Thread: What Do I Need To Fix?

Question What Do I Need To Fix?

It's been awhile since I last posted to the forum. Since then, I have been working hard on my swing and I believe it is the best it has ever looked. However, I am always looking for different views and opinons. With that being said, please tell me what you think about it. The ball is placed on the outside corner of the plate and is being hit to the opposite field.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhTBH...ature=youtu.be

wrong Forum.

can a mod please shift to the Coaching section?

I love the back leg Action. don't Change it
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Thanks, Dom! What do you think about the arms/hands?

Blog Entries
    You are way too far from the ball. Thus, you are not slotting your rear elbow next to your side. This will create holes in your swing.

SC

Quote Originally Posted by Swing Coach View Post
    You are way too far from the ball. Thus, you are not slotting your rear elbow next to your side. This will create holes in your swing.

SC
    How should I go about maintaining the slot on a pitch on the outside corner?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Robinson View Post
    How should I go about maintaining the slot on a pitch on the outside corner?
    We cannot really judge the upper Body because the Frame rate is low (thus blurry). It Looks like you are dragging the bat a Little but Overall it is a nice swing. very good lower Body.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

I like that Solo Hitter (or whatever) in your basement. Nice tool. I like your body language, your rhythmic practice swings, and your focus. You definitely look like you mean business which is important. I can't tell too much from the swing itself but it looks very functional if that is the swing you bring to the game. Your back foot looks angled outward in your stance which I think can be a hindrance with some but probably not with you. I really like what the back foot does, that is, it ends up perpendicular, indicating a pretty solid transfer from back leg to front. A lot of kids never get there. I think you do it well because you are taking such an aggressive hack.

Can you give some general details about yourself? Where do you usually bat in the order? Where do you generally get your hits and make your outs? How often do you strike out in, say, 50 at bats? Just curious.

I'm about 5'8", 165lbs and I usually bat in the 5-6-7 part of the Varsity lineup (3-4 in the JV); however, I had a very lunge-y swing last year because I had the wrong mentality about shifting my weight. I got a lot of my hits to the opposite field, and a lot of my outs were hard ground balls to all different parts of the field. Last year, I probably would have struck out 6-7 times out of 50, but that was with my old swing.

I love your intent. Absolutely fantastic desire to hit the ball hard. Can you re-do these swings with some sort of base under your feet? (i.e. boards or something) Tell me, what do you feel around your rear hip socket? Do you feel anything?

Quote Originally Posted by pstein View Post
    I love your intent. Absolutely fantastic desire to hit the ball hard. Can you re-do these swings with some sort of base under your feet? (i.e. boards or something) Tell me, what do you feel around your rear hip socket? Do you feel anything?
    Yeah, I can probably redo the swings with some kind of board under my feet. Also, I can't really explain what I feel in my rear hip, but I can tell you what I think about to get my legs and hips in those positions. After the load and stride, I think about trying to stay back, but I also try to push as hard as I can and extend my front leg. Since I need weight on my front leg to do this, I believe the weight ends up getting shifted effectively without lunging forward because I am still actually trying to stay back. I don't know if this makes sense, but that's how I'm currently thinking.

Your back elbow goes down, but your back shoulder has not moved down with it, therefore losing power.

erase bbf sportyboy.JPG

BTW, the tee placement is good for a normal hit up the middle. At contact, the ball should be at the ball of your front foot. However, if you're trying to hit an outside pitch, you should move the ball back near the heel of your foot. (Of course this could be a weird camera angle)

I got a lot of my hits to the opposite field
    Fix the shoulder.
    Last edited by songtitle; 02-05-2013 at 05:52 AM.
    eFastball.com hitting and pitching fact checker

Quote Originally Posted by songtitle View Post
    Your back elbow goes down, but your back shoulder has not moved down with it, therefore losing power.

erase bbf sportyboy.JPG

BTW, the tee placement is good for a normal hit up the middle. At contact, the ball should be at the ball of your front foot. However, if you're trying to hit an outside pitch, you should move the ball back near the heel of your foot. (Of course this could be a weird camera angle)

Fix the shoulder.
    How low should the shoulder get? Also, I think the camera angle is what causes that look.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Robinson View Post
    How low should the shoulder get? Also, I think the camera angle is what causes that look.
    Here's Pujols at roughly the same stage.
    erase bbf201302.JPG

His back shoulder is driving down and around.

Here's Pujols at roughly the same stage.
    erase bbf201302.JPG

His back shoulder is driving down and around.
    You must have good eyes. I don't see too much of a difference between the 2 pictures. Looks like the Pujois one is slightly later in the swing.

Quote Originally Posted by omg View Post
    You must have good eyes. I don't see too much of a difference between the 2 pictures. Looks like the Pujois one is slightly later in the swing.
    I froze him (apologies to T Williams) at the moment his back elbow 'touched' his hip.

Pujols' hip is turned more (see the upturned heel), and his shoulders are further down and around.

I froze him (apologies to T Williams) at the moment his back elbow 'touched' his hip.
    Freeze him 1 frame later and see what it looks like.

Alright, tonight I will take a couple swings with more emphasis on dropping the shoulder.