Thread: 2013 ZiPS projections

2013 ZiPS projections

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...nnesota-twins/

Twins-Depth.png

Doesn't look good for the Twinkies.

ONE player, Mauer, projects to be above average

Yeah, hasn't looked good up there for a while. i lived in downtown Minneapolis from 2001-2005 and saw a lot of great Twins teams play in that "giant inflated toilet" as the Metrodome was called by a radio sports guy up there 10 years ago. Too bad they fell apart after the building of that beautiful stadium. The fans up there certainly deserve better. The AL Central has been winnable just about every year, the Tigers look real good with V-Mart healthy, but if the Twins damn ownership would stop being so tight fisted with the purse strings, I think they could really compete again.

Oh well, and if my aunt had a pair she would be my uncle...
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"I sure was having a picnic with Frisch. You oughta seen the fellows in the clubhouse when I was puttin' him on. They was duckin' behind posts, tryin' to keep Frank from seein' how they was laughin', an' I had a time keepin' a straight face myself. I hope Frank manages the Cardinals forever. I sure love to drive that Dutchman nuts!" Dizzy Dean

For starters, that is one of the most pathetic projection tools I've ever seen. Secondly, there doesn't seem to be much "projecting" going on within the program. I will admit, the Twins do not look like a team that is going to be a threat to win the World Series or the American League, and in all probability, not even the AL Central, but this is a team loaded with many possibilities and they could surprise some people. Don't get me wrong, my money is on this team winning 70-80 games, but all it takes is for 3-4 of the "if's" to come through and they could make the Central interesting. They could pack a solid lineup, but the pitching looks horrible! I was really hoping to see them be a bit more aggressive when it came to free agent pitchers. There were some solid middle-of-the-road starters that signed for next to nothing or signed minor league contracts that would have been nice to have. They will only be as good as their pitching and it looks like a sad rotation and bullpen.

Has Kyle Lohse signed with anyone yet? He was well liked when he pitched there a decade ago. Man, he looked like a high school kid with that baby face on the mound back then! I will miss him in St. Louis, and he would be great for the Twins if he hasn't been picked up by anyone else yet.

"I sure was having a picnic with Frisch. You oughta seen the fellows in the clubhouse when I was puttin' him on. They was duckin' behind posts, tryin' to keep Frank from seein' how they was laughin', an' I had a time keepin' a straight face myself. I hope Frank manages the Cardinals forever. I sure love to drive that Dutchman nuts!" Dizzy Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    Has Kyle Lohse signed with anyone yet? He was well liked when he pitched there a decade ago. Man, he looked like a high school kid with that baby face on the mound back then! I will miss him in St. Louis, and he would be great for the Twins if he hasn't been picked up by anyone else yet.
    The last team I heard tied to him was the Rangers, but they said they had no interest. Lohse is trying to parlay a career-year into a windfall as he wants "three years at a high annual average salary". That's going to be tough to get as he could be seen as a pitcher coming off a flukish season. But he is a Boras client, so odds are they're waiting for some team's pitcher to go down this spring with an injury or for some teams to begin panicking about their current rotations.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

He also didn't sign until real late a few years ago. I can't remember now if that was with your Phillies or the Reds. Lohse was solid in St. Louis, he did pitch through some forearm issues and had surgery, so that slowed him down a lot for a couple years. LaRussa also had the feeling that as the season wore on, he would put Kyle on a shorter leash. He wrote in his book One Last Strike that that pissed Lohse off, same with Garcia. That's also why Tony would pull those guys so quick in the 2011 postseason.

He would be a solid 3-5 guy on a lot of teams, or even higher if he went to a really bad team. Pitching in St. Louis helped, as did having Dave Duncan there all those years to work with him (ironically, though not for his best season in 2012). I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't go real quick here, a guy that had a season like he did in '12 won't be hanging around unsigned for too much longer, not with all these boarder line competitors/great teams that could really use a solid arm to anchor the back end of the rotation.

Of course he wants to get paid after that 2012 campaign, but you are right that teams could see it as a "flukish" season. It could very well be that they are also trying to sweat him out into signing a shorter deal, with his recent injury history in St. Louis, and lack of any real postseason success.

I believe that signing Lohse also means that team who signed him has to forfeit an early draft pick. With questions about how he can pitch outside of St Louie and giving up an early pick, it's no surprise to me that Kyle is receiving no better than luke-warm interest.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Yeah, something that went into the most recent collective bargaining agreement, as was reported on ESPN back in January. It was also holding up Michael Bourn
    too before he got signed. He will certainly end up somewhere, I think it would be nice if he went back to Minneapolis, whether he wants to or not! Probably not getting picky at this stage!