Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: 1903 Free Agency Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Okay, I'm back- snowstorm held me up for a while.

Lighthouse Point Bums sign:

Ed Poole 2 years $8.0 per year
    Gus Thompson 1 year $2.75
    Rip Reagan 1 year $0.25
    Jim Cook 1 year $0.25
    John Murphy 1 year $0.25
    Jack Hardy 1 year $0.25

That brings me to 28 players. I have no idea who's left on the available FA list to fill out my last 2 roster spots.
    If you were in Mayville you should know by now that "storm" was just a dusting compared to what can happen here.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Blog Entries
    The Rams sign Tim Jordan at 9.75M for five years. Ed Walker, Connie McGeehan, and Alex Hardy get 250K/1 yr. deals.

Pleased to get Jordan, kind of kicking myself for paying that much for him. Still, a couple All-Star seasons at well below market value are worth 30M in sunk payroll in this league, I think.

1903 is going to be a rough year. But everything should turn around in 1904 when Murphy becomes a star and Delahanty a regular, and my pitching suddenly out of nowhere becomes excellent.
    Last edited by Erik Bedard; 12-29-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Pleased to get Jordan, kind of kicking myself for paying that much for him. Still, a couple All-Star seasons at well below market value are worth 30M in sunk payroll in this league, I think.
    I was ready to go to around 6-7M for Jordan. Above that, I felt that the two all star seasons weren't worth paying the contract for what are essentially three totally worthless seasons. It's all in your perspective of course, and Dan saw it differently than I did. The fact that I drafted another good first baseman this year also made the choice not to go higher easy for me.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Lighthouse Point Bums sign

John Lovett 1 year $0.25
    Happy Iott 1 year $0.25

assuming no one else has signed these two jewels.

Sharks sign Alex Jones, 1 year - $250k
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

The Sharks will also sign Billy Sullivan and Buck Hooker (roll-eyes), both to $250k deals. Buck will be for 1 year, and Sullivan will be for 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    The Sharks will also sign Billy Sullivan and Buck Hooker (roll-eyes), both to $250k deals. Buck will be for 1 year, and Sullivan will be for 5.
    I know over in the CKL we limited guys signed during the free signing period to one year deals. I don't know if Rich did that here or not.

You never know until it plays out, but I may have gotten the best deal in the FA draft. somewhere along the line I picked up Henry Schmidt for 1903. Schmidt played only 1 season in the ML, 1903. He pitched 301 innings and won 22 games for a middle of the pack Brooklyn team. His ERA wasn't very good, but he did win 22 games and had 29 CG in 36 starts. In any case, I picked up 301 IP and a whole lot of staff flexibility for $500K.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    You never know until it plays out, but I may have gotten the best deal in the FA draft. somewhere along the line I picked up Henry Schmidt for 1903. Schmidt played only 1 season in the ML, 1903. He pitched 301 innings and won 22 games for a middle of the pack Brooklyn team. His ERA wasn't very good, but he did win 22 games and had 29 CG in 36 starts. In any case, I picked up 301 IP and a whole lot of staff flexibility for $500K.
    That would have been the rookie draft, and Schmidt was on my board. Didn't get a chance to draft him but might have considered it had he been available at a pick I had. Innings are always nice in this league, but I wouldn't count on Schmidt being more than a back-end rotation filler type.

Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    I know over in the CKL we limited guys signed during the free signing period to one year deals. I don't know if Rich did that here or not.
    Now that you mention it, I think he did. Oh well, I don't really care

This is certainly a bit off topic for this thread, but I'd like to mention that I sure would like Joel and Ron to consider joining us over in the CKL. Both have proven themselves to be good owners. You guys both put together very good teams, and have been really involved with the league. The CKL could use you.

yes - one year for players signed at the end of free agency to fill rostars
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    This is certainly a bit off topic for this thread, but I'd like to mention that I sure would like Joel and Ron to consider joining us over in the CKL. Both have proven themselves to be good owners. You guys both put together very good teams, and have been really involved with the league. The CKL could use you.
    I appreciate the vote of confidence, and as tempting as that is, I'm probably going to try to either go back to school or work soon, and shouldn't get involved in any more long-term things that require large time commitments.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617