Thread: Brandon Webb retires

Brandon Webb retires

This guy had a world of potential, but couldn't stay healthy towards the end of his career. The 2006 Cy Young Award winner led the league in wins twice, games started twice, ERA+ twice and batters faced once. In total, he played only seven years, but what a solid seven years they were.

Brandon Webb is retiring from baseball. Webb drew a bit of interest this winter from teams like the Mets, Phillies, Marlins and Nationals but he was never offered a contract.
    http://www.fantasysp.com/player/mlb/...-from-baseball
    Last edited by Cowtipper; 01-03-2014 at 06:10 AM.

Definitely. Actually, I believe he would have had a hall of fame career if it was not derailed by injuries. Tough break, Webb. I tip my hat to ya.

In the 00s there have been many quality pitchers that have "lost it" due to injuries. And it's a shame. When talking about HOF certainties in these past 12 years, only Halladay, Sabathia and Pettite seem to have almost a lock. I'm not counting for the Verlanders and Kershaws of today.

There's another breed of dominant pitchers, that won't make it, but do have some longevity: Hudson, Carpenter, Buerhle, Oswalt. Hudson's case looks better, since he's been very consistent through out his career.

The comes the aforementioned group. These people could've been among the best pitchers in the decade, some even had the title, but "lost it": Santana, Webb, Peavy (I'm still hoping for a comeback though), Sheets, Mulder, Schmidt. All career-altering injuries.

Of the present pitchers I see going the same way: Lincecum and Ubaldo Jimenez. Too bad.

As for Webb? His 142 ERA+ ranks 11th all time. The only two modern starting pitchers ahead of him? Some guys named Pedro and Clemens, the best peak pitcher ever and the best career pitcher ever. Not too shabby.
    "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
    George Brett

Quote Originally Posted by yankillaz View Post
    In the 00s there have been many quality pitchers that have "lost it" due to injuries. And it's a shame. When talking about HOF certainties in these past 12 years, only Halladay, Sabathia and Pettite seem to have almost a lock. I'm not counting for the Verlanders and Kershaws of today.

There's another breed of dominant pitchers, that won't make it, but do have some longevity: Hudson, Carpenter, Buerhle, Oswalt. Hudson's case looks better, since he's been very consistent through out his career.

The comes the aforementioned group. These people could've been among the best pitchers in the decade, some even had the title, but "lost it": Santana, Webb, Peavy (I'm still hoping for a comeback though), Sheets, Mulder, Schmidt. All career-altering injuries.

Of the present pitchers I see going the same way: Lincecum and Ubaldo Jimenez. Too bad.

As for Webb? His 142 ERA+ ranks 11th all time. The only two modern starting pitchers ahead of him? Some guys named Pedro and Clemens, the best peak pitcher ever and the best career pitcher ever. Not too shabby.
    Fair assessment but I'll disagree with you on Pettite - he screwed himself. Tim Hudson might surprise us and get in; Lincecum was on the road to getting in but I'm not so sure he'll be durable enough, either.
    We own the West!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Quote Originally Posted by Zito75 View Post
    Fair assessment but I'll disagree with you on Pettite - he screwed himself. Tim Hudson might surprise us and get in; Lincecum was on the road to getting in but I'm not so sure he'll be durable enough, either.
    Yeah, forgot the whole PED thing with Pettite.
    "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
    George Brett

Blog Entries
    Webb was a really, really good pitcher. It's a shame that his career took a nosedive at such a young age.

With a minimum of 1,000 IP, only ten pitchers in have averaged at least 5 WAR per 200 IP:

Walter Johnson
    Lefty Grove
    John Hiller
    Roger Clemens
    Randy Johnson
    Pedro Martinez
    Trevor Hoffman
    Mariano Rivera
    Brandon Webb
    Clayton Kershaw (active)

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Webb was a really, really good pitcher. It's a shame that his career took a nosedive at such a young age.

With a minimum of 1,000 IP, only ten pitchers in have averaged at least 5 WAR per 200 IP:

Walter Johnson
    Lefty Grove
    John Hiller
    Roger Clemens
    Randy Johnson
    Pedro Martinez
    Trevor Hoffman
    Mariano Rivera
    Brandon Webb
    Clayton Kershaw (active)
    Wow, good stuff GJ.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post

Walter Johnson
    Lefty Grove
    John Hiller
    Roger Clemens
    Randy Johnson
    Pedro Martinez
    Trevor Hoffman
    Mariano Rivera
    Brandon Webb
    Clayton Kershaw (active)
    He definitely was good without being overpowering...the dbacks sure miss him