Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First woman MLB player - when?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    It doesn't seem that way. I mean, we're basically saying that "women aren't as strong as men" and thus are keeping them from playing because of this. In what way is that not sexist?
    You're putting two ideas together here. "Women aren't as physically strong as men"- proven biological fact. "Thus they are not qualified to play Major League Baseball"- an opinion, and potentially a sexist one.
    Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

So can't women still play even if they might not be as strong? Strength isn't everything.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

So can't women still play even if they might not be as strong? Strength isn't everything.
    Women can play if they are good enough to play. Do you know of any major league caliber female baseball players?
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

^ Uh huh. So if a woman tried out for a MLB team right now, do you think anyone would let her?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

^ Uh huh. So if a woman tried out for a MLB team right now, do you think anyone would let her?
    So if I wanted to try our for my favorite team, the San Francisco Giants, would they let me? If I was good enough I sure they would. If there was a female ballplayer with major league potential I'm sure teams would look at her.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

I still don't understand why it's not sexist to say that women aren't as strong as men.

I mean, saying it like that is just a less overtly offensive way of calling women "the weaker sex". And haven't we moved beyond that?

How can equality have any meaning if it's not absolute?

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    If there was a female ballplayer with major league potential I'm sure teams would look at her.
    So there is no flat-out rule that forbids a woman from trying out for a major league team, today, like right now? That's something, anyway.
    Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 01-08-2013 at 08:11 PM.

I honestly think a team would eat up a potential female MLB player. She'd be like the Danica of the racing world. Good enough to race, not even close to the best, but still a money maker in a massive way. MLB is about money, and a female ball player would make MILLLLLLIONS, especially if she was good enough to play and not just be a novelty. So yes, I think a female that was good enough would get the chance. This isn't 1950 anymore.

I still don't understand why it's not sexist to say that women aren't as strong as men.
    I'm not trying to be a grammar nazi, but your triple negative sentence has kinda thrown me off. Are you saying it's sexist to say women aren't as strong as men?

Let me start off by saying (if it's not already clear) that I'm all for a female reaching the MLB. I think it's theoretically possible. I have a preteen daughter that plays baseball and loves it with every bone in her body. She wants nothing to do with softball. With that said, it's simple fact to say that women aren't as strong as men. Sure, there are SOME women that are stronger than SOME men. However, in general, men have that whole testosterone advantage. That's why a male gorilla can rip a man, literally, limb from limb. Everything he eats turns into pure testosterone. Men produce, on average 10x more testosterone than women. Therefore, we'll be stronger. Stating fact isn't sexist. The reason I think a woman CAN make it to the pros someday, is because baseball doesn't require the biggest, fastest, and strongest. That all helps, but it's not a requirement to be good at the game.

Because it's a fact that men are stronger than women (on average). Pretty much every woman will tell you that. Do you think that "men are taller than women" or "in the USA, women live longer than men" are sexist statements?

Quote Originally Posted by clayadams View Post
    I honestly think a team would eat up a potential female MLB player. She'd be like the Danica of the racing world. Good enough to race, not even close to the best, but still a money maker in a massive way. MLB is about money, and a female ball player would make MILLLLLLIONS, especially if she was good enough to play and not just be a novelty. So yes, I think a female that was good enough would get the chance. This isn't 1950 anymore.
    For sure If Jessica Ennis could play MLB baseball she's be hugely popular with women, especially young girls, and she'd have a legion of Internet fan boys. Oh, wait. She already has a legion of Internet fan boys. She's been very popular since the London Olympic Games.

Jessica Ennis red.jpg

599DF35450E2AEDB3ACE197DF6F4.jpg
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-09-2013 at 09:30 AM.

MLB is about money, and a female ball player would make MILLLLLLIONS.
    Ain't that the truth. There will indeed be a publicity machine like you wouldn't believe once a woman makes MLB.

baseball doesn't require the biggest, fastest, and strongest. That all helps, but it's not a requirement to be good at the game.
    Also true. So if men really are stronger than women, that's insufficient to keep women out. Are we ALL in agreement on that?

Also true. So if men really are stronger than women, that's insufficient to keep women out. Are we ALL in agreement on that?
    Laser, I don't really think anything is keeping women out of MLB. If there's a woman good enough to play, I guarantee you they'd be on it like white on rice. The problem occurs way down stream IMO. It goes back to what I previously said. "Girls play softball, boys play baseball." There are too many "good 'ole boys" clubs still in place. I could go into my personal experiences on the subject, both positive and negative. We're still in the early stages of our journey, so I don't know how it will play out into the future. For now, my daughter is a great combination of tomboy and girly girl. She has a determination that I've seen very few girls have. If more girls could have this level of determination, and you find the genetic freaks... it could happen. If they're not "shunned" out of playing the game to start with. I just think too many of those capable will ever be in the game. Who knows what the future may hold. For now, I'm just enjoying working with my daughter on whatever she enjoys doing.

Several times a girl high school pitcher that throws 85 mph has been mentioned. Her name is Sandy Almon. She graduated from high school in 2011. She now plays for the Chicago Pioneers, a women's traveling baseball team. Almon is the middle girl in the first row.

Sandy Almon.jpg

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-high-sc...aseball-field/

http://johnscreek.patch.com/articles...ne-of-the-guys

Almon in high school.

Sandy Almon 3.jpg

Sandy Almon 1.jpg

Sandy Almon 2.jpg

I couldn't find any video of Almon pitching. But I did find this video of Almon hitting the winning three-point shot in a high school basketball game.

According to this article in 2011, 698 girls played baseball.

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/...chool-baseball
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-11-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Someone pulling out the google foo.

Someone pulling out the google foo.
    Should I post more photos of the lovely Jessica Ennis?

Blog Entries
    This guy is listed at 5'5" and 148 lbs. He once hit three home runs in one game.

Attachment 118408

So I'm still going with a Jessica Ennis type with baseball skills at second base. Playing second base has the shortest throw. With her speed and explosiveness just maybe she can do what Juan Pierre does?

Attachment 118409

Attachment 118410

Attachment 118413

Attachment 118414
    um, is it me or does that guy in the first pick look very excited to hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Cap78 View Post
    um, is it me or does that guy in the first pick look very excited to hit?
    Well, he doesn't look to excited in this photo.

Freddie Patek head down.jpg

Where would they change clothes before and after a game?
    Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

If there was a female ballplayer with major league potential I'm sure teams would look at her.
    Substitute black for female, and you'd be quoting Judge Landis.

So if men really are stronger than women, that's insufficient to keep women out. Are we ALL in agreement on that?
    If Juan Pierre can have a successful MLB career, I don't see why a woman couldn't.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Substitute black for female, and you'd be quoting Judge Landis.
    Sorry, wrong answer aches. You are really reaching here. Please show us who are the modern female versions of Josh Gibson, Oscar Charleston, Satchel Paige, Jackie Robinson (remember they were teammates? ), Pop Lloyd, Smoky Joe Williams, Martin Dihigo, Biz Mackey, Mule Suttles, Cristóbal Torriente, Louis Santop, etc. Where are all these great female ballplayers today who are ready to play in the majors right now but are being barred by MLB? We patiently await for your long list of female ballplayers.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-17-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Sorry, wrong answer aches. You are really reaching here. Please show us who are the modern female versions of Josh Gibson, Oscar Charleston, Satchel Paige, Jackie Robinson (remember they were teammates? ), Pop Lloyd, Smoky Joe Williams, Martin Dihigo, Biz Mackey, Mule Suttles, Cristóbal Torriente, Louis Santop, etc. Where are all these great female ballplayers today who are ready to play in the majors right now but are being barred by MLB? We patiently await for your long list of female ballplayers.
    My comment was intended more in an ironic, humorous vein, but obviously it didn't come off that way. No offense meant.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

The amount, and quality, of the discussions this subject has brought up has done a nice job of justifying my starting it, so thanks all.

I think what it comes down to is, there is no easy answer. I think the woman that could succeed in the majors would be rare, just like the Freddie Pateks and Jose Altuves of the world are rare. They've had to face enormous prejudice as well, just in terms of our opinions of what a ballplayer 'looks like'. Every rule has an exception, though.

My wife, who as I said inspired this thread, is still convinced that even a talented woman would be kept out by the still existing 'old boys network'. I'm not 100% convinced she's wrong, though I do think things are changing. Just slowly, as the old prejudices are more common and more deeply entrenched in sports than in other areas. I'm glad to see most people here seem to be at least positively disposed to the idea. I'd certainly like to see it in my lifetime.
    Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    My comment was intended more in an ironic, humorous vein, but obviously it didn't come off that way. No offense meant.
    No worries, aches. I was a bit surprised by your post. I wasn't sure it was humor or not.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyhatz View Post
    The amount, and quality, of the discussions this subject has brought up has done a nice job of justifying my starting it, so thanks all.

I think what it comes down to is, there is no easy answer. I think the woman that could succeed in the majors would be rare, just like the Freddie Pateks and Jose Altuves of the world are rare. They've had to face enormous prejudice as well, just in terms of our opinions of what a ballplayer 'looks like'. Every rule has an exception, though.

My wife, who as I said inspired this thread, is still convinced that even a talented woman would be kept out by the still existing 'old boys network'. I'm not 100% convinced she's wrong, though I do think things are changing. Just slowly, as the old prejudices are more common and more deeply entrenched in sports than in other areas. I'm glad to see most people here seem to be at least positively disposed to the idea. I'd certainly like to see it in my lifetime.
    Why does she believe this? I can see if a female player was just used as a side show then the male ballplayers would probably not give the female much respect. As I mentioned before when Annika Sörenstam played a PGA Tour event she was invited, she didn't qualify. This annoyed some male pros. If she had gone to qualifying school and earned her PGA Tour card I doubt any male pros would objected much. If she qualifies then she's qualifies. I think we laid out the difficulties of a woman ballplayer playing in the majors and being a productive player. Now if Jessica Ennis could hit and field she's could help my SF Giants in the outfield. In the end I think the creation of a WMLB would be a more interesting development. I'd go see a women's major league game if they played some good ball. I'm not sure how many other people would though. The WNBA has been around since 1996 yet six teams have folded.

How fast can Jen Finch pitch a baseball underhand? Probably pretty damn fast. I think that is the bast chance. A pitcher.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast