Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 74 of 74

Thread: MLB markets where baseball is #1?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth, Australia by way of Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    I was listening to a radio show in NY (via a radio app) that NYC is "forced" to be a baseball town because of the long success of the Yankees. But it really is a basketball town. If you think about it, there are more NBA stars that hail from NYC than MLB stars.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

    If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,278
    I believe a Jets meaningless monday night game got higher local ratings than a Yankees ALCS game last year.

    Football is king everywhere in the US, except apparently St. Louis according to people on page 1 of this thread
    Last edited by GordonGecko; 01-08-2013 at 11:31 AM.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    I believe a Jets meaningless monday night game got higher local ratings than a Yankees ALCS game last year.

    Football is king everywhere in the US, except apparently St. Louis according to people on page 1 of this thread
    Sad. A football team from a rival state gets more play than the Yankees in a playoff series anymore. Imagine if the Bills had been playing.

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
    I was listening to a radio show in NY (via a radio app) that NYC is "forced" to be a baseball town because of the long success of the Yankees. But it really is a basketball town. If you think about it, there are more NBA stars that hail from NYC than MLB stars.
    Baseball's rules [basically as we know them] were codified and popularized in the now five burroughs of NYC so that is something. Of course New Jersey snuck its way in there too, ala the Elysian Fields.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    I believe a Jets meaningless monday night game got higher local ratings than a Yankees ALCS game last year.

    Football is king everywhere in the US, except apparently St. Louis according to people on page 1 of this thread
    That's one way to gauge it. But only one.

    Drawing higher ratings does not necessarily mean more people care about one team than the other. Do you believe the Jets are more popular than the Yankees?
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    Do you believe the Jets are more popular than the Yankees?
    Apparently the NFL is indeed now more popular than the Yankees, in New York itself. That's the only conclusion one can draw from same night ratings. More people would rather watch a train wreck (the Jets) playing football than they would postseason Yankees baseball. That's not my opinion, that's the facts of what people were watching in metro New York

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,278
    Here are the numbers for that aforementioned Monday night game:

    Jets beat Yankees in ratings in New York and nationally
    http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpa...8BW0NAarR4EfHN

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Far NE Philadelphia
    Posts
    5,625
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Here are the numbers for that aforementioned Monday night game:

    Jets beat Yankees in ratings in New York and nationally
    http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpa...8BW0NAarR4EfHN
    LOL @ using the first nationally televised game as a mark.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    LOL @ using the first nationally televised game as a mark.
    Are you a giggling 12-year old girl or something? "Like, OMG, I can't like believe you texted that. LOLz"

    Who cares about "nationally televised", what part of local ratings is too hard for you to understand? Locally, the football game got a 13.8 rating compared to 11.0 for the Yankees (25% more people). Nationally it was a landslide (10.0 vs 3.6)
    Last edited by GordonGecko; 01-08-2013 at 01:24 PM.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Here are the numbers for that aforementioned Monday night game:

    Jets beat Yankees in ratings in New York and nationally
    http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpa...8BW0NAarR4EfHN
    You could put the dog walking Olympics on ESPN if they promote the hell out of it like they do MNF it would outdraw anything on TBS.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by BondsOverBabe View Post
    You could put the dog walking Olympics on ESPN if they promote the hell out of it like they do MNF it would outdraw anything on TBS.
    Listen, nobody was more shocked about those numbers than me when someone argued them to me last fall. Baseball is my favorite sport and I prefer it and watch it more that football. But I've come to terms with the fact that the NFL rules the sports landscape pretty much everywhere in the US now including New York City.

    Is that really going to be your argument, that a football game outdrew a Yankees postseason game locally because of promotion? The Yankees need promotion now? I'm sorry but baseball is in decline in terms of popularity and MLB is losing the youngest generations. Attribute that to promotion or whatever you want, the end result is the same

  11. #61
    Any NFL game will outdraw almost any MLB game. The one exception might be a World Series game 7 going up against SNF or MNF. Even then, it would probably take something like the Yankees vs Cubs to be able to beat out the NFL.

    In New York (or tri-state area), if only Jet and Yankee fans were allowed to watch TV that Monday night, I'd bet the Yankees would easily out rate the Jets, but there are many more casual fans who will choose football over baseball anytime.

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Listen, nobody was more shocked about those numbers than me when someone argued them to me last fall. Baseball is my favorite sport and I prefer it and watch it more that football. But I've come to terms with the fact that the NFL rules the sports landscape pretty much everywhere in the US now including New York City.

    Is that really going to be your argument, that a football game outdrew a Yankees postseason game locally because of promotion? The Yankees need promotion now? I'm sorry but baseball is in decline in terms of popularity and MLB is losing the youngest generations. Attribute that to promotion or whatever you want, the end result is the same
    Its not about football vs baseball. If you switched networks the #s would be the same. The better promoted sport on ESPN is going to rate higher than the sport on TBS.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodhaven ,New York
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Apparently the NFL is indeed now more popular than the Yankees, in New York itself. That's the only conclusion one can draw from same night ratings. More people would rather watch a train wreck (the Jets) playing football than they would postseason Yankees baseball. That's not my opinion, that's the facts of what people were watching in metro New York
    As a Yankee/Jet fan, I must say, you cannot miss a single football game with the short schedule.
    "Have faith in the Yankees my son. Think of the great DiMaggio."-Ernest Hemingway

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Here are the numbers for that aforementioned Monday night game:

    Jets beat Yankees in ratings in New York and nationally
    http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpa...8BW0NAarR4EfHN
    No one can deny the TV ratings. But that doesn't mean the Jets are more popular than the Yankees. Football translates better in a televised format. Football draws more viewers because of the gambling element. That's established. It doesn't mean anything in regards to individiaul team popularity.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

  15. #65
    There is more competition and Hate between Mets Yankees than Giants-Jets

    Mets fans despise the Yankees and many times wont even root or watch the Yankees.

    Yankee fans somewhat hate the Mets , but to a lesser degree since they are the dominent team.

    Until recently there wasnt much competiton between the Jets and Giants so there was much less hate between the team and fans of one team will watch the other.

    There is also less hate for the Giants than probably any other team in NYC and its becoming possible and maybe likely that the Giants will become the #1 team in NY (even surpassing the Yankees)

    The hate probably contributes to lower TV ratings

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    No one can deny the TV ratings. But that doesn't mean the Jets are more popular than the Yankees. Football translates better in a televised format. Football draws more viewers because of the gambling element. That's established. It doesn't mean anything in regards to individiaul team popularity.
    You are correct sir, but the topic of the thread is about markets where baseball is #1. The Yankees are a more popular individual team than probably the Giants and certainly the Jets, but as a sport my point was that in New York (where the Yankees do rule), baseball is no longer #1 as a sport in terms of popular interest, and the numbers back that up

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    You are correct sir, but the topic of the thread is about markets where baseball is #1. The Yankees are a more popular individual team than probably the Giants and certainly the Jets, but as a sport my point was that in New York (where the Yankees do rule), baseball is no longer #1 as a sport in terms of popular interest, and the numbers back that up
    And not just New York, I'm sure. But I think the OP was asking more than that. Popular interest and what's ingrained in the culture can be different. Someone earlier made the point about more NBA players from NYC than NFL players. I can believe that. Is there an equivalent to the pickup games at Rucker Park in either baseball or football. I think this is deeeper than just TV ratings, which, to me, is the most passive gauge of activity interest there is.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Peach State
    Posts
    666
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    Living in Atlanta, I would have to say I know slightly more Braves fans than Falcons fans.

    We love our Braves.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    I've been trying to figure out who is best in Atlanta: the Braves or Falcons. The Hawks, as far as I can tell, really haven't been that popular since the days of Dikembe Mutumbo.

    My guess is that the Falcons are the #1 team.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    Atlanta's a fickle sports town, they get behind who's most successful at the moment. That's the Falcons.
    Fickle town is right. Fickle state would be most accurate. However you guys are completely discounting Georgia and Georgia Tech football. There is not a professional team in the state that can compete with these and other college football programs (especially the "Dawgs"). High school football is even higher on the food chain.
    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Fox View Post
    Fickle town is right. Fickle state would be most accurate. However you guys are completely discounting Georgia and Georgia Tech football. There is not a professional team in the state that can compete with these and other college football programs (especially the "Dawgs"). High school football is even higher on the food chain.
    I'm not discounting that, I lived in Georgia. Like Texas, high school football is a slight notch below church in most places. UGA's definitely the king of football in Georgia; the Yellow Jackets (whom I'm a fan of) are more like the kid brother that can barely keep up with the big boys.

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    You are correct sir, but the topic of the thread is about markets where baseball is #1. The Yankees are a more popular individual team than probably the Giants and certainly the Jets, but as a sport my point was that in New York (where the Yankees do rule), baseball is no longer #1 as a sport in terms of popular interest, and the numbers back that up
    As long as the Yankees are relevant Baseball will be #1 in NYC. Jets and Giants are bigger in Jersey than they are in NYC.

  21. #71
    Baseball in the tri-state area is a 365 day sport. The rest of the sports are more seasonal. NFL is strong during the season, but baseball talk is usually a close second (about the same during October), and once the NFL season is over, it reverts back to heavy baseball talk.

    As for the TV, it's not a match. Football is better on TV then baseball. The season has 10x less games, and teams only play once a week. Also, the amount of fantasy players and gamblers that watch the NFL is much, much more than any sport in the US. The product the NFL puts on television is as good as it gets, enough so that some teams are worried about attendance because of the high quality the games are shown in, and the ability to watch multiple games all day on TV.

    Baseball is regional and it will probably never be where the NFL is nationally. I do agree that the younger generation is moving more towards football then baseball. Hopefully that changes some day because if not, the NFL will definitely rule the tri-state area in the near future.

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    Baseball in the tri-state area is a 365 day sport. The rest of the sports are more seasonal. NFL is strong during the season, but baseball talk is usually a close second (about the same during October), and once the NFL season is over, it reverts back to heavy baseball talk.

    As for the TV, it's not a match. Football is better on TV then baseball. The season has 10x less games, and teams only play once a week. Also, the amount of fantasy players and gamblers that watch the NFL is much, much more than any sport in the US. The product the NFL puts on television is as good as it gets, enough so that some teams are worried about attendance because of the high quality the games are shown in, and the ability to watch multiple games all day on TV.

    Baseball is regional and it will probably never be where the NFL is nationally. I do agree that the younger generation is moving more towards football then baseball. Hopefully that changes some day because if not, the NFL will definitely rule the tri-state area in the near future.
    What would it take to get the younger generation back to baseball I wonder.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    What would it take to get the younger generation back to baseball I wonder.
    Getting rid of computers, iPhones and video games, it seems.

    Seriously, I don't think there's much more they can do besides market the sport. Football will end up hurting itself because of their freaking out over concussions and other injuries. If the parents don't want their little babies getting concussions, they'll be forced into baseball and basketball.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,394
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think the lack of college baseball scholarships and college baseballs minmal stature hurts baseball. Baseball players are anonymous from little league until the majors, unlike football and basketball.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •