

I think attendance could be high as both the Astros and Rangers were good teams last year and has some great battles though the end of the year.

Although the novelty isn't what it was since both teams are now in the same division and play each other a lot. Add in the spring training factor (pre season players, etc.) and it's not a big deal to miss these games.

Blog Entries
    Again, if Alamodome's surface looked like the perfect fields in the Perfect Fields thread, I wouldn't mind the Astros playing a series there once a season or so. But this is about honesty, and the place just looks subpar. Grow the game. Make an effort to do things right. With or without a synthetic mound. Aspire to be great San Antonio.

CDh17MTUkAAFHqy.jpg

bucknell baseball field.jpeg

Blog Entries

Wonder what the story is on the Astros not being a part of this this year? Seems like a marketing mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Ballpark View Post
    Wonder what the story is on the Astros not being a part of this this year? Seems like a marketing mistake.
    The Astros prolly hate playing on plastic "grass." I mean, the fans hate it, the owners hate it, the umpires hate it, the grounds crews hate it, so it's very likely the players hate it too. That would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay View Post
    The Astros prolly hate playing on plastic "grass." I mean, the fans hate it, the owners hate it, the umpires hate it, the grounds crews hate it, so it's very likely the players hate it too. That would be my guess.

They probably don't want to get cancer. It's just a shame that other teams don't follow suit and abandon turf fields altogether

Quote Originally Posted by machinehead11 View Post
    They probably don't want to get cancer. It's just a shame that other teams don't follow suit and abandon turf fields altogether
    Yes. Synthetic fields pose a dreadful health hazard. And they are soooooo ugly.

Maybe they were told they had to wear throw back uniforms with
    pullover jerseys and sansabelt pants and refused to be embarrassed.
    Last edited by chip; 03-08-2016 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    Maybe they were told they had to wear throw back uniforms with
    pullover jerseys and sansabelt pants and refused to be embarrassed.
    Do they have the bullpens in foul territory too? If so, that's a stupid thing to do. No wonder they are having trouble getting teams to play there. Come on, San Antonio! You can be so much better than you are!!

Blog Entries
    The first rolls of AstroTurf® have arrived at the Alamodome.

Cc9UIjxUsAAkocr.jpg

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast