Thread: It'll be hard to duplicate this...

It'll be hard to duplicate this...

He led the league in starts for the season... he posted an ERA of over 7 for the season...p.s..you were probably alive when he did this...

Did this pitcher play for the Rockies, by any chance?

sounds like Jose Lima or Livan Hernandez, but I don't remember either of their ERAs being that high

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    sounds like Jose Lima
    Jose Lima actually came pretty close to doing this too.

I was actually quite surprised as well. Here's a clue if you're good at math. Take his total innings and subract the earned runs he gave up.. the answer would be 23. 300 innings? 200 ? 100? innings. there's your clue...

Blog Entries
    I have a feeling this was in a strike year. '81 or '94.

Then go for it Giamibi...

Quote Originally Posted by janduscframe View Post
    I was actually quite surprised as well. Here's a clue if you're good at math. Take his total innings and subract the earned runs he gave up.. the answer would be 23. 300 innings? 200 ? 100? innings. there's your clue...
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I have a feeling this was in a strike year. '81 or '94.
    I'll bite on the math. For an ERA of 7, to have a difference of 23, you'd have to pitch about 103 innings. For an ERA of 7.5, you'd have to pitch 138 innings. so I'm guessing the guy pitched not more than 125 innings. GiambiJuice hsa to be right - it has to be '81 or '94 for that low a total and still lead the league in starts. That said, I have no clude who it could be

I looked it up, so I won't say...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janduscframe View Post
    Then go for it Giamibi...
    I really have no idea.

I had to look it up as well. Glad I did because I'd have zero chance of naming him unless it was thru multiple choice.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    I had to look it up as well. Glad I did because I'd have zero chance of naming him unless it was thru multiple choice.
    Agreed. Or some pretty heavy handed clues...

Quote Originally Posted by dgarza View Post
    Agreed. Or some pretty heavy handed clues...
    I actually remember when the Phillies signed him to play AAA for them the next year. I'm thinking I must have looked up his previous season in my encyclopedia (pre-BBRef days of course) and wonder what exactly he could offer at his age.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Brooklyn, you're quite the mathmetician

Another clue: He received a Hall Of Fame vote.
    "Heck, all I got was a $100 check. I should have kept it and framed it, but I had to eat".

Infielder Bob Hegman, when asked if he received a World Series ring for playing one inning of one game with the World
    Champion 1985 Kansas City Royals.

Quote Originally Posted by Spindlebrook View Post
    Another clue: He received a Hall Of Fame vote.
    But never an All Star.

OK, Here we go.. Jim DeShaes of the 94 Twins. He was tied with maybe half a dozen others for most starts..Still pretty hard to fathom someone doing it again, but?

I remember Jim Deshaies doing this. Earlier in his career he started a game with 7 or 8 straight strikeouts.

Jim Abbott had a horrible record and an ungodly-high ERA one year. Oh, oops. It's already been answered.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Jersey cards of Edinson Volquez, Craig Kimbrel and David Ortiz! Bat card of Troy Tulowitzki! Autographs of Drake Britton, Kyle Lotzkar, Casey Weathers, Michael Burgess, Bryan Anderson, Trevor Bauer, Adam Lind, John Ely and Lorenzo de la Cruz! Plus a guide on how to get autographs...for free!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...