Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The different types of MLB swings

The different types of MLB swings

How many different types of swings are there among MLB players? I'm not talking high leg kick vs. small leg kick I'm looking for differences bigger than that.

Please post a clip of different swing types. I know I can find plenty of swings in the CLIPS, PICS, SITES and Practice Discussion thread. I'd like to see the clips along side a discussion of the different styles of MLB players.

If you look at the various phases - Stance, Stride to Toe Touch, Toe Touch to Contact, and After Contact - you will not see much variation in the Toe Touch to Contact Phase of MLB swings.
    eFastball.com hitting and pitching fact checker

Quote Originally Posted by songtitle View Post
    If you look at the various phases - Stance, Stride to Toe Touch, Toe Touch to Contact, and After Contact - you will not see much variation in the Toe Touch to Contact Phase of MLB swings.
    This. There used to be a commercial run on MLB Network where they have a montage of different players swinging, using one frame from each player's swing, stacked together like an old picture flip book. They wouldn't have been able to do that unless the swings were pretty much the same (in general for a "normal" swing where they're not fooled, reaching, etc.).

Is there a clip out there that epitomizes a good MLB swing? How is this Cabrera clip?

Cabrera_full_sm.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Xraf View Post
    How many different types of swings are there among MLB players? I'm not talking high leg kick vs. small leg kick I'm looking for differences bigger than that.

Please post a clip of different swing types. I know I can find plenty of swings in the CLIPS, PICS, SITES and Practice Discussion thread. I'd like to see the clips along side a discussion of the different styles of MLB players.
    All elite MLB players (think Bonds, A-Rod, etc.) have one universal pattern/sequence. There are many styles, but only one pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by pstein View Post
    All elite MLB players (think Bonds, A-Rod, etc.) have one universal pattern/sequence. There are many styles, but only one pattern.
    But here is the rub, players like Trout, Harper, ... have had success and yet, are attacked by some experts because they don't match a pattern some "experts" have determined as elite. I once asked what percentage of MLB Players matched or didn't match. I don't think I have ever heard an answer. Yet, we have people running around at levels of 10-12U to college who say that their kids match the elite pattern. I haven't understood that. I always liked this guy's swing:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cannonball; 11-21-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    But here is the rub, players like Trout, Harper, ... have had success and yet, are attacked by some experts because they don't match a pattern some "experts" have determined as elite.
    I'd like to see a nice clip of Trout's swing to see what the experts are referring to.

In the following video Matt Antonelli says Robinson Cano's swing is "one of the prettiest in the game." He has a short review of Cano's swing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls2ITHRIz3s&feature=plcp

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    But here is the rub, players like Trout, Harper, ... have had success and yet, are attacked by some experts because they don't match a pattern some "experts" have determined as elite. I once asked what percentage of MLB Players matched or didn't match. I don't think I have ever heard an answer. Yet, we have people running around at levels of 10-12U to college who say that their kids match the elite pattern. I haven't understood that. I always liked this guy's swing:
    Yes, Pujols. He definitely swings "down through the ball" rather than the typical slight uppercut (think Dunn, Hamilton) swing you see posted on here a lot. A swing like Pujols, Sheffield, Schmidt, Berkman, Beltran, imo, keeps the bat in the zone longer, creates a larger margin for error, and produces optimal backspin for carry. Opinions vary on that, and that's ok. But when I have a kid, that is what I'll teach. Not to "chop" but to swing "down through the ball" with the emphasis on THROUGH.

Schmidt was a slightly more extreme example. Notice how down and through ball he is, with a low follow through. Here is his 500th HR. http://youtu.be/iXAQj6s6HGA

schmidt.jpeg
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 11-26-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    "Everyone left here, but I remain at my post, documenting my sports writers and photos. I don't do Ty Cobb anymore. I did for him everything I could do. Work will live on. Personalities will fade.

Fever members come and go. Not relevant. Your documentations will live FOREVER, my brother. That outweighs all the Fever jack-asses. Ignore what you must, document all you can."
    - Bill Burgess

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
    Yes, Pujols. He definitely swings "down through the ball" rather than the typical slight uppercut (think Dunn, Hamilton) swing you see posted on here a lot. A swing like Pujols, Sheffield, Schmidt, Berkman, Beltran, imo, keeps the bat in the zone longer, creates a larger margin for error, and produces optimal backspin for carry. Opinions vary on that, and that's ok. But when I have a kid, that is what I'll teach. Not to "chop" but to swing "down through the ball" with the emphasis on THROUGH.

Schmidt was a slightly more extreme example. Notice how down and through ball he is, with a low follow through. Here is his 500th HR. http://youtu.be/iXAQj6s6HGA

schmidt.jpeg
    Pujols swing is more level than the typical swing but I would not say he swings down.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Does anyone have a clip of Pujols or Trout you could post that is as good quality as the Cabrera clip I posted above? I'd love to see them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Pujols swing is more level than the typical swing but I would not say he swings down.
    As I stated, staying down through the ball, emphasizing THROUGH.
    "Everyone left here, but I remain at my post, documenting my sports writers and photos. I don't do Ty Cobb anymore. I did for him everything I could do. Work will live on. Personalities will fade.

Fever members come and go. Not relevant. Your documentations will live FOREVER, my brother. That outweighs all the Fever jack-asses. Ignore what you must, document all you can."
    - Bill Burgess

A swing like Pujols, Sheffield, Schmidt, Berkman, Beltran, imo, keeps the bat in the zone longer, creates a larger margin for error, and produces optimal backspin for carry. Opinions vary on that, and that's ok. But when I have a kid, that is what I'll teach. Not to "chop" but to swing "down through the ball" with the emphasis on THROUGH.

Does Schmidt's barrel ever drop below his hands and the ball?

Or does he keep the barrel above the ball up to the point of contact?
    Last edited by Chris O'Leary; 11-27-2012 at 07:15 AM.

Schmidt was a slightly more extreme example. Notice how down and through ball he is, with a low follow through. Here is his 500th HR.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting it Chris. Still not sure how to save from youtube.

Along with staying down through the ball, he's also a "wristy" hitter, much like Hank Aaron was. You don't perhaps have any video of him?

shmiddy.gif

- Bill Burgess

I have this Hank:

HANK2nd.gif

Or this.

bondshank.gif

Blog Entries
    Very cool shots of Hank. Can do without the Barry vid. He would have been in severe decline naturally at that point. But let's not get into that.

Love that Hank up the middle shot. Seems like he was a front foot hitter and stayed through the ball well, and did use his wrists quite a bit (do you have HR number 715 video?)

Another front foot hitter was Frank Thomas, except Frank had Walt Hriniak's inside-out swing philosophy down pretty good. Incredible hitter with a great eye, but robbed himself of some power imo because he was so inside-out dedicated.

- Bill Burgess

Quote Originally Posted by Xraf View Post
    Is there a clip out there that epitomizes a good MLB swing? How is this Cabrera clip?

Cabrera_full_sm.gif
    Top hand release. Heresy!

Along with staying down through the ball, he's also a "wristy" hitter, much like Hank Aaron was. You don't perhaps have any video of him?
    That is an example of a pro athlete able to use a terrible batting style and produce good results.

I would teach this to kids on how not to swing.

Quote Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
    Top hand release.
    If you push your back elbow to CF, you must release. Otherwise, not so much.
    eFastball.com hitting and pitching fact checker

]
    I don't know what you mean when you say that Schmidt swings "down through the ball." What Schmidt does is the same as what every good hitter does; he hits the ball with a slight uppercut.

What is different about his swing is how his wrists roll earlier than most contemporary hitters (but still after contact).
    Last edited by Chris O'Leary; 11-28-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    I agree there is a slight uppercut but at the pont of contact, but he is more level than what we see from a lot of hitters and stays through the ball. Same goes for Pujols, Sheffield, Beltran and a number of others.

There is a distinct difference in their bat angle at contact and just after, compared to say, David Wright, who rarely gets optimal backspin. Wright often gets extreme topspin when he pulls the ball.

That is what I see. If you don't see it, then no worries.

- Bill Burgess

Buh Bye BBF!
    Last edited by NoonTime; 11-07-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Buh Bye BBF!
    Last edited by NoonTime; 11-07-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    VERY COOL VIDS NOON!!

- Bill Burgess

I agree there is a slight uppercut but at the pont of contact, but he is more level than what we see from a lot of hitters and stays through the ball.
    That is because of what his wrists are doing, not because of his swing plane.

I'm not sure I'd teach that degree of early wrist roll to just anyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast