Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 226 to 241 of 241

Thread: First woman MLB player - when?

  1. #226
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in the Seven Valleys
    Posts
    4,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    So, you don't know either?
    Are we having a late night cat fight?
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    6,055
    Is it just a coincidence that International Women's Day is the only day with just 23 hours?

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in the Seven Valleys
    Posts
    4,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    Is it just a coincidence that International Women's Day is the only day with just 23 hours?
    Women can get things done faster than men.
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    6,055
    Korean Women Baseball, should we pay attention?

  5. #230
    I've never heard of it. I'm much more interested in how the women's "pro" league is doing in Japan.

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    23,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    Korean Women Baseball, should we pay attention?
    Are you talking about a professional league? I did an Internet search and nothing came up.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

  7. #232
    I personally see the future of baseball for women in Japan and their pro league. They've already offered Chelsea Baker 50k a year. The Japanese aren't near as hung up on the whole "girls are inferior" thing as most cultures. With American girls playing over there, I think it could actually grow into something. Baseball is HUGE over there.

    I don't know how many people actually know this, but there are a women's and 16u girls Team USA. They practice out of the same complexes as the men's Team USA teams and travel all over the world. Japan is usually their largest competition (and more often than not beat us), because the girls are playing baseball from tball on vs our girls playing baseball and being forced into softball. Australia is also another country that has a very strong girl's baseball scene, and they're usually one of our stronger competitors as well.

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in the Seven Valleys
    Posts
    4,004
    Quote Originally Posted by clayadams View Post
    I personally see the future of baseball for women in Japan and their pro league. They've already offered Chelsea Baker 50k a year. The Japanese aren't near as hung up on the whole "girls are inferior" thing as most cultures. With American girls playing over there, I think it could actually grow into something. Baseball is HUGE over there.

    I don't know how many people actually know this, but there are a women's and 16u girls Team USA. They practice out of the same complexes as the men's Team USA teams and travel all over the world. Japan is usually their largest competition (and more often than not beat us), because the girls are playing baseball from tball on vs our girls playing baseball and being forced into softball. Australia is also another country that has a very strong girl's baseball scene, and they're usually one of our stronger competitors as well.
    A few women have posted on here about their experiences playing on adult women baseball teams. I don't know what happened to them.

    Out of 100,000 girls playing youth baseball only 1,259 survived to play for their HS baseball teams in 2012/2013. The point that girls and young women make is they would prefer playing baseball against other girls rather than switch to softball. I think the only way both girl's softball and girl's baseball could exist at the HS level is in larger school districts with huge numbers of girls trying out for spring sports.

    I have noticed more girls playing at our local Little League than when my son last played LL ball twelve years ago.
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    6,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Are you talking about a professional league? I did an Internet search and nothing came up.
    I think I saw some mention of a Korean pro league on twitter.

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    6,055
    French teen first female to be added to MLB's international registration list
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25222137
    Melissa Mayeux.
    Last edited by Phantom Dreamer; 06-22-2015 at 05:39 PM.

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Second Base
    Posts
    15,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    French teen first female to be added to MLB's international registration list
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25222137
    Melissa Mayeux.
    I was just reading about her in the article at mlb.com: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/132044...gible-sign-mlb

    Here is a clip of that article:

    MLB Director of International Game Development Mike McClellan has been watching Mayeux play for two years.

    "She's a legitimate shortstop who makes all the plays and is very smooth and fluid in the field," he said. "She swings the bat really well and is fearless."

    McClellan recalls an at-bat the right-handed Mayeux had during a tournament in Barcelona in April. She was facing a 19-year-old Dominican pitcher who was throwing 91 mph, which is considerably harder than most pitchers in her age group can throw. "She ripped a base hit off of him, just to the right of second base," McClellan said. "She just went with the pitch, and she looked good doing it."


    EDIT: On my way to the gym this morning I heard Lindsay Berra (author of that article on mlb.com I linked to here) talking on NPR about Mayeux. It will be interesting to see where she goes to play for college, and if France can qualify for the WBC, Mayeux is eligible to play for them as well. It is exciting to see how her career can play out from now moving forward.
    Last edited by Herr28; 06-24-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    "I thought Maris was the one guy we needed. He was a complete player who could field, throw and run." Whitey Ford

    "[Roger Maris] played hard and played hurt and was one of the fastest guys in baseball. Roger was a great player and I was glad he was coming to New York." Johnny Blanchard

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    6,055
    Sarah Hudek to be only female in college baseball next season.
    http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/07/20/sar...k-usa-baseball

  13. #238
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Free Brady
    Posts
    1,629
    Blog Entries
    1

  14. #239
    Hudek through a no hitter in the Pan Am games a few days ago against, I believe, Venezuela.

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in the Seven Valleys
    Posts
    4,004
    Here's a story about Oz who pitched for a Div III team in Maine for two years.

    http://www.marinij.com/sports/201508...r-the-pacifics
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

  16. #241
    Proud to say I know Oz. Hope she keeps doing well!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •