Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1903 All Star Thread

1903 All Star Thread

Teams should vote for a starting team from their respective League. One starter per position, and one second place vote. Pitchers will be voted on as top 5 starters and 2 relievers. Top vote getters per position will be starters, and the top 5 remaining vote getters will be reserves. Top 3 starting pitchers and top 2 relievers will make the team. The all-star break will be after the this sim so start working on your ballots.
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

American league Infielders (minimum 20 games played per position)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

American League OF, DH, and Fielding leaders

AL Pitchers

National League Infielders (minimum 20 games played per position)

National League OF, DH, and Fielding Leaders

NL Pitchers

Catcher
    John Warner, Anaheim - Great offensive numbers barely balances out his inability to throw our baserunners.
    Pat Moran, Kalamazoo - Great arm behind the plate gives him the edge over Kling

First Base
    Jake Beckley, Kalamazoo -Very Good season for the Kumquat first bagger as usual
    Fred Tenney, New Orleans - Jus a step below Beckley. Edges out Anderson

Second Base
    Kid Gleason, Kalamazoo - Very good offensive numbers and no slouch with the glove
    Wid Conroy, Laquey - One of the few bright spots on this Sharks squad

Third Base
    Harry Steinfeldt, Kalamazoo - Early MVP candidate. Had a huge 1st half
    Jimmy Collins, Seattle - Solid all around season and a great glove at the hot corner.

Shortstop
    Honus Wagner, Kalamazoo - Another early MVP candidate. Worth the price they paid for him so far
    Joe Tinker, Cleveland - Flashy glove at short along with a solid if unspectacular bat is a sign of things to come.

Left Field
    Sam Crawford, Seattle - Had one of the greatest months ever in May. Easy choice here
    Ginger Beaumont, Laquey - Tough choice here but his outfield play (11 assists) won him this spot

Center Field
    Cy Seymour, Kalamazoo - Heads and ttails above the other centerfielders in the AL this year.
    Fielder Jones, Laquey - Decent offensive numbers but a great glove gives him my #2 spot

Right Field
    Mike Donlin, Kalamazoo - Another incredible offensive season for a Kumquat player
    Ducky Holmes, Anaheim - Another reason the Angels have improved vastly this season

DH
    Jimmy Sebring, Seattle - Deserves a spot on this team as a starter rather than a backup so here he is
    Joe Kelley, New Orleand - Fine offensive numbers for the Barons

Starting Pitcher
    Christy Mathewson, Cleveland - Leads league in wins, Strikeouts, ERA, and innings
    George Mullin, Kalamazoo -Leader in wins, and winning percentage while 2nd in era
    Clark Griffith, Seattle - Leader in wins and 2nd in winning percentage. 3rd in era
    Doc White, Kalamazoo - leader in wins and 2nd in winning percentage
    Ed Seaver, Seattle - !2 wins against only 4 losses

Relief Pitchers
    Jock Menefee, Seattle - 26 saves and a 2.04era
    Bill Phillips, Kalamazoo - 20 saves and a 1.46era
    Last edited by rmadachik; 01-29-2013 at 10:03 PM.

--Didn't find much to quibble with on Rich's ballot. Just a few backups different
    C: Warner, Kling
    1B: Beckley, Tenney
    2B: Gleason, Williams
    3B: Steinfeldt, Collins
    SS: Wagner, Tinker
    LF: Crawford, Beaaumont
    CF: Seymour, Holmes
    RF: Donlin, Holmes
    DH: Debring, Kelley
    SP; Mathewson, Mullin, Griffith, White, Seiver
    RP: Menefee, Phillips

2B: Gleason, Conroy
    LF: Crawford, Beaumont
    CF: Seymour, Cooley
    RF: Donlin, Sebring
    DH: Holmes, Kelley
    SP; Mathewson, Mullin, Griffith, White, Siever
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

2B: Gleason, Conroy
    LF: Crawford, Beaumont
    RF: Donlin, Sebring
    CF: Seymour, Holmes
    DH: Debring, Kelley
    SP: Mathewson, Mullin, Griffith, White, Seiver

C: Dexter, Criger
    1B: Chance, Hickman
    2B: Lajoie, Murphy
    3B: Wolverton, Bradley
    SS: Dahlen, Courtney
    LF: Sheckard, Hartsel
    CF: Barrett, Thomas
    RF: Burkett, Pickering
    DH: Clarke, Mertes
    SP: Young, Donovan, McFarland, Powell, Sudhoff
    RP: Ames, Wolfe
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Well, I didn't read the instructions well enough. Had the whole team done using both leagues, then went back and redid it. The NL looks a lot stronger this year.... Ballot identical to Dan's for the position players, but I don't think Dan likes the Express pitchers very much....

Catcher
    1. Charlie Dexter, Pioneers – Best of a pretty weak group in the AL behind the plate.
    2. Lou Criger, Bums – Second best of a very weak position for the AL.

First Base
    1. Frank Chance, Tigers – Stands head and shoulders above the other first basemen in the AL.
    2. Charlie Hickman, Rams – Best of the rest. That’s not saying a lot.

Second Base
    1. Nap Lajoie, Inmates – Huge drop off from last year, but still the best in the AL at this position.
    2. Danny Murphy, Rams

Third Base
    1. Harry Wolverton, Express – Clearly the best third baseman for the AL so far this season.
    2. Bill Bradley, Pioneers – A true coin flip between Bradley and Strang. I went with Bradley; anyone taking Strang would get no argument from me.

Shortstop
    1. Bill Dahlen, Tigers – No contest. Courtney close in batting but Dahlen is clearly the better fielder and has played a lot more.
    2. Ernie Courtney, Express – Too bad he’s out for the season with an injury (usage). With 121 point edge in OPS over the next man, and a better glove, I still went with him.

Left Field
    1. Jimmy Sheckard, Express – Went with him due to more playing time and better range than either Hartsel or Clarke. Also leads all LFers in runs and stolen bases. Yeah, also a homer vote.
    2. Topsy Hartsel, Rams – Barely edges out Clarke.

Center Field
    1. Jimmy Barrett, Bums – Having a fine season at the Point.
    2. Roy Thomas, Inmates – Nice year for him as well.

Right Field
    1. Jesse Burkett, Rams – A no brainer pick. 200 points in OPS over the next best man leaves no room for argument.
    2. Ollie Pickering, Bums – Second best, but a loooong way behind Burkett with the bat.

Designated Hitter
    1. Fred Clarke, Tigers – Makes up for leaving off of the left field picks. Deserves a spot.
    2. Sam Metes, Bums – Edges out Bresnahan for the final spot on my ballot.

Starting Pitchers
    1. Bill Donovan, Inmates – Leads the AL in wins and ERA, second in WHIP, fourth in IP. Easy pick.
    2. Jake Weimer, Express – Rookie hurler is keeping the Express in the AL race.
    3. Cy Young, Tigers – Keeps rolling along. Another fine season on the hill.
    4. Red Donahue, Express – Having a better than expected year, and I’m very grateful.
    5. Chappie McFarland, Inmates

Relievers
    1. Ed Poole, Bums
    2. Ed Doheny, Pioneers
    Last edited by catcher24; 02-02-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

I wonder if there will ever be a team again that manages to take every starting infield position on the All Star team. Well done, Jack. BTW, I had Moran as my starting catcher when I made out the ballot using both leagues.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

kind of a weak turnout for the allstar selection. I will let it ride til the end of today so last minute ballots are still accepted

I wonder if maybe it's not worth it to have the ASG in future seasons. I know for me, in 1901 I enjoyed it, but now I don't really care.

Okay guys - Due to lack of interest and how long the allstar break is taking - I have the lineups set and will play the game today. Regular season will resume tomorrow so any lineup changes need to be in by noon EST tomorrow.

AL AllStars

C - Dexter, Pioneers
    1B - Chance, Tigers
    2B - Lajoie, Inmates'
    3B - Wolverton, Express
    SS - Dahlen, Tigers
    LF - Sheckard, Express
    CF - Barrett, Bums
    RF - Burkett, Rams
    DH - Clarke, Tigers

Bench
    Criger, Bums
    Hartsel, Rams
    Mertes, Bums
    Thomas, Inmates
    Bradley, Pioneers

Pitchers - (Since there was no consensus on relievers went with 6 starters)

Donovan, Inmates
    Young, Tigers
    McFarland, Inmates
    Weimer, Express
    Donahue, Express
    Powell, Bums

NL AllStars

C - Warner, Angels
    1B - Beckley, Kumquats
    2B - Gleason, Kumquats
    3B - Steinfeldt, Kumquats
    SS - Wagner, Kumquats
    LF - Crawford, Dragons
    CF Seymour, Kumquats
    RF - Donlin, Kumquats
    DH - Sebring, Dragons

Bench
    Kling, Barons
    Holmes, Angels
    Kelley, Barons
    Beaumont, Sharks
    Tinker, Indians

Pitchers
    Mathewson, Indians
    Mullin, Kumquats
    Griffith, Dragons
    White, Kumquats
    Menefee, Dragons
    Phillips, Kumquats

So what we have is the Kumquats/Dragons squad and a couple extra players against the AL All Stars!

The NL came back from a 4-1 defecit when Joe Tinker tripled home 2 runs in the 7th and came home for the winning run to give the NL a 5-4 win and earn MVP honors.

Sorry to see that the Express's Jake Weimer gave up the four run rally. I hope he got it out of his system in the all star game though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast