Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pheasant
    • Nov 2011

Piazza and Thome are WAY too low, as is Arky Vaughan.

Comment

• The Commissioner
      Administrator
      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
      I'm probably being biased but who else would it be? I suppose Babe Ruth or maybe Jim Thorpe would be the next best choices.
      I wouldn't even rate Jordan as the best basketball player. I would have had both Chamberlain and Robertson ahead of him.

As far as best athlete, it depends on whether they meant the best individual athlete or most dominant athlete in their sport? They never made that clear, which may account for some of the wacky voting. Either way, it still wouldn't be Jordan. If they were going for best individual athlete it should have been Jim Thorpe. If they were going for most dominant than it should have easily been Gretzky.

Comment

• Cap78
        Not a Loveable Loser
        • Oct 2010

Anyone else think fisk is too high? Sure he played a long time and was a solid player, great for catching standards...then i see how far down campanella was...even if his career was cut short, he ought to be higher up

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
          2005 World Series Champs
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Cap78 View Post
          Anyone else think fisk is too high? Sure he played a long time and was a solid player, great for catching standards...then i see how far down campanella was...even if his career was cut short, he ought to be higher up
          I think Piazza should be higher than Fisk. It's kinda tough to say where he should be ranked if theyr'e going by career.
          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• Cap78
            Not a Loveable Loser
            • Oct 2010

I think Piazza should be higher than Fisk. It's kinda tough to say where he should be ranked if theyr'e going by career.
            Bill james catchers - campanella = 3, piazza =4, fisk = 6

Comment

• brett
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
              I wouldn't even rate Jordan as the best basketball player. I would have had both Chamberlain and Robertson ahead of him.

As far as best athlete, it depends on whether they meant the best individual athlete or most dominant athlete in their sport? They never made that clear, which may account for some of the wacky voting. Either way, it still wouldn't be Jordan. If they were going for best individual athlete it should have been Jim Thorpe. If they were going for most dominant than it should have easily been Gretzky.
              The competition and depth was much deeper when Jordan played, and deeper still today. Chamberlain was going up against "top" centers who were about the same size as Jordan. Dolph Schayes was 6-7 195. Jordan was 6-6 210. Jordan lead his league in win shares in 9 straight seasons in which he began on the team's roster. He won 6 championships in leagues with an average of 250% as many teams as Russell had to beat to win 12 IOW his teams surpassed approximately 150 other teams in winning those championships, versus fewer than 100 teams that Russell's Celts surpassed in winning 12.

Comment

• dgarza
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by dgarza View Post
                I'm thinking that, because we don't see Ozzie Smith yet, means we WILL see him ranked higher....
                Ozzie over Frank Thomas...

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                  2005 World Series Champs
                  • Jun 2010

I think the biggest head scratcher is Steve Carlton at 26.

Also when Nolan Ryan is ranked higer than Lefty Grove, Pedro Martinez and Warren Spahn you know your list is in trouble.
                  "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• SamtheBravesFan
                    Braves Fan For Life
                    • Nov 2005

I think the biggest head scratcher is Steve Carlton at 26.

Also when Nolan Ryan is ranked higer than Lefty Grove, Pedro Martinez and Warren Spahn you know your list is in trouble.
                    I honestly thought Nolan Ryan would have been in the Top 25.
                    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                      2005 World Series Champs
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                      I honestly thought Nolan Ryan would have been in the Top 25.
                      I thought for sure Koufax would make their top 25 too.

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                        2005 World Series Champs
                        • Jun 2010

These will more than likely be the remaining pitchers.
                        Cy Young
                        Walter Johnson
                        Roger Clemens
                        Greg Maddux
                        Tom Seaver
                        Randy Johnson

Comment

• PVNICK
                          • Jul 2007

Brooks Robinson way too high. Nice to see Matthews get his due, Collins and Lajoie over Alomar (who was the ultimate ESPN highlight guy) and Kaline over Reggie.

Comment

• toomanyhatz
                            • Aug 2012

Grove is the one that's waaaay too low for me. Ryan ahead of him? Are you kidding me? And as much as I love Koufax as a player, there's no way he dominated as much or as long as Grove, who should absolutely be the top lefty, no questions asked. Top 25 for sure, and maybe top 10.

Pleasantly surprised at how high they have Foxx, though. Probably deserves to be a touch higher, but ranked better than I expected.
                            Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2020

Comment

• Bothrops Atrox
                              IDC/ZRC/NJC*/*
                              • Feb 2005

Ozzie Smith has been a historians favorite for a long time. 1st ballot, 15 ASG appearances, top 5 on every subjective SS list ever made, etc.

And when you look at his 73 WAR (41st all time), traditional and sabermetric opinion seem to be lining up with Ozzie. not that I would have him that high, but traditional opinion and sabermetrics agree that his high placement is not among the most questionable on the list.
                              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• BigRon
                                • Jan 2009

Yikes!

Most egregious error so far? Probably Ryan, at 35- unless they really meant that he was number 35 on the pitchers' list! To be fair, Ryan's probably in the mid-high 20s for a pitcher, so....

Brooks Robinson 43- way too high- a fine player, but closer to 100 than 43.

Roberto Clemente 33- Clemente and Paul Waner were almost the same player- Waner's what- 92?

Carlton 26- he's probably around 15- 16 as a pitcher, so top 50's possible- but 26?

Banks is quite a bit too high at 51, Griffey Jr. seems too high at 34, but at least he's not miles out of line.

Alexander at 50? Absurd- he has a case as the greatest pitcher ever, and certainly is in the top 5. Shouldn't be below top 20 or so overall.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X