Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cardinal History

Quote Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
    Musial was mostly a right fielder in the late 40s, and Enos Slaughter played left, until they flip-flopped in 1950. I can't remember what kind of an arm either of them had. But they were both pretty fast afoot in their younger days.
    You're right, Country was in left more often that year, though not always. In 1948 Slaughter played 106 games in left, Musial was there only 41 times. Stan spent a lot of time in CF, taking over for Terry Moore. He also played a bunch in RF, and was in LF for a while at the beginning of the year -- after a spell where Country was in LF and he was in RF. He basically played wherever his manager told him to. Left was the place he played more frequently while in the OF, and Enos was in RF more often. Slaughter had a better arm, much better according to some teammates, than did Stan. Musial hurt his shoulder in the minors, which ended his pitching career. The best OF the Cardinals had in the 1940s had Musial in left, Moore in center, and Slaughter in right. That, in my opinion, if one of the greatest outfields in history! But I am biased.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"I sure was having a picnic with Frisch. You oughta seen the fellows in the clubhouse when I was puttin' him on. They was duckin' behind posts, tryin' to keep Frank from seein' how they was laughin', an' I had a time keepin' a straight face myself. I hope Frank manages the Cardinals forever. I sure love to drive that Dutchman nuts!" Dizzy Dean

After WWII. Musial led the Cardinals in homers every year for a long time, after Whitey Kurowski led the team in '47. How many of these names do you remember, of the players who were second on the team in Homers?

'47 RonNorthey
    '48 Ron Northey
    '49 Enos Slaughter
    '50 Tommy Glaviano
    '51 Billy Johnson
    '52 Solly Hemus
    '53 Steve Bilko and Ray Jablonski
    '54 Rip Repulski
    '55 Rip Repulski

In '53, the top four Cards in homers were Polish.. They had Joe Presko, Tom Poholsky and John Romanoski on the pitching staff, too, and called themselves The Polish Falcons.

After Terry Moore left,, they went a decade or more trying to find a third outfielder, and and went through a dozen Chuck Dierings and Bobby Del Grecos and Wally Westlakes and Gino Cimolis, and then traded Slaughter and moved Musial to first, and didn't even have one good one for a long time, probably until Curt Flood. In '56, they had Moon, Virdon and Repulski, and just couldn't wait to trade them all away. Even Ken Boyer played center field for a year.
    Last edited by jtur88; 09-26-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Ron Northey was another outfielder I think. Solly Hemus is a name I have seen pop up in a simulation game I think. I do recognize the names Bilko (the guy that SGT Bilko was named after, no joke), Jablonski and Repulski from some of my Cardinals history books. Same with former long time big league manager Bill Virdon and Wally Moon, too, who I want to say had some fine years at the beginning and moved on to the Dodgers or some team like that. They got some good starts out of lefty Harvey Haddix in the 50s as well. Yeah, the 1950s were not kind to our team, and to make matters worse the idiots in the office decided to remove the Birds on the Bat from the jerseys in 1957. That only lasted that one season, though.

"I sure was having a picnic with Frisch. You oughta seen the fellows in the clubhouse when I was puttin' him on. They was duckin' behind posts, tryin' to keep Frank from seein' how they was laughin', an' I had a time keepin' a straight face myself. I hope Frank manages the Cardinals forever. I sure love to drive that Dutchman nuts!" Dizzy Dean

In 1951 (I think), St. Louis nearly lost the Cardinals. I'm going from memory here, the facts may have been different. Fred Saigh, the owner, was convicted of some kine of tax law, and was forced to sell the Cardinals. There was a prospective buyer who wanted to move the team to Detroit, which would have left St. Louis with only the Browns, who in fact owned Sportsmens Park. I think that was when the Busch family came in to rescue the team and keep it in St. Louis. Frank Lane was the Cards GM, and he traded away everybody but Musial, and every decent prospect that came up.

Bill James says the reason the Cards were not a dynasty in the early 50s is because they wouldn't sign any black players. They still won't. Have you noticed that Reggie Sanders, in 2004, was the last African-American Cardinal to start over 100 games or pitch a whole season in the starting rotation? And they won't retire the numbers of McGee and Lee Smith, but they did Boyer and Sutter.

ETA: Ther Fred Saigh details:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Saigh
    Last edited by jtur88; 09-28-2014 at 09:05 AM.

How does 37-9 sound for a pitching record? Cardinal pitcher Howie Krist spent his entire career with the wartime Cards, from 1937-46, and compiled a record of 37-9, somewhat spoiled when he tried to make a come back after three years, and lost two games, making his career record a respectable 37-11. He even had six saves, and only one blown save.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ristho01.shtml

He was on three Cardinal teams that went to the World Series,but pitched to only one batter in the WS, giving up a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
    In 1951 (I think), St. Louis nearly lost the Cardinals. I'm going from memory here, the facts may have been different. Fred Saigh, the owner, was convicted of some kine of tax law, and was forced to sell the Cardinals. There was a prospective buyer who wanted to move the team to Detroit, which would have left St. Louis with only the Browns, who in fact owned Sportsmens Park. I think that was when the Busch family came in to rescue the team and keep it in St. Louis. Frank Lane was the Cards GM, and he traded away everybody but Musial, and every decent prospect that came up.

Bill James says the reason the Cards were not a dynasty in the early 50s is because they wouldn't sign any black players. They still won't. Have you noticed that Reggie Sanders, in 2004, was the last African-American Cardinal to start over 100 games or pitch a whole season in the starting rotation? And they won't retire the numbers of McGee and Lee Smith, but they did Boyer and Sutter.

ETA: Ther Fred Saigh details:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Saigh
    Yeah you're right. The Cardinals may have ended up in Detroit (if the Tigers office-dwellers allowed them to settle in their city), but were looking like they would leave the Browns to own St. Louis either way. Gussie bought the team with the promise to keep them in St. Louis. I posted a long article about Gussie's buying the team from an old Cardinals Yearbook from the year he passed (actually, probably the season after that, I think he passed late one year). There is a thread I started in our Cardinals forum with articles from the old Yearbooks that I still have (I think it is 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991), and there is one where an author describes Busch's buying the team.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234