Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Braves Trade Hanson to Angels for Walden

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,606

    Braves Trade Hanson to Angels for Walden

    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,439
    It's a bit of a salary dump. Hanson's shoulder injuries have derailed his career a slight bit, and Walden is a cheap, high-strikeout reliever and Wren likes those guys very much.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    It's a bit of a salary dump. Hanson's shoulder injuries have derailed his career a slight bit, and Walden is a cheap, high-strikeout reliever and Wren likes those guys very much.
    Agreed. Tommy doesn't seem like he has much of a ceiling anymore with all of his shoulder injuries... And with our surplus of starting pitching, we didn't even need him.

    I think Walden completes our bullpen and makes us the best bullpen in the major leagues. Think about it: Kimbrel, EOF, Venters, Moylan,
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    Agreed. Tommy doesn't seem like he has much of a ceiling anymore with all of his shoulder injuries... And with our surplus of starting pitching, we didn't even need him.

    I think Walden completes our bullpen and makes us the best bullpen in the major leagues. Think about it: Kimbrel, EOF, Venters, Moylan,
    If Moylan comes back and is any good. I would think they'll give him a minor league deal.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Braves Country
    Posts
    767
    I think Walden fits a role on the team better than Hanson would. After the Jurrjens situation, the Braves didn't want to make the same mistake twice. Hanson seems to be in serious trouble and while Walden had some injuries his future is much brighter.

    Also, about 4 million in salary was shedded and it appears the Braves want to go after a premier left fielder.
    Chop! Chop! Chop!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    I think Walden fits a role on the team better than Hanson would. After the Jurrjens situation, the Braves didn't want to make the same mistake twice. Hanson seems to be in serious trouble and while Walden had some injuries his future is much brighter.

    Also, about 4 million in salary was shedded and it appears the Braves want to go after a premier left fielder.
    Pretty fair assessment... Hanson had regressed a bit even before he hit the shelf. Good move for the Braves. They'll look solid with Medlen anchoring the rotation in '13. Also like the Upton move.
    We own the West!

    Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    3,766
    Potential win/win situation. The Braves have the depth to deal Hanson and add another power arm for the pen, while the Angels get a potentially very good number 3, although I don't think much of their bullpen right now.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

    Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •