Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most titles by a non Yankee

Amos Strunk was another 4 player WS winner guy.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    Amos Strunk was another 4 player WS winner guy.
    You got it. Only one to go.
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    You got it. Only one to go.
    Yeah i've been thinking of players and checking em as I go otherwise i'd have 20 extra posts on here. I remembered Amos Strunk from a draft we did recently.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Johnny Podres was on the post-season roster in 1965; he just didn't play in the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Macker View Post
    Johnny Podres was on the post-season roster in 1965; he just didn't play in the World Series.
    Can you find that on baseball reference?

Larry Gardner was the other 4 WS guy.

Can you find that on baseball reference?
    No. I don't care what Baseball Reference has. Some of their data is erroneous, and they are slow to correct it (or accept corrections.) Multiple sources (The Sporting News World Series Record Book and Neft/Cohen's The World Series for two) indicate Podres was on the roster but didn't play. The Dodgers used only 20 players in the World Series in 1965. Podres was one of the ones who didn't play.

Larry Gardner was the other 4 WS guy.
    That's the last one. Congrats!

On a side note Rube Marquard lost 5.
    This quote of yours from before made me think of a related trivia question. There are 10 players who have played in the WS on the losing side in at least 5 seasons. (No restriction on whether or not the player was ever on the Yankees with this question.) Marquard is one. Can anyone guess the other 9 without cheating?
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Pee Wee Reese
    Gil Hodges
    Duke Snider
    Carl Furillo
    Roy Campanella???
    Billy Cox??
    Ralph Branca??
    Don Newcombe???

Pee Wee Reese
    Gil Hodges
    Duke Snider
    Carl Furillo
    Roy Campanella???
    Billy Cox??
    Ralph Branca??
    Don Newcombe???
    You got 3, including one of the two 6-timers.

Pee Wee Reese (6: Dodgers 1941, '47, '49, '52-53, '56)
    Carl Furillo (5: Dodgers 1947, '49, '52-53, '56)
    Gil Hodges (5: Dodgers 1947, '49, '52-53, '56)

Branca and Snider were good guesses -- each of them played on WS-winning teams in 5 seasons, but did not actually play in the WS in one of those seasons.

6 to go.
    Last edited by Nerdlinger; 01-04-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford lost 5 each while winning all those others.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"I sure was having a picnic with Frisch. You oughta seen the fellows in the clubhouse when I was puttin' him on. They was duckin' behind posts, tryin' to keep Frank from seein' how they was laughin', an' I had a time keepin' a straight face myself. I hope Frank manages the Cardinals forever. I sure love to drive that Dutchman nuts!" Dizzy Dean

Jackie Robinson would have to be another.

Terry Pendleton lost two with the Cardinals and at least two with the Braves possibly a third.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford lost 5 each while winning all those others.
    That they did. Two more down.

Whitey Ford (5: Yankees 1955, '57, '60, '63-64)
    Mickey Mantle (5: Yankees 1955, '57, '60, '63-64)

Jackie Robinson would have to be another.
    Terry Pendleton lost two with the Cardinals and at least two with the Braves possibly a third.
    Yup.

Terry Pendleton (5: Cardinals 1985, '87; Braves '91-92, '96)
    Jackie Robinson (5: Dodgers 1947, '49, '52-53, '56)

Only two players to go. One has 5 seasons, the other 6.

Fred Merkle....lost with three different teams. I did look up NY Giants and thats how I came across his name.

Fred Merkle....lost with three different teams. I did look up NY Giants and thats how I came across his name.
    That is correct.

Fred Merkle (5: Giants 1911-13; Robins '16; Cubs '18)

Poor Merkle.

Only one left....

Elston Howard was around for those five Yankee losses, plus one more as a member of the 1967 Red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee Walker View Post
    Elston Howard was around for those five Yankee losses, plus one more as a member of the 1967 Red Sox.
    Yep he's gotta be the last one. I didn't even think of him. I was thinking of guys from the 1910's or 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee Walker View Post
    You got it. He's the last one.

Elston Howard (6: Yankees 1955, '57, '60, '63-64; Red Sox '67)

Thanks for playing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123