Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Video on the Field to Teach

Quote Originally Posted by pthawaii View Post
    Yes. It works fine for my son, but he's only in Little League so his bat speed isn't too fast for an iPad and this app. Works great for him and he's friends. Give it a go if you're looking for free.
    Thanks! I'm gonna check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by djmas View Post
    can someone recommend a good camera with a decent frame rate at a good price?
    Like MudV, I use a Sanyo Xacti, as it's one of the few entry-level camcorders that records at 60FPS. And, because it saves in .mp4, you can replay it with Quicktime frame-by-frame. Not sure what the latest model is. Also, even the under-$200 models will go up to 1920x1600 pixel (i.e., HD) resolution. I got mine about three years ago so I'm not sure what's out there now, but I'd start there.
    It's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

ursa... would you go with a camcorder or a point and shoot camera?

ursa... would you go with a camcorder or a point and shoot camera?
    While not Ursa, I'd just put it this way.....it all depends on what you're looking for.

Now while I'm not exactly sure what you're asking when you say "point and shoot camera", but I interpret that as a standard, single shot, digital camera; that even in the "continuous" mode, only shoots about 3 frames per second (fps).....when even the cheapest "camcorders" (video cameras) are shooting 30fps.

So you're basically losing 27fps, which means you're losing the opportunity to see the player's movements in a more detailed view. This is why many have opted to shoot at 60fps, to get even better looks between body movements of a player, when looking at a clip frame-by-frame......even though while viewing both rates (30 and 60) at regular speed, there will be very little observable difference.

Hope that makes sense, or what you were asking.
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Camcorder, plain and simple. I record everything, and then I can go back and watch anything, any moment I want.

You can buy an app for your iPad called Coache's Eye. It allows you to go frame by frame and even edit the video with verbal comments and telestrator type comments (write lines on the video). It is a great tool for instant feedback at the cages or fields.

Quote Originally Posted by mudvnine View Post
    While not Ursa, I'd just put it this way.....it all depends on what you're looking for.

Now while I'm not exactly sure what you're asking when you say "point and shoot camera", but I interpret that as a standard, single shot, digital camera; that even in the "continuous" mode, only shoots about 3 frames per second (fps).....when even the cheapest "camcorders" (video cameras) are shooting 30fps.
    All small "point and shoot" digital cameras nowadays have a mode for capturing video. Even most of the SLRs have video capability, though they aren't naturally configured well for it.

Here's an example of a typical "point and shoot" -- a $75 Canon A2300IS: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...digital+camera

It shoots 30 fps in 640x480 ("VGA") and 25 fps in 720p ("HD").

Quote Originally Posted by bbrages View Post
    All small "point and shoot" digital cameras nowadays have a mode for capturing video. Even most of the SLRs have video capability, though they aren't naturally configured well for it.

Here's an example of a typical "point and shoot" -- a $75 Canon A2300IS: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho...digital+camera

It shoots 30 fps in 640x480 ("VGA") and 25 fps in 720p ("HD").
    Cool, thanks for the info....didn't realize some of those little cameras had that capability.

Knew that some of the SLRs shoot some very high fps video, which with the interchangeable lens capability makes for some excellent options....however, that all comes at quite a hefty price that I can't convince myself I really need at the moment, but they sure are nice.
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

I have this one and it works great.... 12.5X optical zoom, 12.1MP, 24-300mm, and capable up to 1000fps although you won't need that much. Great camera for the money. Get em for less than 300 bucks too.

http://exilim.casio.com/digital_came...specifications

Quote Originally Posted by mr. potato head View Post
    I have this one and it works great.... 12.5X optical zoom, 12.1MP, 24-300mm, and capable up to 1000fps although you won't need that much. Great camera for the money. Get em for less than 300 bucks too.

http://exilim.casio.com/digital_came...specifications

can't find it that cheap anywhere

can't find it that cheap anywhere
    It's $299 thru Mr. Potato Heads link.
    Just a baseball layman trying to make sense of it all...

Quote Originally Posted by trademark View Post
    It's $299 thru Mr. Potato Heads link.
    not for sale anywhere for that price when I click the link ... not sure if you were being serious :P
    Last edited by djmas; 01-26-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Watch Ebay.... Good deals on "lightly used" can be found there.

Just wondering if anyone would see value in the following. A monitor/ large screen, positioned on opposite side of plate -- protected by a net. A recording device which records a couple of seconds worth of video -- and plays that 2 seconds in a loop. As soon as batter swings he glances up and gets "instant" visual feedback. Then he swings again and the video of just that particular swing pops up on the monitor and plays once or twice -- or twenty.
    When we use video, we wind up with several good swings and several not so good. later, when we take a look, it is difficult to remember the feel of the swing -- or -- if batter tried something a little different on one particular swing, it's hard to recall what he did exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by steddie View Post
    Just wondering if anyone would see value in the following. A monitor/ large screen, positioned on opposite side of plate -- protected by a net. A recording device which records a couple of seconds worth of video -- and plays that 2 seconds in a loop. As soon as batter swings he glances up and gets "instant" visual feedback. Then he swings again and the video of just that particular swing pops up on the monitor and plays once or twice -- or twenty.
    When we use video, we wind up with several good swings and several not so good. later, when we take a look, it is difficult to remember the feel of the swing -- or -- if batter tried something a little different on one particular swing, it's hard to recall what he did exactly...
    I like the idea. If you can organize it then it sounds like a winner. Might have trouble seeing the screen with the sunlight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12