Thread: Pitching oddity?

Pitching oddity?

In 1989, Charlie Hough had a W/L% of .435 and an ERA of 4.35. Seems like it would be unusual or even rare for those stats to be "the same" (of course they're not really the same but you know what I mean). Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by westsidegrounds View Post
    In 1989, Charlie Hough had a W/L% of .435 and an ERA of 4.35. Seems like it would be unusual or even rare for those stats to be "the same" (of course they're not really the same but you know what I mean). Any thoughts?
    Lots of numbers in baseball

Of course some of them will be similar.

1893. Ed Delahanty 146 RBI 146 wRC+

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Lots of numbers in baseball

Of course some of them will be similar.

h
    1893. Ed Delahanty 146 RBI 146 wRC+
    Bob Bailey, and most remarkable of all, Johnny Gochnauer.
    Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Adam Dunn

and some more characters needed in this post

Six pitchers have had an ERA of 5.00 and a .500 W/L%.

In 1951, Al Dark had 114 runs and OPS+.
    Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    Six pitchers have had an ERA of 5.00 and a .500 W/L%.
    That's the kind of thing I was wondering about. There's really a pretty narrow margin here - I think - cause there's probably nobody who had a .750 W/L% and a 7.50 ERA one season ....

That's the kind of thing I was wondering about. There's really a pretty narrow margin here - I think - cause there's probably nobody who had a .750 W/L% and a 7.50 ERA one season ....
    There are 31 pitchers with 50 or more innings pitched whose WL was a tenth of their ERA, recently Greinke with 417.

The rest are here:

http://bbref.com/pi/shareit/UIS2L

The top(?) was 538 by Doug Davis in 2000.

The toughest luck was 250 by Denny Riddleberger in 1972.
    Last edited by Jackaroo Dave; 02-06-2013 at 05:39 PM.

In 1888, Fave Foutz had a 120 ERA+ and a 120 OPS+ in 593 PA and 176 IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaldrin View Post
    Not much action in the 19th c. forum, Buzz. Sucks. We need to do something to get it bumping again.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    Not much action in the 19th c. forum, Buzz. Sucks. We need to do something to get it bumping again.
    Yep. We need some new controversy or good argument fodder. I'll put on my thinking cap

Yep. We need some new controversy or good argument fodder. I'll put on my thinking cap
    My great great grandfather told me that Lip Pike used deer antler spray in 1873 when he led the league with 4 HRs. Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    My great great grandfather told me that Lip Pike used deer antler spray in 1873 when he led the league with 4 HRs. Discuss.

But seriously: in 1881 he was accused of throwing games, & was banned from the NL at season's end.

PS - Hi, Jack!
    Last edited by westsidegrounds; 02-18-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Dave the Fave!

But seriously: in 1881 he was accused of throwing games, & was banned from the NL at season's end.

PS - Hi, Jack!
    Your great great grandfather or Lip Pike?

Your great great grandfather or Lip Pike?

Actually, if there were any real ambiguity as to who the pronoun in Post 13 referred to, it would be between Lip Pike and ipitch's great great grandfather.