Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: ESPN's Top 100 MLB Players of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    The competition and depth was much deeper when Jordan played, and deeper still today. Chamberlain was going up against "top" centers who were about the same size as Jordan. Dolph Schayes was 6-7 195. Jordan was 6-6 210. Jordan lead his league in win shares in 9 straight seasons in which he began on the team's roster. He won 6 championships in leagues with an average of 250% as many teams as Russell had to beat to win 12 IOW his teams surpassed approximately 150 other teams in winning those championships, versus fewer than 100 teams that Russell's Celts surpassed in winning 12.
    Haven't looked at this thread in a while. Besides seeing a few more awful rankings, I've got to ask- Brett- where did you get the idea that Chamberlain was playing against little guys. here's a list of centers Chamberlain played against:

Abdul- Jabbar- 7'2"
    Nate Thurmond- 6'11'
    Bob Lanier- 6'11"
    Walt Bellamy- 6'11"
    Willis Reed- 6'10"
    Bill Russell- 6'10"

In fact, there were more accomplished big men in the NBA in the 60s and 70s than today, despite the league consisting of 1/3 to 1/2 as many teams.

Chamberlain did play against several smaller centers, but included in that group are outstanding players like Dave Cowens, Zelmo Beatty, and Wes Unseld. Chamberlain faced more high level competition in the post than what is available in the NBA today.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Haven't looked at this thread in a while. Besides seeing a few more awful rankings, I've got to ask- Brett- where did you get the idea that Chamberlain was playing against little guys. here's a list of centers Chamberlain played against:

Abdul- Jabbar- 7'2"
    Nate Thurmond- 6'11'
    Bob Lanier- 6'11"
    Walt Bellamy- 6'11"
    Willis Reed- 6'10"
    Bill Russell- 6'10"

In fact, there were more accomplished big men in the NBA in the 60s and 70s than today, despite the league consisting of 1/3 to 1/2 as many teams.

Chamberlain did play against several smaller centers, but included in that group are outstanding players like Dave Cowens, Zelmo Beatty, and Wes Unseld. Chamberlain faced more high level competition in the post than what is available in the NBA today.
    Chamberlin is overrated. Russell surely should have a much higher standing...... and before I hear the bogus "Russell had better teammates" argument, remember that in Russell's last 2 years, Wilt had better teammates, Wilt had the home court, and Russell's team won both years. OOPS!

The basketball discussion was so four months ago. Move it along about baseball, please.

Musial shouldn't be top 12, he should at least be top 10.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Not a bad list at all considering the source...
    They got a lot right. My biggest quibble would be that if Clemens is the top pitcher, then they are clearly using league-quality arguments to put him over Johnson, Young, Alexander, etc.
    But if their LQ adjustments are that large, then they probably should have pushed Bonds to the top over Ruth. What I am saying is I think Bonds has a better argument as top player ever than Clemens does as top pitcher.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567