Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: General 2012/2013 Offseason Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap78 View Post
    The Spurs, of the basketball world, are masters of this...although they have gotten into some trouble for this this year
    The Spurs have actually been a much better regular season team than postseason team over the last several years. They had the best record in the western conference in each of the past two season and didn't make it to the finals in either season. They have the best record once again this season and no one seems to be expecting them to represent the western conference in the finals this year.
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 03-25-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    The Spurs have actually been a much better regular season team than postseason team over the last several years.
    Put 'em in the AL West - it'll give the Astros somebody they can beat.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Lohse's deal is a multi-year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    Lohse's deal is a multi-year deal.
    It'd better be if they're forfeiting the 17th pick for him. I'm thinking 2 years plus an option year 3 at about $13M per.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    It'd better be if they're forfeiting the 17th pick for him. I'm thinking 2 years plus an option year 3 at about $13M per.
    https://twitter.com/BNightengale/sta...29097607004161
    The Brewers, according to official, will guarantee Lohse $33 million for three years

Thanks for that. So, the Brewers get the extra year at a lower AAV, and Lohse gets more guaranteed money. Guess it works for both sides on paper.

I bet Brewers fans are hoping this wont fall apart like the Jeff Suppan and Braden Looper signings they had at the end of the last decade. Those two were decent to serviceable starters in St. Louis to being barely serviceable in Milwaukee. I like Lohse, but there have been a few guys that left the Cardinals (where they seemed to redeem themselves as pitchers) and went the other way on their new teams. I am thinking of guys like Piniero, Weaver, and these two just in the past few years.

Maybe there's something in the water there in the Gateway City! Good luck Kyle, glad to see you finally got a new team! Thanks for the fine pitching for us!
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"The designated hitter rule is like letting someone else take Wilt Chamberlain's free throws." Rick Wise

"Every hitter likes fastballs, just like everybody likes ice cream. But you don't like it when someone's stuffing it into you by the gallon. That's what it feels like when Nolan Ryan's thrown balls by you." Reggie Jackson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    I bet Brewers fans are hoping this wont fall apart like the Jeff Suppan and Braden Looper signings they had at the end of the last decade. Those two were decent to serviceable starters in St. Louis to being barely serviceable in Milwaukee. I like Lohse, but there have been a few guys that left the Cardinals (where they seemed to redeem themselves as pitchers) and went the other way on their new teams. I am thinking of guys like Piniero, Weaver, and these two just in the past few years.

Maybe there's something in the water there in the Gateway City! Good luck Kyle, glad to see you finally got a new team! Thanks for the fine pitching for us!
    The 'something in the water' is named Dave Duncan. He is well known for resurrecting pitcher's careers.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    The 'something in the water' is named Dave Duncan. He is well known for resurrecting pitcher's careers.
    And he will be sorely missed. That guy was a true magician. Some don't think so, but I truly believe he had a way to really help guys find something that made them "better" or more competitive out there. The list would go on and on of those who either returned to being a fine pitcher, or became one under his watchful eye.

By the way, I think your signature (or whatever it is called down there) is hilarious!

"The designated hitter rule is like letting someone else take Wilt Chamberlain's free throws." Rick Wise

"Every hitter likes fastballs, just like everybody likes ice cream. But you don't like it when someone's stuffing it into you by the gallon. That's what it feels like when Nolan Ryan's thrown balls by you." Reggie Jackson

you can say what you want about boras but that guy really has some balls when he has his Client to sit out the whole spring Training in waiting for a better contract.

many would have signed a lesser contract in february in fear of not getting one at all if they don't but boras is just never giving in and the Clubs know that. that is why he always wins the contract negotiations.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Marlins bringing up top pitching prospect Jose Fernandez. He hasn't pitched above A-ball, so it will be interesting to see how he fares.

Juan C. Rodriguez‏@JCRMarlinsbeat
    #Marlins will limit Jose Fernandez to 150-170 innings. Beinfest expects him to log them all in majors.

This is great! This thread is about to end! I love it! It's like being a kid just before Christmas morning! Amazing how I can get so excited to watch other guys play a game...

Joe Frisaro‏@JoeFrisaro
    #Marlins Opening Day lineup: Pierre 7, Coghlan 8, Stanton 9, Polanco 5, Brantly 2, Solano 4, Kotchman 3, Hechavarria 6, Nolasco 1

Placido hitting cleanup.

Jason Bay does indeed make the Mariners Opening Night roster while Casper Wells is DFA'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Joe Frisaro‏@JoeFrisaro
    #Marlins Opening Day lineup: Pierre 7, Coghlan 8, Stanton 9, Polanco 5, Brantly 2, Solano 4, Kotchman 3, Hechavarria 6, Nolasco 1

Placido hitting cleanup.
    Yeah, good luck Fish! Maybe they are just hoping Stanton will clear the bases and Placido will be like another leadoff guy? Stanton is awesome! Polanco is just getting old...

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    Jason Bay does indeed make the Mariners Opening Night roster while Casper Wells is DFA'd.
    Hopefully you all will have better luck with him than the Mets did! He may have just been one of those guys that couldn't play with all the distractions there. Or maybe it is a sign that he is done...

Hopefully you all will have better luck with him than the Mets did! He may have just been one of those guys that couldn't play with all the distractions there. Or maybe it is a sign that he is done...
    Well I think he just lost it. He did good for a season and a half in Boston. If you can perform there, you can perform anywhere. He hit .267/.384/.537, 36 HR 119 RBI in with Boston in 2009.

Hopefully he gets it turned around for the Mariners this season. I hate seeing that do poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    Well I think he just lost it. He did good for a season and a half in Boston. If you can perform there, you can perform anywhere. He hit .267/.384/.537, 36 HR 119 RBI in with Boston in 2009.

Hopefully he gets it turned around for the Mariners this season. I hate seeing that do poorly.
    I agree. I hate to see guys fall flat like that. It seemed amazing how he went from a solid middle of the order guy to someone who couldn't hit at the Mendoza Line! I never had anything against Bay, really didn't know much about him when he was in Pittsburgh, and rooted for him while he was bashing in Boston. It's weird how so many stars have signed with the Mets and done just terrible.

I don't agree with choosing Bay over Wells. Wells is younger, more versatile and under club control. Bay may have had the better spring, but nothing that has happened the past 3 years suggest that Bay has anything left. The Doug Fister trade looks even worse now.

Blog Entries
    I agree. I hate to see guys fall flat like that. It seemed amazing how he went from a solid middle of the order guy to someone who couldn't hit at the Mendoza Line! I never had anything against Bay, really didn't know much about him when he was in Pittsburgh, and rooted for him while he was bashing in Boston. It's weird how so many stars have signed with the Mets and done just terrible.
    Perhaps he can turn it around the way beltre did after he left seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Cap78 View Post
    Perhaps he can turn it around the way beltre did after he left seattle
    I read on either espn.com or mlb.com that the Mariners were bringing in the OF walls this season, so that may help all of their sluggers. Who knows, it could just be a change of scenery that will get him going again. Maybe not. Not a lot of pressure or expectations for that team this year, I don't think, so that could help too.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223