Thread: Robert Wiggins, former Negro Leaguer, passes away

Robert Wiggins, former Negro Leaguer, passes away

Mr. Wiggins died Nov. 16 at the Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital. He was 79.
    This is a nice piece on him:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/obituar...o-leagues.html
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently selling New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, San Francisco Giants, Tampa Bay Rays and Washington Nationals card lots! Player lots of Tony Gwynn, Felix Hernandez, Nolan Ryan and Giancarlo Stanton! Plus a guide on how to get autographs ... for free!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Thanks, Cowtipper. An interesting story on a forgotten era - the negro Leagues after integration of the majors.
    After the final East-West Negro Lgs. All-star game of August 1953,writers say they could see the Negro Leagues were in trouble because there was not enough enthusiasm to support the continuence of the all-star game for 1954 or beyond since all of the best players were being signed by MLB teams.
    Trivia: on the final East-West all-star game rosters there were only two players who reached the majors (where there had been 7 to 9 players on Negro Lg. all-star rosters in the late 1940s who would eventually reach the majors).
    I won't turn this into a guessing game.- The two were Ernie Banks and Francisco "Pancho" Herrera. both of the Kansas City Monarchs.
    Last edited by philliesfiend55; 12-06-2012 at 10:33 AM.