Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Carpenter

One of the Greatest Carpinal Pitchers Ever

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"The last guy who ran as badly as Bill Buckner was Long John Silver." Mark Heisler, sportswriter

"I'm getting by on three pitches now - a curve, a change-up, and whatever you want to call that thing that used to be a fastball." Frank Tanana

"The last guy who ran as badly as Bill Buckner was Long John Silver." Mark Heisler, sportswriter

"I'm getting by on three pitches now - a curve, a change-up, and whatever you want to call that thing that used to be a fastball." Frank Tanana

#29 - Put it on the OF Wall at Busch Stadium with 17 and 45!

In franchise history only Dizzy Dean, Bob Gibson, John Tudor and Chris Carpenter have made 3 starts in a 7 game World Series. That's pretty good company!

chris-carpenter.jpg

chris-carpente.jpg

Dave+Duncan+2011+World+Series+Game+5+St+Louis+hq7GH3VMReBl.jpg

Lance+Lynn+2011+World+Series+Game+7+Texas+_XfikxDdjqAl.jpg

Pittsburgh+Pirates+v+St+Louis+Cardinals+7hJLonLp_Kfl.jpg

World Series Hero - 2006 and 2011

He is 10-4 in the postseason for the St. Louis Cardinals, the most postseason wins in franchise history. One came in a brilliant Game 3 performance in the 2006 Series (only needed 80 pitches to get through 8 shutout innings in the win), and two more came in the 2011 Series, in Game 1 and Game 7. Had he not been injured during the 2004 postseason, the Red Sox may have had to wait until 2007 to break their ridiculous "curse"!

r-CHRIS-CARPENTER-large570.jpg

world_series_cardinals_chris_carpenter_a_l.jpg

World-Series-Rangers-Cardinals-Baseball-Chris-Carpenter.jpg

Picked this tidbit up off Sports Illustrated online, from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch -

Chris Carpenter could have future in Cardinals' front office

If [Chris Carpenter] wants to do something with the St. Louis Cardinals, we would certainly welcome that," general manager John Mozeliak said of Carpenter's life after pitching. "When the time comes to discuss that my door will be open. I look forward to that conversation. He is someone who is so competitive and so passionate about this game that I don't know if working in the front office is going to appease that. But we'll see. Great guy. Wonderful teammate. So, we'll see."

Chris Carpenter has officially retired.

Ace of Cards' title teams, Carpenter calls it a career
    Cy winner in '05 lauded for leadership qualities, may take on new role with club

By Joey Nowak - MLB.com 20NOV2013 - 1526 EST

After a decade with the Cardinals, Chris Carpenter will retire from the starting rotation, where he served as the team's ace and the staff's clubhouse leader for most of his tenure. But the team hopes he will not be leaving the organization.

General manager John Mozeliak, who held a news conference on Wednesday alongside manager Mike Matheny and team chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. to announce a three-year contract extension for Matheny, made the announcement.

Mozeliak said the team would have discussions with Carpenter early in 2014 about him taking on a new role within the organization.

"I do believe there will be an opportunity for him to contribute in some way," Mozeliak said.

The 38-year-old right-hander, who won the 2005 National League Cy Young Award and finished third in the voting the following year, made just three appearances in the past two years because of multiple injuries.

"He will always be remembered as one of the great players in Cardinal history, having been a part of and a core piece of and without whom we wouldn't have been to a lot of these positions of four pennants and two world championships during his tenure here as the leader of the pitching staff," DeWitt said.

Carpenter, a three-time All-Star, two-time World Series champion and the 2009 Comeback Player of the Year, was drafted by the Blue Jays in the first round (15th overall) of the 1993 First-Year Player Draft. He won 49 games over six seasons with Toronto before he was released in 2002.

Carpenter signed as a free agent with the Cards that December, and he reappeared in the big leagues in '04, when he went 15-5. In each of his full seasons with St. Louis, he won at least 11 games.

But Carpenter missed most of the spring last year with shoulder and neck issues that later required thoracic outlet surgery, and he announced in February that the injury again would keep him out for the 2013 season.

Carpenter, who was set to be a free agent this winter, kept a role with the club despite never taking the mound this season and helped to mentor ace Adam Wainwright, as well as the rest of the team's talented young pitching staff.

"His leadership and leading by example I think created what we now see with the Adam Wainwrights of the world and hopefully what we see with these young guys like Michael Wacha, Shelby Miller coming," Mozeliak said.

Carpenter finishes his career with a 144-94 record and a 3.76 ERA, and a 10-4 record with a 3.00 ERA in 18 postseason starts.

I was going to add a video from mlb.com about the career of Chris Carpenter, but those criminals crammed a ton of ads all over it for a damned jewelry store. I don't care to provide them with free advertising here, so there will be no video. Shameless, disgusting, product whoring all the time and all over the place...

I hope you stick with the team in some capacity Carp! Thanks for the memories. We certainly wouldn't have those last two flags without his contributions.

How could you forget this one?

P20-111009-a2.jpg
    "I go all out, and I'm going to bring that to the table everyday. In good times and in bad times." - Eric Byrnes
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

That was the infamous "shredder" that was started by Nick Punto. They used it quite often during the World Series title run in 2011 while Punto was here. I don't know if he carried the tradition over with the Dodgers last year, and now I guess he is going to the A's which could afford him some more "shredder" opportunities!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12