Thread: The MLB Fan Cave

The MLB Fan Cave

Do those people in the fan cave get to leave and walk around the city, like, ever? As much as I love watching games, I'd hate to do nothing BUT that for months on end (especially when you're watching a dozen at a time). And as nice as the Fan Cave is, cabin fever would tend to set in...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Blog Entries
    not sure about your question, but I believe this past season they jumped the shark...first year was much better

^ Yeah, the original two guys were funny.

"I'm the one doing the fighting, not you, not you, and not you!"
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

I would imagine they could leave if no games were playing. Like in the morning.

And by the way, how could you enjoy a game if youve got up to 15 games going on at once? I would much rather sit down with a couple Mountain Dews and watch one game at a time.

Do the Fan Cave people get paid for doing this?

Just saw one of the 2011 fan cave guys on Law & Order: SVU! He played a prison guard. Mike O'Hara was the guy's name. I knew I recognized the guy!

Blog Entries
    The Fan Cave isn't a prize, it's a sentence. Please. Fifteen games at a time? How about two games and at least one (1) girl, then call it The Man Cave.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wallace View Post
    The Fan Cave isn't a prize, it's a sentence. Please. Fifteen games at a time? How about two games and at least one (1) girl, then call it The Man Cave.
    Hahahahahahaha, yes!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    Hahahahahahaha, yes!

Hey, Bluesky5--spoken like a true Phillies fan! I should know--I was born and raised in Philly. Glad I could bring you a laugh. Hopefully, the Phils won't do that this season. Meanwhile take a look at this very brief capsule comment re Phils from my current hometown paper, the NYTimes:

"The Phillies added two players with the last name Young, yet age stalks the roster. As long as they have three ace starters, they have a chance. But the steady erosion of their lineup is a real problem, and declining newcomers like the Youngs, Delmon and Michael, might not offer much help."

Is this a show of some kind?
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

It always seemed that The Fan Cave would be more popular with gamblers than regular fans. Who else but gamblers would find it entertaining to watch that many games at once? For regular fans, TFC would be a novelty tourist attraction and then shared in their photos. TFC will never be filled with regular fans, IMO. Honestly, this view would apply to any sport and not just baseball.

But then again, I am not a guy who would frequent bars nor drink much at ballgames.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill.

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wallace View Post
    Hey, Bluesky5--spoken like a true Phillies fan! I should know--I was born and raised in Philly. Glad I could bring you a laugh. Hopefully, the Phils won't do that this season. Meanwhile take a look at this very brief capsule comment re Phils from my current hometown paper, the NYTimes:

"The Phillies added two players with the last name Young, yet age stalks the roster. As long as they have three ace starters, they have a chance. But the steady erosion of their lineup is a real problem, and declining newcomers like the Youngs, Delmon and Michael, might not offer much help."
    Delmon Young has already surpassed Pat Burrell as my least favorite Phillie since I watched the Phillies - 1993. Actually Adam Eaton is my least favorite. Closely followed by Vicente Padilla then Young then Pat.

I'm not a big fan of the Fan Cave but I'm not completely sure what it's supposed to be. In fact, I originally thought it was some kind of MLB team store and when I was in the area I tried to go in, only to find the door locked and then see a sign saying something to the effect that it was a working TV studio!

Incidentally, you might like to know that Tower Records used to occupy the space where the Fan Cave is now. For a long, long time after Tower closed, the space sat empty, except for one Christmas where it was a Toys R Us pop-up store, and a couple of other short-term usages.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Blog Entries
    "Thank you for calling the Miami Marlins ticket office, how may I be of service?"
    "Yes, uh, I'm looking to buy a pair of tickets for Opening Day, and I was wondering what time the game starts."
    "What time can you get here?"

If that funny Marlins dialog above is yours, Gary, I give you credit. Very cool. Thanks for the laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the Fan Cave but I'm not completely sure what it's supposed to be. In fact, I originally thought it was some kind of MLB team store and when I was in the area I tried to go in, only to find the door locked and then see a sign saying something to the effect that it was a working TV studio!

Incidentally, you might like to know that Tower Records used to occupy the space where the Fan Cave is now. For a long, long time after Tower closed, the space sat empty, except for one Christmas where it was a Toys R Us pop-up store, and a couple of other short-term usages.
    It's MLB's attempt to get younger fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    Is this a show of some kind?
    They used to show clips from the fan cave on This Week In Baseball but since the latter no longer exists, I don't know what they do with it now.

Off the Bat From the MLB Fan Cave