• Jack Glasscock

0 0%
  • Edgar Martinez

0 0%
  • Other

3 12.50%

Thread: Top Ten Players Not In Hall

Top Ten Players Not In Hall

I was hoping to start a poll and get everyone's opinion. I wanted to create a new poll every 3 to 4 days and see who everyone believes are the top ten players not currently in the Hall in order. I am going to create a poll of 15-20 players, feel free to add anyone you feel I have missed. I am hoping in everyone's response they could post:

1. Who they voted for
    2. A new candidate they believe should be added to the poll
    3. A player that should be removed from the poll

I would like to not include steroid players along with Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose. When I say steroid players I mean players such as McGwire and Palmeiro who have been caught, not players like Bagwell who people may have suspicions about. If there is another thread or project like this please let me know. If not I look forward to reading your responses and seeing the results. Thanks. This will be the first poll and will be closed on Saturday.
    Last edited by Ducati12; 11-20-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Tim Raines is the only sure fire Hall of Famer in this group. Based both on benchmarks as advanced stats.
    "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
    George Brett

Blog Entries
    1. Who they voted for - Raines
    2. should be added - Deacon White
    3. should be removed - Hodges
    Eradicate, wipe out and abolish redundancy.

Free El Duque!(and Mark Mulder) -- discover how the HOF rules are cheating this renowned member of Torre's Yankees dynasty and ask the HOF to include him on the ballot for the next BBWAA election.

Blog Entries
    1. Trammell
    2. Bagwell
    3. Morris

Tim Raines is a slam dunk HOFer. The fact that he has not been elected is a travesty. Bobby Grich and Bill Dahlen are also way up there.

I agree with Freakshow that Deacon White should be one of the options up there. Jack Morris and Dick Allen are the only two I do not think deserve to be in the HoF.

How many players are you allowed to vote for?

Craig Biggio should be on that ballot!

Quote Originally Posted by jjpm74 View Post
    Tim Raines is a slam dunk HOFer. The fact that he has not been elected is a travesty. Bobby Grich and Bill Dahlen are also way up there.

I agree with Freakshow that Deacon White should be one of the options up there. Jack Morris and Dick Allen are the only two I do not think deserve to be in the HoF.
    I dont know if I agree with that statement. Bagwell and Dahlen are pretty close to slam dunk HOFers.

I also agree with Freakshow. I wouldn't have a problem with most of these guys being inducted though and think several besides Raines prety obviously belong.

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    How many players are you allowed to vote for?

Craig Biggio should be on that ballot!
    Biggio probably wasn't included because he up for this years election.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Ducati12 View Post
    I dont know if I agree with that statement. Bagwell and Dahlen are pretty close to slam dunk HOFers.
    You didn't list Bagwell as an option and I agreed that Dahlen is pretty close to a slam dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by jjpm74 View Post
    You didn't list Bagwell as an option and I agreed that Dahlen is pretty close to a slam dunk.
    Wow a complete oversight on my part. Bagwell was meant to be on this list and I apologize for leaving him off. Please use the other option for Bagwell if you feel he is the best. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ducati12 View Post
    Wow a complete oversight on my part. Bagwell was meant to be on this list and I apologize for leaving him off. Please use the other option for Bagwell if you feel he is the best. Thanks
    I would have went with Bagwell then. I suppose many who already voted would have too.

1. Dahlen.
    2. Bagwell
    3. Clark
    Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior JEDI

I know this a lot to ask but please write if they would have voted Bagwell and who you originally voted for.

In my Hall for sure:

Bagwell - pick for #1
    Caruthers
    Dahlen
    Simmons
    Torre
    Allen
    Hernandez
    Whtiaker
    Grich
    Trammel
    Minnoso
    Raines
    Magee
    Ferell
    Martinez

Could go either way:

Boyer
    Clark
    Glasscock

No:

Morris
    Hodges

Add (we need more pitchers on the list):

Cone
    Saberhagen
    Stieb
    Tiant

Delete:

None- they are all worthe the debate
    Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 11-21-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Who I voted for - Bagwell
    Who I would've voted for were Bagwell not mentioned - Raines
    Who I'd like to see added - Tommy Bond (yes, he's become something of a mission)
    Who I'd like to see removed - Jack Morris (unlike folks like Grich who are underrated, he's overrated due to a couple of post-season appearances. Compares ridiculously unfavorably to Blyleven, who was a better postseason pitcher, and had to fight to get in)
    Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

Imagine a modern NL pitcher winning 20 games six times, leading the league in IP three times (six top fours), finishing in the top seven in ERA seven times, garnered MVP votes four times, finished in the top ten in strikeouts seven times, and leading the league in complete games four times.

Now imagine the pitcher was such a good hitter, that he basically allowed your team to be the only NL team that had a DH every 5th game during most of those seasons.

That would be a modern NL version of Wes Ferrell.

For those of you that like WAR:
    Ferrell accumulated 58 WAR over those nine seasons. That is 6.4 per season. This is a massive peak. Even though the rest of his career was pretty much worthless, I think that 9 years of total-baseball dominance earns him a pretty easy place in the HOF.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Blog Entries
    I think I still would pick Trammell over Bagwell if Bagwell were available.

Bagwell, followed by Raines.

I'll stick with Raines. Bagwell will get in before Raines, though and deserves to be elected.

Voted for Allen but nothing wrong with Raines.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew C. View Post
    Imagine a modern NL pitcher winning 20 games six times, leading the league in IP three times (six top fours), finishing in the top seven in ERA seven times, garnered MVP votes four times, finished in the top ten in strikeouts seven times, and leading the league in complete games four times.

Now imagine the pitcher was such a good hitter, that he basically allowed your team to be the only NL team that had a DH every 5th game during most of those seasons.

That would be a modern NL version of Wes Ferrell.

For those of you that like WAR:
    Ferrell accumulated 58 WAR over those nine seasons. That is 6.4 per season. This is a massive peak. Even though the rest of his career was pretty much worthless, I think that 9 years of total-baseball dominance earns him a pretty easy place in the HOF.

Had he cracked 200 Wins, he probably would have made it. I would have voted for him at any rate.
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” – Walter Lippmann

"A pitcher has to look at the hitter as his mortal enemy." -
    Early Wynn

"My own little rule was two for one. If one of my teammates got knocked down, then I knocked down two on the other team." - Don Drysdale