Thread: Dumping the Hero

Blog Entries

Dumping the Hero

I don't know the answer to this one...Feel free to research it.

Hideki Matsui and John Wetteland. Both players won the World Series MVP and were with a new team before the next season began. Any other examples who were traded to or signed with a different team as a free agent after winning the WS MVP?

Edgar Renteria - 2010 WS MVP with Giants, with Reds in 2011.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Jersey cards of Edinson Volquez, Craig Kimbrel and David Ortiz! Bat card of Troy Tulowitzki! Autographs of Drake Britton, Kyle Lotzkar, Casey Weathers, Michael Burgess, Bryan Anderson, Trevor Bauer, Adam Lind, John Ely and Lorenzo de la Cruz! Plus a guide on how to get autographs...for free!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Ray Knight signed with the 87 Orioles and Edgar Renteria signed the 2011 Reds

Blog Entries
    Found another one: Jack Morris signed as a free agent with Toronto following his WS MVP in 1991.

This does not make your exact criteria but the saying was unforgettable

"Sparky Lyle went from Cy Young to sayonara" after winning the Cy Young in 1977 then being moved to a lesser role as the Yankees acquired Goose Gossage for the 1978 season then being traded after the 1978 season
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

This thread reminds me of when I won the batting title on my softball team, and the next year I batted 10th. Grrr. Perhaps my WAR wasn't high enough!

Was Matsui the first WS MVP that was present at the ring ceremony as a member of the visiting team?