Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243
Results 1,051 to 1,070 of 1070

Thread: Why don't we ever see Hank Aaron listed #1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
    Thank you! I love it! Even as someone who is 37 years old and studies baseball history, I didn't know that!

I tried to YouTube that but nothing came up. Don't worry though, I'm old enough to know that does mean it didn't happen!

Do you have any memories of that? Were you listening to that on radio? Who was it off?

There's a color version of this film but I couldn't find it. I think aches knows where to find it on the Internet , though.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

There really is something to that country "bumpkin" thing.

Aaron had it like Musial had it. Mantle had a bit of it, but NY brought it right outta him and then some.

Sometimes a personality like Gehrig's would work better in a smaller market. Sometimes, maybe a Hank Aaron might loosen up and enjoy the bright lights of NYC if given the opportunity. He certainly didn't disappear into hiding after he retired. He understood what he meant to the game and I've always respected that.
    I really liked how Arron handled Barry Bonds passing his 755 home runs. I don't know what Aaron's personal feelings were about Bonds using PED's to pass his record (probably didn't like it) but Aaron knew if he showed up to watch Bonds break his record the press' very first question would be about Bonds' PED use. No doubt Aaron didn't want to deal with all that nonsense. So he made the video instead. IMO it was Aaron's way of saying, "Ok, Bonds passed me but we all know how he did it but I'm not going to be a jerk about it." Aaron looked so bored and uninterested in that video by the way. Back in 2002 they made a hilarious Super Bowl video.

Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    There's a color version of this film but I couldn't find it.
    The ESPN Sportscentury program on Aaron has it in color.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

“On an historically great pitching staff, when healthy and starting, he was, actually, The Man.” - Peter Gammons on Hall Of Famer John Smoltz

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
    Musial was not a better baserunner and it is debatable if he was better defensively.
    But Stan was better in many areas, so why shouldn't he in the same conversation as Aaron as a possible #1.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by four tool View Post
    But Stan was better in many areas, so why shouldn't he in the same conversation as Aaron as a possible #1.
    Neither player is in the conversation for #1.
    Most Underrated:Al Simmons, Keith Hernandez, Carlos Beltran
    Most Overrated: Kirby Puckett, Catfish Hunter, Jack Morris
    Most Overrated for being "Underrated": Bobby Grich, Gene Tenace, Alan Trammell
    Most Underrated for being "Overrated": Roberto Clemente, Derek Jeter, Cal Ripken Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Yeah, it is a little hard for Stan and Henry to get serious #1 talk when they were behind contemporary Willie Mays.
    "Statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything." Toby Harrah

"We have a lot of pitchers capable of stopping our win streak." Bruce Hurst

"I'll tell you how smart Pete Rose is. When they had the blackout in New York, he was stranded thirteen hours on an escalator." Joe Nuxhall

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    Yeah, it is a little hard for Stan and Henry to get serious #1 talk when they were behind contemporary Willie Mays.
    Not to mention being nowhere near Babe Ruth.
    Most Underrated:Al Simmons, Keith Hernandez, Carlos Beltran
    Most Overrated: Kirby Puckett, Catfish Hunter, Jack Morris
    Most Overrated for being "Underrated": Bobby Grich, Gene Tenace, Alan Trammell
    Most Underrated for being "Overrated": Roberto Clemente, Derek Jeter, Cal Ripken Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    There's a color version of this film but I couldn't find it. I think aches knows where to find it on the Internet , though.
    Here you go. He hit it off Billy Muffet,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VCqDCXrqmQ

And no, I wasn't listening and don't recall it, I was seven years old at the time. My first exposure to baseball was the next year (1958) when my dad took me to a Cubs/Cardinals game at Wrigley Field, and I was hooked.
    Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 02-25-2015 at 06:01 AM.
    “You talk about my fastball?” he asks. “Aaron could hit God’s fastball.” - Bob Gibson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by four tool View Post
    I think you can go as high as 3rd for Aaron (I am not putting him ahead of Ruth or Mays) and maybe as high as 6th for Musial. So, I guess that is the "same conversation." Aaron was about the same as a hitter and was a better baserunner a better fielder (not saying Stan was poor at either) and played in a better LQ era. Hank was just a half-step above Musial. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Blog Entries
    Wow 3-8, so at the highest over either Cobb, Wagner or Mays, and at the lowest, down by Mantle, Williams, Schalk (jk).
    Ruth and Mays at 1-2. Not moving Aaron above them. Then I can see cases for Cobb, Aaron, Wagner, Williams, and Bonds in any order from 3-7.

So anywhere from 3-7, actually.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
    Ruth and Mays at 1-2. Not moving Aaron above them. Then I can see cases for Cobb, Aaron, Wagner, Williams, and Bonds in any order from 3-7.

So anywhere from 3-7, actually.
    I have him higher than most here, at 4th. I can see people putting Williams, Wagner, & Bonds (with no PED discount) ahead of him but really nobody else.

I do think it's close between Aaron, Williams, & Wagner, and many people put Aaron behind both of them.
    Two clear advantages put Aaron just ahead of both IMO-
    1. In terms of counting stats he has more career value than anyone in history.
    2. He has a significant LQ advantage over both Williams & Wagner, especially Wagner.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Here you go. He hit it off Billy Muffet,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VCqDCXrqmQ

And no, I wasn't listening and don't recall it, I was seven years old at the time. My first exposure to baseball was the next year (1958) when my dad took me to a Cubs/Cardinals game at Wrigley Field, and I was hooked.
    Thanks aches!

Randy, here is the Aaron pennant winning home run in color.

Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 02-25-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Here's an interesting article about Aaron from 1957. His greatness was clearly evident by this time.

1957-06-26 TSN pg 7.jpg

Blog Entries
    I noted "he moves about as fast as he has to" and "lethargic" which should at least dispel any doubts that he did have that reputation, or one person on earth thought that at a minimum. I was not alive then but upthread or in another one the topic was mentioned and raised some verbal eyebrows.

Otherwise it seems that he was regarded as an immense natural talent.

What is also odd is that Aaron was fined by Ford Frick for starting spring training too early.

That's the same photo that Topps used for his first three cards.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

“On an historically great pitching staff, when healthy and starting, he was, actually, The Man.” - Peter Gammons on Hall Of Famer John Smoltz

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    I noted "he moves about as fast as he has to" and "lethargic" which should at least dispel any doubts that he did have that reputation, or one person on earth thought that at a minimum. I was not alive then but upthread or in another one the topic was mentioned and raised some verbal eyebrows.

Otherwise it seems that he was regarded as an immense natural talent.
    Someone once remarked he fell asleep between pitches

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    And what is the title of this thread again?

Blog Entries
    Hank was just a great all around player, no flash, no flair just had a great carreer and didn't draw attention to himself. Let his bat do the talking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBodet View Post
    It's always Ruth or Mays or Bonds or Cobb put up as best ever-and I'd say Babe too-but it seems Hank doesn't get the love. Why is that? Did so much so well for so long-it's like he's an afterthought.
    Hank was just a great all around player, no flash, no flair just had a great carreer and didn't draw attention to himself. Let his bat do the talking

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243