X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • milladrive
    • Sep 2006

The FAN on FM

Finally, no more static, nor losing the signal under overpasses and in tunnels. WFAN (660 AM) is now at last on FM (101.9).

I really hate AM's signals, so I'm extra elated that the Mets will now be accessible on FM.

Last edited by milladrive; 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM. Reason: Corrected FM station frequency
    Put it in the books.
  • Captain Cold Nose
    OSHA-certified Moderator
    • Jan 2000

No static at all.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• Ben Grimm
      Semi-lucid User
      • Jun 2012

They did it down here in Philly a few months ago. Difference is like night & day.

"Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• milladrive
        • Sep 2006

Cool movie. ...and an even better song. By a slim margin, my favorite Steely Dan song.

:guitar:

Originally posted by Ben Grimm View Post
        They did it down here in Philly a few months ago. Difference is like night & day.
        Indeed. I'm actually now looking forward to turning off the Fox announcers and listening to Howie Rose. :radio
        Put it in the books.

Comment

• Blue387
          Ya gotta believe
          • Jul 2010

I can listen to FAN callers in crystal clear FM, hooray.

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• NJYankeeFan
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
            Finally, no more static, nor losing the signal under overpasses and in tunnels. WFAN (660 AM) is now at last on FM (106.9).

I really hate AM's signals, so I'm extra elated that the Mets will now be accessible on FM.

I hate it. Not only can Carton be heard clearly but they got rid of the only decent music station in nyc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Strawman
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
              I hate it. Not only can Carton be heard clearly but they got rid of the only decent music station in nyc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
              I hate it too - you can hear Francesa's saliva. And really, who needs that?
              Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• milladrive
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                I hate it too - you can hear Francesa's saliva. And really, who needs that?
                lol... You guys are funny.
                Put it in the books.

Comment

• milladrive
                  • Sep 2006

For accuracy's sake, I think it only proper to call attention to the FM frequency I posted in the OP. I boo-booed. The OP has been edited to reflect the correct frequency (101.9).

...but they got rid of the only decent music station in nyc.
                  I must admit, I too liked the 101.9 format and am sorry to see it go. At the same time, on a radio dial in one of only two U.S. markets that has zero country music stations, those in NYC who enjoy country music have suffered more than anyone. (...And before anyone guffaws that comment, yes, I like country music.) Thank goodness for SiriusXM.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

• Chuck The Mets Fan!
                    • Oct 2008

Finally, no more static, nor losing the signal under overpasses and in tunnels. WFAN (660 AM) is now at last on FM (101.9).

I work in Manhattan now I can listen to weekday Met games unabated.
                    Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

• Chuck The Mets Fan!
                      • Oct 2008

For accuracy's sake, I think it only proper to call attention to the FM frequency I posted in the OP. I boo-booed. The OP has been edited to reflect the correct frequency (101.9).

I must admit, I too liked the 101.9 format and am sorry to see it go. At the same time, on a radio dial in one of only two U.S. markets that has zero country music stations, those in NYC who enjoy country music have suffered more than anyone. (...And before anyone guffaws that comment, yes, I like country music.) Thank goodness for SiriusXM.
                      I despise FM radio in New York City. I spend most of my time listening to Sports radio or my iPod Touch. Quite happy to see Sports Radio on FM.
                      Fan of The NY Mets!

Comment

• Gary Dunaier
                        Thumbs Down Guy/Moderator
                        • Sep 2007

I must admit, I too liked the 101.9 format and am sorry to see it go. At the same time, on a radio dial in one of only two U.S. markets that has zero country music stations, those in NYC who enjoy country music have suffered more than anyone.

WFAN's first year was on the 1050 frequency. (They moved to 660 during the 1988 NLCS.) Prior to that, 1050 was the home of country music station WHN.

My GIF has been viewed more than 377 million times!
                        https://giphy.com/gifs/mlb-yankees-t...wH6yMO7ED5xc7S

Comment

• jgangstahippie
                          Die Hard Yankee Fan :)
                          • Jun 2006

Kind of unrelated but did that new CBS Sports Radio station launch in NYC yet?
                          "Have faith in the Yankees my son. Think of the great DiMaggio."-Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• milladrive
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

WFAN's first year was on the 1050 frequency. (They moved to 660 during the 1988 NLCS.) Prior to that, 1050 was the home of country music station WHN.

I recall that station, too. And, as with most NYC country stations, it disappeared without notice and a decade-long hiatus ensued. In the early 2000s, there were a couple of country stations (un-Met-related) on Long Island, one of which was actually located in the city. The LI station changed in 2001, and the NYC station changed formats (to contemporary Latino music) not long after (5/02).

After ten years, one is bound to pop up sooner or later. In fact, there's a country station in Westchester (106.3), but the signal on even western Long Island is weak.

But...

Originally posted by Chuck The Mets Fan!
                            I work in Manhattan now I can listen to weekday Met games unabated.
                            THIS is what I'm happy about right now. I'd forgotten that AM can be a real pain in the neck with all the buildings of Manhattan. I get the feeling Chuck isn't the only happy person in Manhattan who, until now, had issues with Met radio broadcasts.

Frankly, I don't listen to the FAN for Mike Francesa, Joe Benigno, Evan Roberts, or Steve Somers. And I find that most of the callers say nothing that I can't find right here at BBF. My elation stems solely from being able to listen to the Met games on FM.
                            Put it in the books.

Comment

• Ben Grimm
                              Semi-lucid User
                              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by jgangstahippie View Post
                              Kind of unrelated but did that new CBS Sports Radio station launch in NYC yet?
                              It took a couple of months for CBS Sports to take on the AM station here in Philly. For the interem, we had the same station on both AM & FM with the only difference being the commercials. I didn't realize we had CBS down here until yesterday as I was driving and heard Jim Rome in my car.
                              "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X