Thread: Jair Jurrgens

Jair Jurrgens

The Orioles have signed free agent right-hander Jair Jurrjens, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. The one-year contract includes a $1.5 million base salary with another $2.5 million in incentives. (Source: CBS Sports)

Do you think Jurrjens will get into the starting rotation or start out as a LRP? With Saunders out of the way it is a good possibility. However, he has Hammel, Chen, Tillman, Gonzalez, Johnson, Arrieta, Britton, and maybe even Matusz to content with. What are your thoughts about this acquisition for the pitching staff?

Jurrjens looks broken.

He went from striking out 17% of hitters in 2008-2010 to 14% in 2011 to 8% in 2012.
    *source

His average fastball velocity in 2008-2010 was around 91.4 MPH
    2012 it was 88. His fastest 2012 fastball was 91.8 MPH
    *source

I wouldn't expect anything from him.
    Last edited by filihok; 01-27-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Jurrjens looks broken.

He went from striking out 17% of hitters in 2008-2010 to 14% in 2011 to 8% in 2012.
    *source

His average fastball velocity in 2008-2010 was around 91.4 MPH
    2012 it was 88. His fastest 2012 fastball was 91.8 MPH
    *source

I wouldn't expect anything from him.
    he is still only 27. what was the reason for his loss of velocity? is he injured? or became lazy? maybe his velocity could bounce back?
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

He had a knee or leg problem his last couple of years with the Braves, once sprained his ankle bad enough that he missed time.

If it was all healed last year while he was in Triple A, he didn't show it at all.

I bet Jurrjens is just a long reliever in Baltimore. There's no way he cracks a rotation that crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    He had a knee or leg problem his last couple of years with the Braves, once sprained his ankle bad enough that he missed time.

If it was all healed last year while he was in Triple A, he didn't show it at all.

I bet Jurrjens is just a long reliever in Baltimore. There's no way he cracks a rotation that crowded.
    I have a feeling Saunders is going somewhere else. I think he might have a crack at a SP slot but would like to see him start out as a LRP or a SU.

I wish he wouldn't have fallen off so hard, he was a good one.
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

I've seen him pitch against the Mets.

1. I expected him to end up with the Royals, where ex-Braves usually go.
    2. If healthy, he could be a good addition to a team's rotation.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

So far this spring, Jurrgens has been clocked at 93 mph according to Roch Kubatko. He's averaging 89-90 on his fastball.

No guarantee for this guy; with the level of competition for the #5 job, he'll have to show he can be an above replacement-level starting pitcher. That's the good news.