Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First thing to teach a pitcher who is moving to open bases?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper5 View Post
    If this were a thread about how to steal bases, then guys would be posting that the pickoff moves of most RHPs don't pose much of a threat or deterrent. And I would agree.

But since it's a thread about how to deter basestealing, guys are posting about how important it is to throw over.
    LOL! That's how baseball coaching works, or didn't you get the memo? That reminds me of a time when I was a highschool pitching coach and the head coach came over and gave my pitchers a big speech on how important it was to get hitters to hit the ball on the ground. Keep it low, he said. The ground ball is a pitchers best friend. Out of curiosity, I followed him over to the batting cage where he went into a coaching session teaching hitters to hit down on the ball and keep it hard on the ground. I could only shake my head.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper5 View Post
    If this were a thread about how to steal bases, then guys would be posting that the pickoff moves of most RHPs don't pose much of a threat or deterrent. And I would agree.

But since it's a thread about how to deter basestealing, guys are posting about how important it is to throw over.
    Agreed. RHP picking over very rarely will become an out. At the high school level we use it, mostly, to gain information and possibly take away a little of his lead. Problem is, it sometimes increases the lead. We will do it to see if batter is squaring to bunt and which way the runner is leaning.

The only time it will become an out is if the pitcher gets away with a balk move and the runner was going.

RHP can pick effectively with a runner on third, though, right? I'm expecting a lot of runners making it to third, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HYP View Post
    Agreed. RHP picking over very rarely will become an out. At the high school level we use it, mostly, to gain information and possibly take away a little of his lead. Problem is, it sometimes increases the lead. We will do it to see if batter is squaring to bunt and which way the runner is leaning.

The only time it will become an out is if the pitcher gets away with a balk move and the runner was going.
    You just mentioned the negative side effect I've seen a number of times. If your pickoff move isn't very good it just encourages the runner to take a bigger lead.

Blog Entries
    In fact, one thing we used to do at 9 and 10 with a pitcher who did, indeed, have a good pickoff move was to have him throw weakly over a few times to encourage a bigger lead and then get him with the real move. Later my pitchers learn to do this with mechanics so that they don't really throw over faster, just more compact and efficient.

Uh, lets see;

1. Come to a complete and definite stop in the set position.
    2. Put the pivot foot next to the rubber and not on top of the rubber.
    3. Then, after that, have the chin go down when looking at a runner on first, not up and don't turn the shoulder to look.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12