Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Is throwing a slider safe for a HS Freshman?

Quote Originally Posted by scorekeeper View Post
    Obviously you’ve never paid attention to the movie “Johnny Dangerously”. Its FARGIN! Jeez, I thot you wuz edumacted. Wat a maroon!
    "You fargin' bastages!"

farging iceholes!!!

Another study with no clear definition of a curve ball but this study helps clarify it for me. Since the greatest majority of these kids were playing on the small diamond, their curves must have supinated the forearm in order to be effective. The pitching distance is just too short to get an effective MLB to break. That being the case, both of the pitches studied were a slider and a slurve both of which necessitate forced supination. Neither pitch would have been a true MLB curve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daque View Post
    … The pitching distance is just too short to get an effective MLB to break. …
    I have to admit that I once saw a for real MLB type 12/6 curve thrown from a 46’ mound. Of course the guy throwing it was a 6’6”/275 pounder who was 36YO and before blowing out his hip, was a super starter at Az State and had signed a contract. He did it, but it only “broke” about a foot from rotation. The rest was gravity because it was thrown so slowly.

Point being, there ain’t a lot of 12Us I’ve seen who have the coordination, skill, and pure strength to get enough rotations on a baseball to make it curve much on a 46/60 field.
    The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

Point being, there ain’t a lot of 12Us I’ve seen who have the coordination, skill, and pure strength to get enough rotations on a baseball to make it curve much on a 46/60 field. [/QUOTE]

Nor, for that matter, on the 60/90 field either. But they can if they add lateral rotation to the vertical viaa supination.

Quote Originally Posted by daque View Post
    Point being, there ain’t a lot of 12Us I’ve seen who have the coordination, skill, and pure strength to get enough rotations on a baseball to make it curve much on a 46/60 field.
    Nor, for that matter, on the 60/90 field either. But they can if they add lateral rotation to the vertical viaa supination.[/QUOTE]

I saw a few pitchers in travel ball on a 54/80 field that had some great curve balls. My son, for whatever reason I can't explain, could throw a curve ball for strikes when he was 12 on a 50/70 field.

Now at 60/90 in 14U he is struggling so far to get his curve ball to break. Go figure.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213