Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chuck The Mets Fan!
    • Oct 2008

The overall shame of this is that The Alamodome is outdated and there is truly no team that is willing to commit to playing there. This stadium like the LA Coliseum was built for other sports making baseball an ill money grubbing fit making the sport a novelty act. 280 down the right field line? 307 to the right field power alley, brings up shades of Ebbets Field. They might as well just have a home run derby instead.
    Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

• Mr. Laser Beam
      • Sep 2010

This just seems like a gimmick to me. Logically, there's no reason to play baseball in a stadium that wasn't built for it.
      It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• Chevy114
        • Feb 2008

Its fun to have baseball in unique places for a meaningless game. And there is a new college football team that plays in the dome UTSA, so I think there is still life for the dome.
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• bhratbrat
          • May 2011

I wonder if the score of this game will be 11-10 in favor of the Rangers. 10 HR's

Comment

• The Old Ballpark
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
            This just seems like a gimmick to me. Logically, there's no reason to play baseball in a stadium that wasn't built for it.
            MLB teams have been playing exhibition games in non-baseball stadiums since the 19th century. This is hardly precedent setting.

I remember an Atlanta Braves pre-season game at the Liberty Bowl in the early 70's where either the right or left-field fence was around 200 feet. The world survived

Comment

• Mr. Laser Beam
              • Sep 2010

Better than the other way around, I suppose.
              It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• aqib
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                Wonder if Richard Durrett ever heard of the LA Coliseum or Exhibition Stadium before?

And I'm also wondering how screwed up the foul lines will be, unless the Alamodome has retractable seats of which I'm not aware.
                Didn't the Superdome in Louisiana have a couple of games at one point?

Comment

• Mr. Laser Beam
                  • Sep 2010

^ It did.

However the recent Superdome renovations have, thankfully, eliminated the possibility of doing it again.

Comment

• Chevy114
                    • Feb 2008

Yeah if you go to the superdome thread there are pics of how you couldn't see all of the field from the upper decks.
                    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• PeteU
                      Birds and Fish
                      • Dec 2006

Chill people. It's an exhibition game. Baseball will survive.

Comment

• vitameatavegamin
                        • Sep 2012

This could get really crazy....the dimensions are pretty close (especially RF line to CF) to the late Baker Bowl in Philly. I wouldn't want to be a righthanded pitcher here......

Comment

• Phantom Dreamer
                          Bring Back The Trident
                          • Nov 2012

305' to the right-center power alley. If this was a full-time MLB venue, a guy could realistically aim for a 100 homer season. The upcoming exhibitions should be the only 2 games it hosts.
                          The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

• Unit312J
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                            I wonder if anyone here will be going to this game.
                            I'm a stadium collector...baseball mainly. I've seen a Spurs game here and a Saints game....but I'll be coming out from Southern California to see the baseball games. I didn't miss the one a couple of years ago at the LA Coliseum, and I'm not going to miss this one. I hope there are a ton of homers over the 280 mark in right field!

Comment

• Unit312J
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
                              305' to the right-center power alley. If this was a full-time MLB venue, a guy could realistically aim for a 100 homer season. The upcoming exhibitions should be the only 2 games it hosts.
                              They will be! It's exhibition baseball. Who cares of the dimensions and the score. It is bringing the pros to San Antonio. Barnstorming so to speak, like they did in the old days so people without professional teams could see the stars. I'm not one of those. I am surrounded by professional baseball teams, but I'm still making a trip out there to enjoy the experience.

Comment

• Phantom Dreamer
                                Bring Back The Trident
                                • Nov 2012

Haven't seen anything related to the upcoming exhibition series between the Rangers and Padres for a while. I am wondering if they're going to schedule a college or high school game here before the major league games if only to work out some of the kinks that will probably arise.
                                Last edited by Phantom Dreamer; 03-08-2013, 02:40 PM.
                                The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X