Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The different types of MLB swings

Blog Entries
    I see a different swing plane with him and many others. The difference might not be extreme.

I wouldn't teach anyone to be that "wristy" either. But staying down through the ball is a key mental cue I'd for sure drill home.

Perhaps what I'm referring to is just less tilt, which creates a more level plane.

AlbertPujols_2006_HomeRun_036.jpg
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 11-28-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    "Everyone left here, but I remain at my post, documenting my sports writers and photos. I don't do Ty Cobb anymore. I did for him everything I could do. Work will live on. Personalities will fade.

Fever members come and go. Not relevant. Your documentations will live FOREVER, my brother. That outweighs all the Fever jack-asses. Ignore what you must, document all you can."
    - Bill Burgess

Hi Sultan
    Curious to know why would you drill home down through the ball if the video shows a slight uppercut?

Alan

Blog Entries
    I think the optimal swing, and the position that puts your body in, naturally produces a slight uppercut; especially on lower pitches. That's fine. When I see extreme tilt however, like with Dunn, or Edmonds, the angle of the bat greatly decreases the margin for error imo. And hitting is hard enough without lessening your chances.

I would drill home "down through the ball" as an important mental cue, of course making sure the kid understands it doesn't mean chop down. Chopping down and slicing the ball with backspin is completely different then staying through the ball and creating forceful backspin.

Maybe you or others on here, who have coached kids of all ages could tell me. How do you think the younger ones would respond? Would they understand the difference?
    "Everyone left here, but I remain at my post, documenting my sports writers and photos. I don't do Ty Cobb anymore. I did for him everything I could do. Work will live on. Personalities will fade.

Fever members come and go. Not relevant. Your documentations will live FOREVER, my brother. That outweighs all the Fever jack-asses. Ignore what you must, document all you can."
    - Bill Burgess

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12