Thread: "This Week In Baseball"-1977 Available On DVD

"This Week In Baseball"-1977 Available On DVD

MLB has released all episodes from the first season of "This Week In Baseball" on DVD-R and they can be ordered at a very reasonable price of $9.99 from Amazon. This was the first year for the series and the 17 weeks of programs allows one to rediscover the 1977 season in new ways since most of the telecasts of regular season games from that year no longer exist. The programs span from May to September 1977 and the last one of the year was made before the AL East race was decided but it's still compelling and I hope MLB will be releasing the subsequent years too.

Very intriguing -- has the MLB Network shown any interest in broadcasting these?

I loved that show as a kid. I watched it every Saturday morning. I couldn't wait to see the TWIB notes. If I remember correctly, Tim Mccarver hosted it.

DVD-R? I think I'll pass.

Furthermore, if this is supposedly an official MLB release, why isn't it available on their own shop? That's another red flag for me.
    Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 12-09-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant View Post
    I loved that show as a kid. I watched it every Saturday morning. I couldn't wait to see the TWIB notes. If I remember correctly, Tim Mccarver hosted it.

You dont remember correctly....Mel Allen was the host for 20 years
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post

Furthermore, if this is supposedly an official MLB release, why isn't it available on their own shop? That's another red flag for me.

I know a few fans who have gotten it (I will be getting it in a few weeks) and they all say it's absolutely fantastic. Quality is great, etc.

For 10 bucks, I dont see a reason not to get it, considering nothing like this has ever been released.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    I know a few fans who have gotten it (I will be getting it in a few weeks) and they all say it's absolutely fantastic. Quality is great, etc.
    I take it none of them have had a problem with the DVD-R? There's been talk that DVD-R's won't play on certain DVD players.

And I repeat, if this is an official MLB release, why doesn't their own online shop sell it?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

I take it none of them have had a problem with the DVD-R? There's been talk that DVD-R's won't play on certain DVD players.

And I repeat, if this is an official MLB release, why doesn't their own online shop sell it?

no, none had an issue with the DVD-R....and i've personally played probably thousands of DVD-R's on my dvd players over the years (I'm a collector of old games and tv shows) and never had an issue. I cant swear it will play on every dvd player, because im sure there are some it wont, but I can only speak for myself and the people I know.

As for why it's not on their online shop.....I cant answer that. I just hope this release does well enough that MLB will release the rest of the seasons.

#1-It IS an official MLB release, complete with packaging. MLB is simply following the example already set by Warner Archive with dozens of movies and TV series released this way in an on-demand format.

#2-The quality is fine and there is no difference overall quality wise in terms of how it looks from this and "pressed" DVDs. For a price as low as this to get a chance to see a lost era of baseball history again, this is a steal compared to the astronomical ripoff prices of other releases.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31gTzy8ayhL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/This-Week-Base...+Baseball+1977
    Last edited by epaddon; 12-10-2012 at 12:25 AM.

I only started watching TWIB in the last few years (my memories of it, start with Buzz Brainerd as host :lol: ) and so this does look interesting!