Thread: Red Witt, Jimmy Stewart and Jim Durham, former .45s/Astros figures, pass away

Red Witt, Jimmy Stewart and Jim Durham, former .45s/Astros figures, pass away

Red Witt is more well-known for his time with the Pirates, though he spent part of a season with the Astros as well. In 1962, he pitched for the nascent team, appearing in eight games and starting two. He didn't win a game, but could count among his strikeout victims Hall of Famers Orlando Cepeda and Frank Robinson.

George "Red" Witt, longtime Laguna Beach resident, died Jan. 30, 2013 after battling cancer with bravery, good humor, and grace. George enlisted in the Marines during the Korean War, and about that time his great pitching arm was discovered, leading him ultimately to pitch for the Pittsburgh Pirates as they won the 1960 World Series.

George later earned a Masters Degree at Cal State Long Beach, and went on to a successful teaching career at Tustin High School where he met his future wife, Ellen. After retiring from teaching, George discovered his love of singing, and he sang in South Coast Singers, the InSpirit Church Gratitude Choir, and the San Clemente Choral Society. His joyful exuberance and his beautiful voice will be greatly missed.
    Read more:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ora...04#fbLoggedOut

__

Sportscaster Jim Durham called games for the Astros in the 1980s.

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) — ESPN radio announcer Jim Durham, who called NBA games for the network, has died. He was 65.

ESPN said Monday that Durham died over the weekend at his home in Tomball, Texas. A cause of death was not announced.
    Read more:

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article...#ixzz2BOIVorFa

__

Jimmy Stewart donned an Astros cap in 1972 and 1973, the final two years of his career. He joined the team in the big trade that sent Joe Morgan, Cesar Geronimo, Jack Billingham and Denis Menke to the Cincinnati Reds.

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. – Jimmy Stewart, the former Austin Peay baseball great who was a member of the university’s first athletic Hall of Fame class, and enjoyed a 10-year major league baseball career, died Saturday in Tampa, Fla.

A former Govs third baseman/shortstop, Steward was inducted into the APSU Athletics Hall of Fame in 1978-79 along with George Fisher, Halbert Harvill, Dick Hays, Tom Morgan, Stella Schupp and broadcaster Earl Walton a year after Dave Aaron was the lone inductee when the Hall of Fame was initiated in 1977-78.
    Read more:

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/view...y-Stewart-dies
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently for sale: Lots of Dave Winfield and Vernon Wells!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

I remember Red Witt well. He was a half season sensation with the Pirates in 1958. He was something like 9-3 or 10-3 with an ERA way below 2.00- sorry, I didn't look up the exact numbers. He may have been as good as any pitcher in baseball in 1958. But, that was it- he was terrible in 59, went down to the minors for several stretches, pitched part of the year for the Pirates in 1960, then was traded away. I remember that Witt always struggled with his control, but in 58 he was sensational. I think he had a really good season in Triple A in 57, so for a couple of years at least he had things figured out.