X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herr28
    A Midsummer Knight
    • Jan 2012

Lots of the same thing over and over again in that Ozzie video. Still, remember how awesome it was with the Wizard at shortstop? How about this guy? Remember what it felt like with Albert Pujols in the middle of the order?

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• Herr28
      A Midsummer Knight
      • Jan 2012

Bob Gibson clip:

Comment

• Danielh41
        • Apr 2007

If you want to go way back in Cardinal history and want an entertaining read at the same time, read The Summer of Beer and Whiskey. http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Beer-Wh...er+and+whiskey
        Rockies fan living in Texas

Comment

• Herr28
          A Midsummer Knight
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Danielh41 View Post
          If you want to go way back in Cardinal history and want an entertaining read at the same time, read The Summer of Beer and Whiskey. http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Beer-Wh...er+and+whiskey
          Does the book spend a lot of time on the great 1880s American Association Browns? I don't want to waste a lot of time reading about the horrible Browns teams of the early National League, that is a bit depressing. There was the season or two that the Robeson's added their best Spiders to our team when they bought it and changed the name to the Perfectos. The next year we became the Cardinals, based off the colors not the bird, but when the AL formed many of those great players went to other teams and we sucked again for a couple decades. I don't waste a lot of time reading about those depressing years either.

St. Louis never really had much money to be able to compete with the Cubs and Giants in buying up the best players, and that is what led Branch Rickey to convince new owner (at that time in the 1920s) Sam Breadon that they should invest their money by buying up a minor league system of their own - to avoid having to bid against the deep pockets of New York and Chicago. From that period on, the Cardinals have had a competitive team with the big boys, and that is where I spend my time reading and studying our history. I do like to read up on the raucous bunch back in the 1880s AA, too. We had some excellent stars back then: Silver King, Tip O'Neill, Bob Caruthers, Arlie Latham, Curt Welch, Charlie Comiskey, Tony Mullane, Jumbo McGinnis, Fred Lewis and Dave Foutz among them. However, I don't like to spend a lot of time dwelling on those dark and lean years during the 1890s, and from 1901 through to the early 1920s.

I guess that is what it feels like to be a Cubs fan! No hope, one miserable summer after another. That is terrible, I shouldn't have said that. But, my Cubs-fan cousin did like to ride me about that 17-run Cubbie win over the Birds the other day, so. . .

Comment

• Herr28
            A Midsummer Knight
            • Jan 2012

I was just messing around on ebay, as if I need to waste any more money on baseball stuff (or crap as the wife calls it), but I saw an early 1990s Cardinals t-shirt that had a caricature of Ozzie Smith on the front, with a small Bob Tewksbury in the bottom corner. Tewk was drawn from behind, as if he was sketching the Wizard's caricature. Now my question is, did Tewk have that incredible talent for sketching his mates? It kind of sounds familiar, as in I think I heard of a player (most probably a Cardinal) during that time that drew pictures of teammates, but I don't remember it being our ace Tewk.

Does anyone else remember this? Does anyone have one of these t-shirts? Did Tewksbury draw these pictures of his mates as the shirt suggests? Am I completely ridiculous? The answer to that last question is probably "yes."

Comment

• Danielh41
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
              Does the book spend a lot of time on the great 1880s American Association Browns? I don't want to waste a lot of time reading about the horrible Browns teams of the early National League, that is a bit depressing. There was the season or two that the Robeson's added their best Spiders to our team when they bought it and changed the name to the Perfectos. The next year we became the Cardinals, based off the colors not the bird, but when the AL formed many of those great players went to other teams and we sucked again for a couple decades. I don't waste a lot of time reading about those depressing years either.

St. Louis never really had much money to be able to compete with the Cubs and Giants in buying up the best players, and that is what led Branch Rickey to convince new owner (at that time in the 1920s) Sam Breadon that they should invest their money by buying up a minor league system of their own - to avoid having to bid against the deep pockets of New York and Chicago. From that period on, the Cardinals have had a competitive team with the big boys, and that is where I spend my time reading and studying our history. I do like to read up on the raucous bunch back in the 1880s AA, too. We had some excellent stars back then: Silver King, Tip O'Neill, Bob Caruthers, Arlie Latham, Curt Welch, Charlie Comiskey, Tony Mullane, Jumbo McGinnis, Fred Lewis and Dave Foutz among them. However, I don't like to spend a lot of time dwelling on those dark and lean years during the 1890s, and from 1901 through to the early 1920s.

I guess that is what it feels like to be a Cubs fan! No hope, one miserable summer after another. That is terrible, I shouldn't have said that. But, my Cubs-fan cousin did like to ride me about that 17-run Cubbie win over the Birds the other day, so. . .
              The book focuses on the 1883 American Association season. St. Louis finished second that year.
              Rockies fan living in Texas

Comment

• Herr28
                A Midsummer Knight
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Danielh41 View Post
                The book focuses on the 1883 American Association season. St. Louis finished second that year.
                That fits in with the years I can stomach reading about. They had some fine players back then. I saw the book at a bookstore in town here a few months back, but I didn't check it out. I know some guys here had been talking about it, but I didn't follow much of that thread either. Now that I have the summer free, I might find time to give it a look, but I am backed up with 4 Dizzy Dean bios I picked up during the last semester, and the summer is my time for long motorcycle tours up north. The Dean books may be the only ones I can fit in the saddlebags, but I will certainly put this book on my read list for late summer/next winter.

I appreciate the info, please share any fun moments that you enjoyed from the book if you have time! I don't worry about spoilers, I always enjoy a good baseball story!

Comment

• Herr28
                  A Midsummer Knight
                  • Jan 2012

Here is Game 6 of the 1982 World Series, from youtube channel ClassicMLB11. The Cardinals even the Series at 3 apiece, back at home in Busch Stadium (despite the use of the DH, Dane Iorg in this game) with a 13-1 thrashing of the watered down Wallbangers! Young John Stuper (first rookie to start 2 World Series games since Dick Hughes in 1967) handcuffs the powerhouse Milwaukee lineup, and the Redbirds pound veteran Don Sutton and reliever Doc Medich to please the hometown crowd in the old coliseum under the Arch!

Nice Atari ad after Stuper retires the top of the first!

Comment

• dominik
                    • Oct 2008

Pacman
                    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Herr28
                      A Midsummer Knight
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                      Pacman
                      Aw, c'mon. I hated those old joysticks and red button set ups. My cousin had a ton of Atari games, and I never got used to that damn joystick.

Comment

• dominik
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
                        Aw, c'mon. I hated those old joysticks and red button set ups. My cousin had a ton of Atari games, and I never got used to that damn joystick.
                        I would probably hate it now too but then I loved it. my dad got an atari very early and pacman was one of the games I remember.
                        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Herr28
                          A Midsummer Knight
                          • Jan 2012

I would probably hate it now too but then I loved it. my dad got an atari very early and pacman was one of the games I remember.
                          I haven't played on an Atari system in about 30 years, but we did get a couple discs of various Atari games for the X-Box a decade ago. My wife loved Dig Dug, and there was some game I played, Space Invaders or something like that - nope it was Galaga, or however it is spelled. The only problem (now that the joystick issue had been eliminated) is that I like a game with a goal, and end point. Many of those games where just endless, and the goal was to attain the high score at the arcade or pizza joint (where I first played Pac-Man in the very early 1980s). I don't care for that, I want to sit back and feel like I reached the satisfaction of "mission accomplished." I don't care to waste time wracking up point totals.

I'll take a game with a storyline and an attainable victory, like Super Mario Brothers (III preferably) any day over a game where you just compile points, like Tetris. However, I can't remember the last time I played a video game. I still have that original X-Box sitting in the living room, we use it as a DVD player. My wife has a Wii, and we have a Gamecube so I could play the Super Mario Brothers games (I-III). They are all collecting dust.

I was a fool in 2002 when moving from one apartment to another in Minneapolis, and I set my original Nintendo NES (with the game Contra, my favorite on that system) in front of our dumpster in the alley for anyone to take. What a moron. My favorite game to play back then was a baseball game on the Sega system, it was from 1991 or 1992. You could play any of those "current" teams, or any division champ from 1984 to date. I was always using the 1984 Padres, 1986 Red Sox, or 1986 Angels. The 1985 and 1987 Cardinals were still too painful for me to use at that time, oh it hurts to even think about it!

While stationed in Illesheim, Bayern, with 6-6 Cav (Storck Barracks), I bought a Play Station and my buddy gave me a baseball game with 1998 stats and teams. I could create players with their own skill sets, so I made players for all my friends and family I played with while growing up, put us all on the Cardinals, and played a ton of seasons to collect the stats! That was my favorite game of all time. I tried a baseball game for the X-Box, but it sucked. I never got used to all the crap I had to do while pitching or hitting. I loved the simple baseball games, like that Play Station game from the late 1990s. However, when I left Germany (and my first stint in the Army) I gave the system to a friend of mine in our sister unit of 2-6 Cav. I think I still have the game hanging around somewhere, and if it still plays in the current systems, I might dust it off and play it again!

Comment

• dominik
                            • Oct 2008

for me it was the opposite. I stopped playing Computer games when you needed a Manual and Multi day missions..

For me that was too complicated I just wanted to Switch it on, Play for half an hour and then Switch it off.

Comment

• Bothrops Atrox
                              IDC/ZRC/NJC*/*
                              • Feb 2005

for me it was the opposite. I stopped playing Computer games when you needed a Manual and Multi day missions..

For me that was too complicated I just wanted to Switch it on, Play for half an hour and then Switch it off.
                              Me too. I preferred the linear style of games. They were quick, fun, easy, and didn't waste hours of your life.
                              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• Herr28
                                A Midsummer Knight
                                • Jan 2012

I don't waste any time playing games anymore, and I never got on with those ridiculous games that take count the hours or days wasted playing them. I had those two baseball games I liked, and when I was a kid I played the Mario games (really only liked the third one) and Contra (my little brother and I would play together). If I could play that simple baseball game from 1997 or 1998 (whichever it was, I think it was 1997 but I got it in 1998 or 1999), I would spend the money on a used system. It was far less complicated than the crap I tried playing in 2005.

My son will be playing those kind of systems before I know it, then I will have my mind blown on whatever these new video games are doing and/or looking like.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X