Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st day of the 2013 HS season for us.

1st day of the 2013 HS season for us.

Well, today’s the big day for us. The 1st day of tryouts which in essence means the 1st day of team practice. Believe it or not, this is one of my favorite parts of the season because there’s so much that’s not known. Usually about a third of the team will be new, so I get the chance to see a lot of new HSV careers start. I’ll have to learn new faces and new parents, along with new numbers for old players and getting used to old numbers on new players. Its all pretty exciting.
    The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

Just talked to the “boss” and he says there will be an intrasquad game starting about 4:15 this afternoon. That pretty much tells me for all intents and purposes the V has already been chosen, but that its still possible for one of the underclassmen not already on the V to get there.

Since we lost Fr sports, its really made a big difference in the number of players on the V. Out HC tries very hard to give as many players as possible, the chance to work with the team if not play in games.

Do many of you find that the “try-outs” are more like what we experience than an actual try-out where players are literally competing for spots based on their performance at the try-out?
    The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

Son is a freshman this year, Varsity roster set as of last week (he made the varsity roster) . Frosh/Soph and JV are still to be determined after tryouts.

Not sure about your schools, I think the "try-out" in our school is just a matter of formality. Unless a real stud coming out from nowhere all the sudden, everyone pretty much have an idea if they make the team.

Quote Originally Posted by lancers View Post
    Not sure about your schools, I think the "try-out" in our school is just a matter of formality. Unless a real stud coming out from nowhere all the sudden, everyone pretty much have an idea if they make the team.
    That’s what I was trying to say but said so poorly.

I think the “try-outs” at the Fr and JV level really are try-outs in the old fashioned sense of the word, but if most VHC coaches are like our coach, and I think they are, they suck every bit of talent they think would be useful at the V level out of the lower level team by the end of fall ball. Now a VHC who’s new to the program, or a new school is something different, but most of those guys know what talent’s in their program and don’t need to have an old school “try-out” to find it.

My boy’s a pitching coach on the JV team and they’ve got a much different problem. I’ve heard they’re going to have more than 60 boys coming out tonight they’ll break them down into 2 squads that will get time on the field for the next 5 days, then be whittled down to around 30 boys like they did last season.

Quote Originally Posted by scorekeeper View Post
    That’s what I was trying to say but said so poorly.

I think the “try-outs” at the Fr and JV level really are try-outs in the old fashioned sense of the word, but if most VHC coaches are like our coach, and I think they are, they suck every bit of talent they think would be useful at the V level out of the lower level team by the end of fall ball. Now a VHC who’s new to the program, or a new school is something different, but most of those guys know what talent’s in their program and don’t need to have an old school “try-out” to find it.

My boy’s a pitching coach on the JV team and they’ve got a much different problem. I’ve heard they’re going to have more than 60 boys coming out tonight they’ll break them down into 2 squads that will get time on the field for the next 5 days, then be whittled down to around 30 boys like they did last season.
    l

There were a few boys that played V during fall ball that were moved back down to JV if they were sophomores. One player was a PO and a junior, he was cut from the program.

SK,

Good luck this year. Varsity tryouts are usually just a formality. Players have been in the program for 2 or 3 years now and we know them. It is more about who will start although we already have a pretty good idea. Frosh cuts were made on Friday and Soph cuts will be made this Friday and Varsity will be finalized by next Friday.

Just talked to the “boss” and he says there will be an intrasquad game starting about 4:15 this afternoon. That pretty much tells me for all intents and purposes the V has already been chosen, but that its still possible for one of the underclassmen not already on the V to get there.

Since we lost Fr sports, its really made a big difference in the number of players on the V. Out HC tries very hard to give as many players as possible, the chance to work with the team if not play in games.

Do many of you find that the “try-outs” are more like what we experience than an actual try-out where players are literally competing for spots based on their performance at the try-out?
    Good luck to you and everybody else. I like that the coach is going "intra squad" (probably some sort of modified coach pitch, hopefully). I don't see it as him already knowing what the team is (although often the case) but it's a very good way to evaluate. Sounds like the weather is good. Some schools couldn't do this (nothing to do with weather) because they have to go through formal tryout "procedures".

Quote Originally Posted by omg View Post
    Good luck to you and everybody else. I like that the coach is going "intra squad" (probably some sort of modified coach pitch, hopefully). I don't see it as him already knowing what the team is (although often the case) but it's a very good way to evaluate. Sounds like the weather is good. Some schools couldn't do this (nothing to do with weather) because they have to go through formal tryout "procedures".
    Thanx for the good wishes, and right back atcha.

I sure don’t want to throw up our great weather in anyone’s face, but it was sure spectacular sitting in shirtsleeves and watching some HS players on the field, performing and having fun! I hope everyone has the same experience very soon.

Well it looks like our JV coach is gonna be yankin’ out hair by the handfuls again this year. 4 dozen players were on his “I wanna try” roster. The V is also gonna cause some trouble this year because there are so many Sophs out there. They all played summer and fall ball together, so there’s no doubt they can handle the level of competition, but there’s really no room.

We’ll likely send 1 catcher back, 2 pitchers, and at least 2 fielder/hitters. It great to know how strong that makes the V, but it doesn’t bode well for those JV guys beatin’ out each other’s brains right now, knowing that for sure 3 positions will be filled by players they aren’t even competing against.

The game was fun to watch, and for most of the guys it was like no time at all has passed since they last played. It was fun for me too, because I was there with the computer trying to get my mind back into scoring mode. I had to leave in the top of the 5th, but up to that point all of the pitchers had thrown an inning, and none of them but 1 started a game last season, so our pitching corps will really be very young this year.

But all in all, everyone was happy. The coach loves pitchers who throw strikes and force batters to swing, and that’s what was going on. He also likes batters who put the bat on the ball solidly when they do swing, and that was going on as well. That sends mixed messages, but at least it shows the boys are heading in the right direction.

Me. I had a smile on my face the whole 22 mile ride home! Welcome back Baseball Season!

I sure don’t want to throw up our great weather in anyone’s face, but it was sure spectacular sitting in shirtsleeves and watching some HS players on the field, performing and having fun! I hope everyone has the same experience very soon.

Well it looks like our JV coach is gonna be yankin’ out hair by the handfuls again this year. 4 dozen players were on his “I wanna try” roster. The V is also gonna cause some trouble this year because there are so many Sophs out there. They all played summer and fall ball together, so there’s no doubt they can handle the level of competition, but there’s really no room.

We’ll likely send 1 catcher back, 2 pitchers, and at least 2 fielder/hitters. It great to know how strong that makes the V, but it doesn’t bode well for those JV guys beatin’ out each other’s brains right now, knowing that for sure 3 positions will be filled by players they aren’t even competing against.

The game was fun to watch, and for most of the guys it was like no time at all has passed since they last played. It was fun for me too, because I was there with the computer trying to get my mind back into scoring mode. I had to leave in the top of the 5th, but up to that point all of the pitchers had thrown an inning, and none of them but 1 started a game last season, so our pitching corps will really be very young this year.

But all in all, everyone was happy. The coach loves pitchers who throw strikes and force batters to swing, and that’s what was going on. He also likes batters who put the bat on the ball solidly when they do swing, and that was going on as well. That sends mixed messages, but at least it shows the boys are heading in the right direction.

Me. I had a smile on my face the whole 22 mile ride home! Welcome back Baseball Season!
    I can't believe they cut Frosh sports at your school. It's a pretty big school and in a power house league. We maintained our frosh sports for now. Are you guys going to be strong this year?

As we took the field for the first day, I'm the infield and hitting coach, I realized that my starting infield is going to be big. 3B is 6'5", SS is 6'4", 2B is 6'2" and 1B is 6'4". If we don't play baseball very good, we can always turn to basketball.

All of us in CA gotta be lovin the weather here. Actually feel bad for those that haven't started or are just getting started.

Quote Originally Posted by Standballdad View Post
    Son is a freshman this year, Varsity roster set as of last week (he made the varsity roster) . Frosh/Soph and JV are still to be determined after tryouts.
    My son is a Freshman too. I'm curious what route your son took from say a year ago. Was he already on the coaches radar before entering HS? Did he practice or play with Frosh at all, summer or fall? From what I've learned going straight to Varsity, especially in SoCal is pretty rare so congrats! My son isn't aware of any Freshman at his school who has a shot at V or even JV.

I don't know if he was on this coaches radar, other coaches at nearby HS's knew of him. He started out on Frosh baseball this summer like everyone else. When summer league started after he played his first summer game (morning) V HC asked him to come play in JV game (noon). After JV game he was asked to play on V game the following week. He played both JV and V games through the summer and half way through Fall ball then only V. Once he got the chance to play V he became very serious with his workouts. His TB team had planned to go to AZ for JO's but he decided he wanted to stay and continue to play HS summer ball instead. I think this actually paid off for him but he did miss out on the AZ trip with his friends. He will go to AZ this year.

I don't know if he was on this coaches radar, other coaches at nearby HS's knew of him. He started out on Frosh baseball this summer like everyone else. When summer league started after he played his first summer game (morning) V HC asked him to come play in JV game (noon). After JV game he was asked to play on V game the following week. He played both JV and V games through the summer and half way through Fall ball then only V. Once he got the chance to play V he became very serious with his workouts. His TB team had planned to go to AZ for JO's but he decided he wanted to stay and continue to play HS summer ball instead. I think this actually paid off for him but he did miss out on the AZ trip with his friends. He will go to AZ this year.
    It's pretty hard here for Frosh or Soph to get on varsity. In the past 3 years there were only 2 freshman did that and both have already got college offers when they were soph.

Quote Originally Posted by lancers View Post
    It's pretty hard here for Frosh or Soph to get on varsity. In the past 3 years there were only 2 freshman did that and both have already got college offers when they were soph.
    Yes he is the only frosh on varsity, and he knows he is very fortunate. He works very hard and the older team mates have embraced him. Playing college is his goal, but its a long road still and anything can happen.

Yes he is the only frosh on varsity, and he knows he is very fortunate. He works very hard and the older team mates have embraced him. Playing college is his goal, but its a long road still and anything can happen.
    Congrats to your son Stand, that's a fine accomplishment, and as lancers said, not something that happens very often.

You should be a very proud papa....as I'm sure you are.
    Last edited by mudvnine; 02-05-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Oops, username changed to protect the innocent.... :D
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by HYP View Post
    I can't believe they cut Frosh sports at your school. It's a pretty big school and in a power house league. We maintained our frosh sports for now. Are you guys going to be strong this year?
    The thing to remember is, it wasn’t just our school, it was Elk Grove Unified. We have 8 HSs, 9 MSs, and 40 elementary schools that the money has to cover. It was a really difficult choice, and for a while there was talk of only whacking certain “weaker” sports, baseball being among them. Luckily there was almost a uprising, so the final decision was to whack them all and let the chips fall where they may.

I think we’ll be strong, and if our pitching which is very young and inexperienced blossoms, it could be a very exciting season.

As we took the field for the first day, I'm the infield and hitting coach, I realized that my starting infield is going to be big. 3B is 6'5", SS is 6'4", 2B is 6'2" and 1B is 6'4". If we don't play baseball very good, we can always turn to basketball.
    LOL! Yeah, they’re getting’ bigger and bigger all the time, aren’t they. We only have a few “sides of beef”, but for our coach that’s fine. He loves to let the runners go crazy, and we’ve definitely got more than our share of speed.

Unfortunately, I've seen the "freshman phenom" taken a little too seriously in recent years at our school. Had a couple freshies put on the V team due to their incoming hype, who I don't really feel should have been there.

IMO, unless you have a freshie who's going to be a starter, or get the lion's share of the innings at a particular position, you're just wasting a year of his talents that could be better used at a lower level....not to mention, letting him get adequate playing time (ie. experience) in the HS environment.

Hate to see a senior cut, or a junior demoted to the JV team, simply because of a "reputation" that hasn't proven itself at the HS level.

JMO obviously, I'm sure others MMV.....

Quote Originally Posted by mudvnine View Post
    Unfortunately, I've seen the "freshman phenom" taken a little too seriously in recent years at our school. Had a couple freshies put on the V team due to their incoming hype, who I don't really feel should have been there.

IMO, unless you have a freshie who's going to be a starter, or get the lion's share of the innings at a particular position, you're just wasting a year of his talents that could be better used at a lower level....not to mention, letting him get adequate playing time (ie. experience) in the HS environment.

Hate to see a senior cut, or a junior demoted to the JV team, simply because of a "reputation" that hasn't proven itself at the HS level.

JMO obviously, I'm sure others MMV.....
    Mud, I agree, if my son was not going to be a starter on V I would rather see him play JV and get a lot of playing time. Currently he is a starter.

Congrats to your son Stand, that's a fine accomplishment, and as lancers said, not something that happens very often.

You should be a very proud papa....as I'm sure you are.
    Thanks Mud, I have gotten a lot of good advice on baseball and life off this site from the likes of you and others. I am sure as my son goes down his HS path that I will be on this board looking for more advice. Thanks again!

Another dad of a freshman here. Their first day of try-outs was yesterday. It was a 4 hour practice. They'll make the cuts on Wednesday. His Varsity coach let the boys know ahead of time that all the freshmen will be playing on the freshman team this Spring. My son has been practicing with the HS team 5 days a week after school since school started in the fall, so the varsity coach already has a good idea of what he can do. That takes a lot of the pressure off in a tryout. Even if he has a bad couple days he'll make the team. I'm excited for the experience of HS ball as a dad. The freshman team is loaded and is honestly better than the JV team. The Varsity team is very senior heavy, so next year there's going to be a group of sophomores hoping to make varsity.

To tell the truth, its been rare that I’ve seen a Fr make the V and truly be a producing starter in programs that are strong, unless the VHC is inexperienced or the school is on the small side. There will always be mistakes made, but it should be rare.

That’s so true, but its hard to get some parents to understand that. I know when my boy was a Fr, I understood why he wasn’t put on the V, but dumbfounded he didn’t get put on the JV. But by halfway through the season, I learned why. We lived over 20 miles away in a place where the coaches wouldn’t know jack about him, so he had to earn his bones. Now however, we have a VHC who lives out here and who helps a great deal with the LL and travel teams because his son plays, and things are a lot different.

When I hear any Sr has been cut, it really makes me sad. Its not so bad if they’ve never made the team, but if they’ve been on one of the HS teams for 3 years then get cut, its really heartbreaking to me. We don’t have the other problem because Jrs can only play on the V.

Quote Originally Posted by azmatsfan View Post
    …My son has been practicing with the HS team 5 days a week after school since school started in the fall, so the varsity coach already has a good idea of what he can do. …
    WOW! Coaches around here would pass out from blood loss to the brain if they could have their baseball teams practice all during the school year.

… I'm excited for the experience of HS ball as a dad.
    Wring out every second of enjoyment because the next 4 years fly by!

Mud, I agree, if my son was not going to be a starter on V I would rather see him play JV and get a lot of playing time. Currently he is a starter.
    Darn it, that came out wrong Stand.....I didn't mean to make that sound like I was talking about your son, even if he wasn't a starter (nice to hear the he will be though).

As you said, your son played with the V team during their summer league. I was referring to those freshies who come out to tryouts from other sports, who hadn't played with the V baseball team before, and due to the "talk on the streets" are given a V spot from their "LL" rep, and have yet to prove it on the HS field.

When I hear any Sr has been cut, it really makes me sad. Its not so bad if they’ve never made the team, but if they’ve been on one of the HS teams for 3 years then get cut, its really heartbreaking to me. We don’t have the other problem because Jrs can only play on the V.
    I've pushed for that for the past three years to no avail.

But then again, from the sounds of it, we don't have the baseball demographics at our school that I think you may at yours, so maybe greater minds know better than I.....oh well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast