X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chicagowhitesox1173
    2005 World Series Champs
    • Jun 2010

I was kinda surprised Carl Hubbell and Ed Walsh were complety left off the list. I always ranked Hubbell better than Carlton for leftys.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
      2005 World Series Champs
      • Jun 2010

Thinking about it now but where is Mickey Cochrane I always had him ranked as a top 3 catcher.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• toomanyhatz
        • Aug 2012

If Alexander at 50 is ridiculous- and I believe it is- Grove at 47 is equally so. Their relative placing is about right, but Grove is much more comparable to Walter Johnson than he is the other pitchers that are down in his vicinity. They should both be at least top 20.
        Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2020

Comment

• Ben Grimm
          Semi-lucid User
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by toomanyhatz View Post
          If Alexander at 50 is ridiculous- and I believe it is- Grove at 47 is equally so. Their relative placing is about right, but Grove is much more comparable to Walter Johnson than he is the other pitchers that are down in his vicinity. They should both be at least top 20.
          Possibly due to his [Grove] player comps on BB-Ref. His top three comps are:

Palmer (89th)
          Clarkson (not ranked)
          Plank (103rd)

If that's the case, he did rather well. But I pretty much agree that both pitchers could have been higher. I still think alot of the factors here came into players the voters actually saw play when it came to a coinflip.
          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• BigRon
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
            Possibly due to his [Grove] player comps on BB-Ref. His top three comps are:

Palmer (89th)
            Clarkson (not ranked)
            Plank (103rd)

If that's the case, he did rather well. But I pretty much agree that both pitchers could have been higher. I still think alot of the factors here came into players the voters actually saw play when it came to a coinflip.
            Yeah, but anybody who knows anything realizes that player comps are next to worthless. They totally ignore era context and home ballpark context. Era context is extremely important. Obviously a hitter in 1910, even a geat one, is going to look puny on a slugging scale. To use Grove as an example, he played most of his career in one of the two highest offense eras in history- and, he played much of his career in hitters' parks- a double whammy that player comps totally disregard.

Comment

• fenrir
              • May 2007

Top 25 voted by the fans on ESPN.com:

1.Babe Ruth
              2.Willie Mays
              3.Ted Williams
              4.Hank Aaron
              5.Lou Gehrig
              6.Ty Cobb
              7.Mickey Mantle
              8.Joe DiMaggio
              9.Cy Young
              10.Barry Bonds
              11.Stan Musial
              12.Walter Johnson
              13.Honus Wagner
              14.Rogers Hornsby
              15.Albert Pujols
              16.Frank Robinson
              17.Greg Maddux
              18.Rickey Henderson
              19.Mike Schmidt
              20.Randy Johnson
              21.Tris Speaker
              22.Roger Clemens
              23.Tom Seaver
              24.Joe Morgan
              25.Alex Rodriguez

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                2005 World Series Champs
                • Jun 2010

Dimaggio is deff high on the fans list.

Comment

• JR Hart
                  2010, 2012, 2014
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by fenrir View Post

1.Babe Ruth
                  2.Willie Mays
                  3.Ted Williams
                  4.Hank Aaron
                  5.Lou Gehrig
                  6.Ty Cobb
                  7.Mickey Mantle
                  8.Joe DiMaggio
                  9.Cy Young
                  10.Barry Bonds
                  11.Stan Musial
                  12.Walter Johnson
                  13.Honus Wagner
                  14.Rogers Hornsby
                  15.Albert Pujols
                  16.Frank Robinson
                  17.Greg Maddux
                  18.Rickey Henderson
                  19.Mike Schmidt
                  20.Randy Johnson
                  21.Tris Speaker
                  22.Roger Clemens
                  23.Tom Seaver
                  24.Joe Morgan
                  25.Alex Rodriguez
                  I've seen worse, many of them on here. It's great to see DiMaggio get the respect that he deserves. Does anyone really think that when DiMaggio retired that anyone thought that he was worse than Tris Speaker? no chance It's good to see some common sense on that.

Overall, it's a pretty solid top 25. I would quabble with some of the rankings (Morgan out, Mantle lower, Bonds, Wagner higher), but overall it's pretty darned good. I give the fans some credit.
                  This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

• Bothrops Atrox
                    IDC/ZRC/NJC*/*
                    • Feb 2005

1.Babe Ruth
                    2.Willie Mays
                    3.Ted Williams
                    4.Hank Aaron
                    5.Lou Gehrig
                    6.Ty Cobb
                    7.Mickey Mantle
                    8.Joe DiMaggio
                    9.Cy Young
                    10.Barry Bonds
                    11.Stan Musial
                    12.Walter Johnson
                    13.Honus Wagner
                    14.Rogers Hornsby
                    15.Albert Pujols
                    16.Frank Robinson
                    17.Greg Maddux
                    18.Rickey Henderson
                    19.Mike Schmidt
                    20.Randy Johnson
                    21.Tris Speaker
                    22.Roger Clemens
                    23.Tom Seaver
                    24.Joe Morgan
                    25.Alex Rodriguez
                    Were they given the pool of this 25 players to chose from?
                    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• fenrir
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by Matthew C. View Post
                      Were they given the pool of this 25 players to chose from?
                      Actually, yes. I suspect if they weren't, Pete Rose and Nolan Ryan would have made the top 25.

Comment

• JR Hart
                        2010, 2012, 2014
                        • May 2012

Actually, yes. I suspect if they weren't, Pete Rose and Nolan Ryan would have made the top 25.
                        You know that, or did they just vote for the top 100?
                        This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                          2005 World Series Champs
                          • Jun 2010

Without a doubt.

Comment

• TomBodet
                            Team Veteran
                            • Sep 2012

I heard a podcast w/ David Schoenfield, and basically he heavily favored the moderns ala Bonds, Rocket, etc. I don't fault the thinking, though it seems odd to me, he and the host diss Black Jack Morris as a Hof, but then in the next breath are pushing Kenny Lofton(?!)....uhh okay guys. I heard Willie Wilson was up too--

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                              2005 World Series Champs
                              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by TomBodet View Post
                              I heard a podcast w/ David Schoenfield, and basically he heavily favored the moderns ala Bonds, Rocket, etc. I don't fault the thinking, though it seems odd to me, he and the host diss Black Jack Morris as a Hof, but then in the next breath are pushing Kenny Lofton(?!)....uhh okay guys. I heard Willie Wilson was up too--
                              Yeah these voters are not good usually. I wish they would have credited historians vote these guys in.

Comment

• Sockeye
                                Sunday, May 14, 1978
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
                                I wouldn't even rate Jordan as the best basketball player. I would have had both Chamberlain and Robertson ahead of him.

As far as best athlete, it depends on whether they meant the best individual athlete or most dominant athlete in their sport? They never made that clear, which may account for some of the wacky voting. Either way, it still wouldn't be Jordan. If they were going for best individual athlete it should have been Jim Thorpe. If they were going for most dominant than it should have easily been Gretzky.
                                I've always said that the best basketball player in my lifetime was Magic Johnson. Granted Wilt the stilt and the Big O were before my time. Most underated basketball player of all time...Tom Chambers.
                                My dream ballpark dimensions
                                LF: 400 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
                                RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
                                Location....San Diego

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X