Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 1903 Season Thread

I guess Donahue's tank was empty - today at least. Congrats on the win Dan. As I mentioned, I'll have to be rooting for Jack to win it all so that I get the 9th pick rather than the 10th. But good luck anyway.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Please set the Kumquat starting pitchers in the following order for the next series: White, Mullin, Leever, Sutthoff.

Jack
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Since Kalamazoo, our cross-state rivals to the west, took 5 of our 6 games during the season I'd say they are a prohibitive favorite. We could call this the I-94 series but I-94 didn't exist in 1903.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Rich,

I assume the series will start on 10/14, is that correct?

If so, you can keep my MP the same other than to my next starter to #1.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

It was truly even between the Tigers and Express this year. We split during the season, winning 12 each, and it came down to that seventh game in the playoffs, so Dan took the ultimate rubber match.

Kumquats lost the season series to the Dragons, 10-14, but took the playoff series in six, so you have a good shot, Dan. They do have a pretty potent team though.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

World Series Game 1
    Detroit at Kalamazoo
    Young vs White

The battle of Michigan began in Kalamazoo opted to bring out Doc White to go against Cy Young of Detroit. The Tigers offense struck first in the 2nd inning. Beaumont and Ritchey singled to put runners on the corners. Selbach grounded to third and Beaumont scored on the fielder’s choice. Detroit added another in the 3rd when Dahlen walked and then scored on a Chance triple. 2-0 Tigers.

Kalamazoo though is capable of putting crooked numbers on the board in a hurry, and they went to work in the bottom of the 3rd. Wagner tripled with one out, and came home on a sac fly by Daugherty. Seymour singled and Donlin doubled him home to knot things up at 2. Steinfeldt hit a 2-run homer to un-knot things and give Kalamazoo a 4-2 lead.

Detroit's bats had taken a sabbatical during the ALCS, but they welcomed the chance to flex some muscle at Huntington Ave Grounds. They loosened up in the 5th. With 2 outs, Roth sent the first pitch he saw sailing over the wall in left. Dahlen singled and Chance crushed a 2-run blast down the line in left field to reclaim the lead for Detroit 5-4. In the 7th, Detroit plated a couple more runs as Bay singled and stole second, and Roth doubled him home and scored on a single by Chance. After 6 ˝ innings it was 7-4 Tigers.

As they have done all season, Kalamazoo went to work scoring runs. In the bottom of the inning, Seymour singled and came home on a 2-run homer by Donlin, cutting Detroit’s lead to 7-6.

Kalamazoo tried to get a 9th inning rally going. Detroit brought in Bergen to play catcher even though Roth had gone 3-4 with 2 runs and 2 rbi’s. To lead off the inning, Seymour reached on an infield single and then immediately stole second. Donlin doubled him home to tie things up at 7. With first base open they opted to give Steinfeldt a free pass. Doyle then struck out before Howell pitch went off Bergen’s glove and all the way to the backstop. The runners advanced to 2nd and 3rd on the passed ball. Gleason was then intentionally walked to set up the force at any base, and Kalamazoo marched Bemis out to pinch hit for Dooin. Bemis lifted a long fly out to left, and Donlin tagged up and scampered home to give the home team a 8-7 win and an early 1 game to none lead in the series.

World Series Game 2
    Detroit at Kalamazoo
    Phillippe vs Mullin

This time the Kumquats drew first blood. In the first inning, Wagner led off with a double and scored on a Seymour double to put the home team up 1-0. Then, in the 3rd, Moren singled and scored on a Wagner triple who then scored as Daugherty reached on an error by Cross. After 3 innings it was 3-0 Kumquats.

Detroit came back in the 4th as singles by Dahlen, Beaumont, and Ritchey scored one rin and cut the Kumquat lead to 3-1. They added a couple more runs in the 7th as Ritchey walked and Hoffman launched a shot to right – the 2-run home run tied the game 3-3. The game remained tied til the Tigers came up in the 8th. Chance doubled and one batter later Beaumont hit a mammoth shot to right for a 5-3 Tigers lead.

In the bottom of the 8th, Lauder came in to pinch hit for Moran. He rapped a single through the infield. Wagner got plunked by Phillippe to put runners on 1st and 2nd. Phillippe then threw a wild pitch to put them on 2nd and 3rd, and Daugherty hit a sac fly to cut the Tigers lead to 5-4. After Detroit was unable to score in the 9th they decided to go with Bergen again behind the plate and Howell on the mound. Beckley led off the inning with a single, and Steinfeldt sacrificed him into scoring position. Doyle walked to put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. Kid Gleason stepped up and swung at the first pitch he saw – lifting a fly ball to right that barely cleared the wall. The Huntington Ave exploded as Gleason’s post-season heroics continued. His dramatic walk-off 3-run homer gives Kalamazoo a 7-5 win and more importantly, a 2-0 series lead heading to Detroit.
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Stats for 1st 2 games
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    I guess Donahue's tank was empty - today at least. Congrats on the win Dan. As I mentioned, I'll have to be rooting for Jack to win it all so that I get the 9th pick rather than the 10th. But good luck anyway.
    Donahue actually outpitched Phillippe but 5 unearned runs were his downfall

Ouch...I think we're missing our closer Eddie Murphy.

Please remove Bergen as defensive replacement at C (vs both RH and LH pitching). No other changes to our MP.
    Last edited by scubadan; 03-09-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

World Series Game 3
    Kalamazoo at Detroit
    Leever vs. Young

Both pitchers started off a little shaky, as they allowed runners to get into scoring position in the first couple innings. Kalamazoo was finally able to dent the scoreboard in the 3rd as Wagner doubled and scored on a Seymour double. In the bottom of the inning, Sam Leever had to leave the game with tightness in his shoulder. Team doctors stated that he would not miss any time from the injury. Kalamazoo opted to do with Pittinger to replace him.

Detroit tied things up in the 4th. Clarke singled and was forced out on a grounder by Beaumont. Beaumont stole second and came around to score on a Hoffman single to right. Next inning, Detroit made some more noise as Roth singled, and Chance hit a 2-run homer to put Detroit up 3-1.

The Kumquats finally landed some punched to Young in the 6th. Beckley walked and then Gleason singled to right. Moran laced a double out to left scoring 2 runs, and Wagner singled him home to give Kalamazoo a 4-3 lead.

Detroit got that run back in the bottom of the inning, as Roth singled home the tying run. Cy Young was the biggest story of this game. Despite giving up the 4 runs, Detroit kept him out there and he gave up only one more hit in the 8th inning. He pitched a 1-2-3 9th, 10th 11th and 12th inning, and Detroit was able to scrape out a run in the bottom of the 12th on a base hit by pinch hitter Freil. Detroit earned a 5-4 win and guaranteed Tiger fans a 3rd home game this series.

World Series game 4
    Kalamazoo at Detroit
    Sutthoff at Phillippe

The Kumquat bats struck first in this game. In the 3rd inning, Doyle singled to lead off, followed by a base hit by Gleason. Moren walked to load the bases with no men out. Wagner brought home the first 2 Kumquat runs with a single up the middle. Seymour brought home 2 more runs with a base hit and Kalamazoo was up 4-0. The next inning Wagner knocked in another run with a single making the score 5-0.

Detroit was able to get on the board in the bottom of the 4th. Clarke tripled and scored on a Beaumont single, and in the 5th Chance brought home a run on a ground-out to short. Other than that it was an uneventful night for the Tiger bats. Kalamazoo added a run in the 5th to round out the scoring, and the Kumquats are one game away from their first P2PKL championship.

Here are the team stats

No change to the Tiger's MP for games 5 & 6.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

World Series game 5
    Kalamazoo at Detroit
    White vs. Jones

Both pitchers came out today with incredible stuff. Jones put up zero’s through 5 innings until finally giving up a run on a triple by Wagner and then a base hit by Donlin. That put Kalamazoo up 1-0. In the bottom of the inning Chance led things off with a base hit through the left side of the infield. He was gunned down trying to steal second on the next pitch, then White went about retiring the last 12 batters hurling a 4 hit gem of a shutout and giving the Kumquats their first P2PKL championship in a classic 1-0 game.
    Gentlemen – Great series and season. Jack, congrats on the big win. Please pick your MVP
    And thanks to everyone for putting together another great season.

Congrats, Jack! Great work! Maybe that trade for Wagner was worth it, huh? Dan, congrats on a fine season as well.

--Congrats on that first title Jack! Outstanding season Dan.

The Kumquats must again select Cy Seymour as MVP. He had an unbelievable World Series.

Jack
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Congrats Jack!

Congrats Jack. You handled my team in the Series about as easy as you did during the season. Blowing those first two games in your final at bat was just too much to overcome. We'll be gunning for you in 1904.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678